HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Julius Vesz on CNN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
gandalfpc

Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:09 pm

Tried to give him that benefit of the doubt - but he was pretty clear that he was the last maker that didn't use "green briar" and the last to continue the "old method" - and that green briar would not smoke - thus he is truly the last pipe maker Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:12 pm

While he is obnoxious at the age of 78, aren't most of us any way.
Regardless, there were some really nice looking pipes.
But they belonged to Mickey Rooney, Gerald Ford, or cost $12,000
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:24 pm

fmw wrote:
What an annoying interviewer
Most people suck at listening. As a culture, we don't encourage listening. The guy was really impatient and rude. Don't ask a question if you don't have the time to listen to the reply. I don't care what the context might be. They both have their heads up their asses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nitschke066

Registration date : 2010-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:08 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Well if I ever intended to buy one of his Overpriced junkwood POS I sure aint now..

Wonder how many other people that I kinda think are cool are actually dickheads I couldn't sit down and have a smoke n coffee with.
AMEN PB!! I've often wondered the same...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:37 pm

Nitschke066 wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
Well if I ever intended to buy one of his Overpriced junkwood POS I sure aint now..

Wonder how many other people that I kinda think are cool are actually dickheads I couldn't sit down and have a smoke n coffee with.

PB / Nitschke066:
I too feel the same way. I call it the "bar Stool test". Basically, if I can sit down and have a few drinks with a person and not: hit them / puke / fall asleep /walk away in the middle of a sentence, etc. THEN I can say we are on the same plain as men. I doubt I could listen to him for very long. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:20 am

DoverPipes wrote:
Nitschke066 wrote:
puros_bran wrote:

PB / Nitschke066:
I too feel the same way. I call it the "bar Stool test". Basically, if I can sit down and have a few drinks with a person and not: hit them / puke / fall asleep /walk away in the middle of a sentence, etc. THEN I can say we are on the same plain as men. I doubt I could listen to him for very long. Rolling Eyes

Good thinking there Batman!!!
Back to top Go down
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:07 am

DoverPipes wrote:

PB / Nitschke066:

I agree. It's hard enough to find local folks who have much in common with me.

I guess if I could find someone who wanted to sit a spell smoking a pipe, sipping their favorite adult beverage, and whispering bits of theology, fly fishing techniques and stories, or tales of the war of northern aggression into the wee hours it would be a good conversation and time well spent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:45 am

TallSmoke wrote:
DoverPipes wrote:

PB / Nitschke066:

I agree. It's hard enough to find local folks who have much in common with me.

I guess if I could find someone who wanted to sit a spell smoking a pipe, sipping their favorite adult beverage, and whispering bits of theology, fly fishing techniques and stories, or tales of the war of northern aggression into the wee hours it would be a good conversation and time well spent.

Besides your Buddies on BoB!!!! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Ah, yes, I'm still hoping for an International BoB Summit someday. Laughing

All the BoB's I've met in person have been both scholars and gentlemen! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:17 pm

TallSmoke wrote:
Ah, yes, I'm still hoping for an International BoB Summit someday. Laughing

All the BoB's I've met in person have been both scholars and gentlemen! cheers

3 Cheers to that Tall One!!
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
happypipester

Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 pm

I remember seeing something about Vesz when I was about 13 (my interest in pipes started at about 12-13 lol) and I thought the guy seemed like a jack@$$ then... looks like things haven't changed Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crimus

Registration date : 2010-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 am

I know I'll probably get bashed for being the only person not to bash Julius, but I figured I'd go ahead and create an account here just so I could share some of my thoughts.

I'll start by saying that I am a friend of Julius'. I only met him about a year ago, but since then, have been visiting him in his shop weekly for a 2-4 hour smoke and chat.

As someone else has already stated, the interviewer was crap and kept cutting Julius off. When I showed Julius the clip on my phone, he was not impressed, and also told me that the reported was there for about 5 hours to slap together that 7 minute piece.

Julius is not cocky, but he is definitely proud of his work, and takes pride in making his pipes using his 50+ years of honing his trade.

Keep in mind that english is not his first language and he is an old man. Until you've gotten to know him in person, it's very easy to misunderstand him.

One person keeps saying how can he have dead root when it became exinct 29 years ago, and someone else that doesn't 's the only one who has it. Yes it went extinct, and Julius still has it left because over the last few years it was around, everytime Julius had a few thousand dollars he can spend, he would buy it in bulk, and had collected enough to keep him going to this day. There's no way to confirm 100% he's the only one who has left, but I believe him as the only pipe makers I've seen to claim they have dead root are carvers that were not carving when the root was going extinct to have been around to stock up on it.

On the topic of dead root, to each his own....we all have our own tastes. In Julius' opinion, nothing smokes better, and he's not afraid to share his opinion of dead root, or to be proud of being the only one left with it. I for one agree with him, but that's just my personal taste. I sold of a collection of 37 pipes to upgrade to a collection of 10 Julius Vesz pipes. I won't smoke anything else, and even if I wasn't a Vesz purist, I'd have at least one in my collection simply for the rarity of dead root and the fact that Julius probably won't be doing this for much longer.

As for the pricing of his pipes, that was the reason I took so long to actually visit Julius after years of smoking. It wasn't until I took the time to read some articles about him in which the reporter stated that Julius is a firm believer that a smoker of any budget should be able to afford his pipes and that Julius custom made one for his price range. I went into Julius' store and explained how I loved the raindrop pipe with silver bands but couldn't afford one. He asked me my price range and told me to come back in a week. One week later I had a beautful raindrop for $300, and my pipe collection began it's transformation as I knew I could control the price of every pie I buy from him. He is more then willing to do this for anyone who walks into the store or calls him.

Most of his product that you find online, is not a true representation of his range. He doesn't use the internet at all, doesn't run his website, or keep it up to date. The few stores I have seen selling his stuff online usually have it overpriced because of the rarity of his stuff online, the costs they incu for overhead, and shipping in from another country, and because there are people out there happy to overpay for a pipe from Julius. Having seen him at work, 8 out of ten pipes he makes are priced at about $165. the majority of them are sold in his shop or to small pipe stores around the world. The majority of his hand cut pipes that are priced between300-900 are in boxes behind the counter in the store. No one gets to see them unless you know to ask to see them, and there's a lot of them.

In closing, Don't judge him without getting to know him and understanding him. It's impossible not to like this guy if you have a good attitude and are a respectful person, otherwise he doesn't expend his energy on negative people. He loves to share and help peoplel. He is patient and a great story teller. He's the grandfather I wished I always had. I can totally see why everyone is judging him as they have been if all you have to go one is that interview and another forum I've seen with people bashing him for being proud.

PS He is the last one referred to dead root briar carving and the last of his line as no one in the family is taking over for him to continue his unique (as every pipe maker should be unique) style.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:16 am

crimus wrote:
I know I'll probably get bashed for being the only person not to bash Julius,...

This ain't that kind of place.
Welcome to BoB.

I don't think we were "bashing" him so much
as just havin' a little fun over that video.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:18 am

Still seems to me that he is more interested in self promotion than he is in giving the repect deserved to all of the hard working pipe makers in this world. Hardly a crime, but less than endearing.

But perhaps you are right that the language barrier has caused some misconceptions here...

This has ruined my plans for future jokes involving carving my pipes using only a small diamond chip carefully tied to a toothpick using silver twine (gold being too soft)...

Oh well, we can always poke fun at Walnut Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:14 am

gandalfpc wrote:
Still seems to me that he is more interested in self promotion than he is in giving the repect deserved to all of the hard working pipe makers in this world. Hardly a crime, but less than endearing.

But perhaps you are right that the language barrier has caused some misconceptions here...

This has ruined my plans for future jokes involving carving my pipes using only a small diamond chip carefully tied to a toothpick using silver twine (gold being too soft)...

Oh well, we can always poke fun at Walnut Smile

Gandalf........ bring it on, my turn to get whacked for digging Walnut.
Say if you come over my place you can smoke some in a fossilized bone pipe!
Brilliant combo bro,

PS. No one here really thinks badly of the old guy!..... hell, you should see what the guys do to me and JP for smoking Walnut.
And for the record, I ditto what Hermit said!
Welcome to bob!
Back to top Go down
DoverPipes

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:41 am

Crimus,
First of all, welcome to B.O.B.
This is a place where we speak our minds and sometimes have a little fun while doing it. Julius came off very poorly in that CNN piece. I think we can all agree on that. I have known a few people who have owned Vesz' pipes and honestly, I don't remember anyone gushing over what a deal they got. Most felt, dollar for dollar, they could have done much better.

Not trying to knock him per se, just saying that his pipes seem to be nothing special. I know that may come as a shock to you since you own a bunch of his pipes already. How many do you own from other carvers? Jan Pietenpauw & Son, Mark Tinsky, Kurt Huhn, The Roveras, Brian Ruthenberg, Rad Davis, etc

Variety is the spice of life and to each his own (should I use more or less cliches'?). Enjoy what you smoke and I hope you understand where we are coming from.

Feel free to send me one for a "test drive", maybe I'll recant my statements Rolling Eyes

Now, go have a big plate of Poutin and a Brador and relax............ Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:52 pm

DoverPipes wrote:
Crimus,
This is a place where we speak our minds and sometimes have a little fun while doing it. Julius came off very poorly in that CNN piece. I think we can all agree on that. I have known a few people who have owned Vesz' pipes and honestly, I don't remember anyone gushing over what a deal they got. Most felt, dollar for dollar, they could have done much better.

Not trying to knock him per se, just saying that his pipes seem to be nothing special. I know that may come as a shock to you since you own a bunch of his pipes already. How many do you own from other carvers? Jan Pietenpauw & Son, Mark Tinsky, Kurt Huhn, The Roveras, Brian Ruthenberg, Rad Davis, etc

Variety is the spice of life and to each his own (should I use more or less cliches'?). Enjoy what you smoke and I hope you understand where we are coming from.

Feel free to send me one for a "test drive", maybe I'll recant my statements Rolling Eyes

BoB's media liaison officer has spoken.
lol!
Agreed Dover,
I have never smoked one of the old mans pipes so I shall reserve comment on them.
Besides I can have 3 Tinsky's, Pietenpauw's, etc for the price of one!
Back to top Go down
DoverPipes

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:55 pm

Piet Binsbergen wrote:
DoverPipes wrote:
Crimus,

BoB's media liaison officer has spoken.
lol!
Agreed Dover,
I have never smoked one of the old mans pipes so I shall reserve comment on them.
Besides I can have 3 Tinsky's, Pietenpauw's, etc for the price of one!

Piet,
MY POINT EXACTLY!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:56 pm

[quote="crimus"]As someone else has already stated, the interviewer was crap and kept cutting Julius off. When I showed Julius the clip on my phone, he was not impressed, and also told me that the reported was there for about 5 hours to slap together that 7 minute piece.[quote]

The reporter WAS crap,,,and although the clip came off poorly there's 40 posts and 440 views here all on the topic of Julius Vesz and his pipes. I'm sure from now on when anyone here runs across one of his pipes they'll take notice.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Bad publicity may work for Hollywood, but I don't think that works for pipe makers...

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:30 pm

gandalfpc wrote:
Bad publicity may work for Hollywood, but I don't think that works for pipe makers...

Smile
Gandalfpc ....... name replaced!!!!!
Gandalfhc.......... "Hard core" Cool

Gandalf....... PM sent!
Back to top Go down
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:04 pm

gandalfpc wrote:

Smile
Hmmmmm. Check out the flood of value-priced Julius Vesz pipes that just arrived on ebay. But HURRY. At those "Buy It Now" prices, they won't last long.

Vesz on Ebay
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StephenDownie

Registration date : 2008-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:33 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
So the Time of the Gathering has begun! The pipemakers of the world will duel for each others' power... there can be only one!

I bet I could take him lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.downiepipes.com

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:03 am

Brilliant Stephen!!! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Androc

Registration date : 2012-01-02

PostSubject: Julius Vesz   Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:31 pm

I've spent a few hours with Julius over the years. He treated me with respect and showed his extensive collection of various pipes.

He explained how his forefather's were pipe maker's to various kings in Europe. Whom are we to argue? If I was the past or close to the last of a dying trade, I would think I was special too. Julius did explain to me that his son tried it for a while and realized he could not make a living making pipes in North America.

Julius is a very special special man, I look forward to smoking a pipe full with him in the very near future. A true gentleman and a great person in my book. I've smoked various models of his pipes. I'm not an expert but I will say that I'm very proud to have a few of his pipes.

I will post pictures soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Julius Vesz on CNN
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: