HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Extra Extra

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:54 am

What ever happened to newspapers? I have been searching for two months for a local paper I can buy. I don't want to subscribe to it, just want to pick it up from time to time. Especially now, while job hunting.

However, I can't find it. Not in any of the local coffee shops, nor the library, nor outside my grocery store.

And then I got to thinking about it. My friends are constantly posting news stories of this nature on their facebook pages. How is that even an appropriately written article - void of sources, quotes, and substance? When did our culture learn to stop reading? News has to be either under 30 seconds on a television, or less than a paragraph on a page for most people to pay attention to it.

This is a dark and scary era indeed.

Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
Irene Adler
That Woman

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:59 am

Granted, the link I gave has a link to the full article. But no one takes the time to read THAT, or it would have been the link they posted. Instead, let's just share the summerized blurb. People have better things to do than read.

Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:59 pm

Amy, we subscribe to our local cities newspaper, if only to give the dogs some exercise each day when the fetch it in for us. My wife reads it from front to back, either first thing in the morning or when she comes home from work (subject for the other thread!! Very Happy )

I have to admit that I am not a newspaper reader. I get my news from TV and RSS on my iphone. I am a little shamed to say that local news does not hold a lot of interest for me. However, we have a place outside the city where we are planning to retire and I do enjoy reading their weekly newspaper front to back every weekend when we are there. I guess that news seems a lot more local and relevant to me than does the stuff they print in the "big city" paper much of which I find far too slanted depending on the political view of the editorial dept.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:22 pm

My Dear Ms. Adler:

It's a cultural thang, which naturally means that the answer is complex. I don't mean complex in the sense of "complicated" (although it's that too); I mean complex in the sense of complexity, meaning there's no simple statement (or formula, or algorithm) that can adequately describe it or represent it.

In plainer English, there's no 30-second sound bite that can fully explain why the attention span of the vast majority of folks doesn't exceed what can be crammed into a 30-second sound bite.

...uh, unless you count the nearly epidemic proliferation of what is generally known as the "ADD brain type". It's really a misnomer. Many people who are diagnosed with "attention deficit disorder" are fully capable of mustering intense, sustained focus on stuff that interests them. But unless they can carve out a lifestyle that's filled with interesting things, they're constantly in seek mode, looking for stimulation.

Surfing the web can easily become an addiction for such folks. They often end up interacting with other ADDers in places like Facebook, which is one of the reasons why it's so popular. It's tailor-made for the ADD brain. Birds of a feather...

Anyhow, there's way more to say, but I've already exceeded my 30-second limit.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:11 pm

It's one trait we pipe smokers have that so few others do - the ability to sit down and relax without all of the distractions. I love to have something in my hands to read when smoking my pipe. Our world is far too busy these days. Far too busy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:02 pm

There is a daily newspaper in the major city near me called the News & Observer that is hanging on by a thread. They are so liberal in nature just like the mainstream tv media that the local joke is: Did you read such and such in the News & Disturber this morning?.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:34 pm

JP, we have much the same in Hotlanta, the Journal-Constitution, call it the Urinal-Constipation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:35 pm

Justpipes wrote:
There is a daily newspaper in the major city near me called the News & Observer that is hanging on by a thread. They are so liberal in nature just like the mainstream tv media that the local joke is: Did you read such and such in the News & Disturber this morning?.

And dat's de truth!! One sorry rag!! Started over a century ago by one Josephus Daniels. Old Joe was Secretary of the Navy in the late 1890's/early 1900's. Took away the swabby's rum ration (grog) and substituted coffee. That's how a cup of coffee became a "Cup of Joe (or Cup a' Joe)!!" It's da trut!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:42 pm

Miz Amy,

Please call the Hampton Daily Press at 757-247-4800. Customer Service will gladly tell you where to find an outlet for their rag!!!!!!! FTRPLT

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:58 pm

Newspapers have been such transparent propaganda organs for the cartel that owns them that their credibility with people in general is about on a par with used car salesmen (no offense, Doc). They're reaping what they've sown.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Yak:

Ten-four on that. It has become virtually axiomatic that the "news" isn't new at all.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:06 am

Yak wrote:
Newspapers have been such transparent propaganda organs for the cartel that owns them that their credibility with people in general is about on a par with used car salesmen (no offense, Doc). They're reaping what they've sown.

What a Face

and now even a sales pitch for E books!!!! lol!
Our newspapers are Crap, I never buy them!
Back to top Go down
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:30 am

Our local newspaper?, The Oak Ridger, was at one time a very readable, well balanced, journal. Now it is a rapidly shrinking, mostly inaccurate, bird cage liner. I'm afraid that that's the way most small newspapers are going. Sleep
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:43 am

Our local, the New Haven Register (a/k/a the Rag-ister) has been terrible basically since they stopped publishing an evening edition. It's not biased, just lazy, and with a super-early press deadline that makes it largely irrelevant if something happens between the 8 o'clock and 11 o'clock news.

CT also has the oldest continuously-published newspaper in the US, the Hartford Courant, which is generally pretty good, but lost a ton of credibility when it came to light that they'd been killing stories that were unflattering to advertisers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:09 am

[/quote]

Our newspapers are Crap, I never buy them![/quote

I had the opportunity to spend about 30 days traipsing around East Africa, back before it went completely to hell. After a couple of weeks in the bush, on a trip into Nairobi, I picked up the local paper, looked at the front page where the headline was "Local Man Eaten By Lions".

Now that is a headline lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irene Adler
That Woman

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:59 am

ftrplt wrote:
Miz Amy,

Please call the Hampton Daily Press at 757-247-4800. Customer Service will gladly tell you where to find an outlet for their rag!!!!!!! FTRPLT

Thank you, FTRPLT. =)
Back to top Go down
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:52 am

If you're into reading on-line newspapers, here's a good listing for them-- The Paper Boy If you miss or have ever wondered about the small town weeklies (very weakly), then this might help-- The Sun Sorry no huge squash or extra long cucumbers pics shown this week. Laughing

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Extra Extra   Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Back to top Go down

Extra Extra
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: