HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Julius Vesz on CNN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Boxerbuddy

Registration date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:54 pm

I don't know guys...the interviewer was clearly an asshat. The names he was dropping seemed to be in response to questions that were cut from the interview...making it seem like he was just dropping the names.
The only thing that I heard that was questionable was when he said he was the last one doing this. Maybe he meant the last one in his family like he said afterwards?
He clearly said that other pipe makers were using green briar...which is acknowledgement that other pipe makers exist. I don't think he meant he was the last pipemaker alive.

He is obviously proud of his work, as many of us would be had we dedicated our lives to perfecting a very specific craft.

He seems like a nice older gentleman as far as I'm concerned. If I'm ever in Toronto I'll make sure to stop by his shop and see if I can have a chat with him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 am

Watching the interview, Julius seems like a very nice man. Some of the things he said I suppose could be attributed to difficulties in language, but Julius seemed to have a very good control of the English language.

He said a few things that seemed... far fetched. When asked, "How many people are doing this worldwide?" and he responded that he's the last... I could explain this as the interviewer post editing his own question to make the interview sound more substantial. The "dead root briar" thing though... that's a sham. If he's gold old wood, then great, but "deadwood" is just a fancy name that some give their wood to make it sound more substantial. All briar used for pipes is dead. Some have wood which is well aged. I point this out because I've seen others use similar titles as well and it's just bologna.

This interview probably makes Julius look great to the common man who doesn't know a thing about pipes. To the rest of us, it makes him sound a bit foolish. I'm willing to blame post editing for some of it, but not all.

On the whole though, Julius did seem like a very jovial person that I would most likely enjoy talking with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
dougc905

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Well, if you go into his shop, be sure to make a beeline for the expensive pipes. If you look at the lower cost pipes first, he won't speak to you unless you go get in his face. Even then, he may simple excuse himself into the back of his shop. Way back when, if he liked you, he would provide a tour of the back his shop. The shop apparently was quite the thing, with Persian carpets on the floor and whatnot.

The deadwood briar claim was all over the pipe collecting press when his pipes were in vogue in the late 1990's / early 2000's. From what I read and infer, for the most part, people have lost interest in his pipes. They are very well made pipes though. Collectors lost interest because of the steep prices demanded and then the sudden availability of pipes from new carvers in the mid-2000's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:03 pm

=

Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Airborne wrote:

(5) Julius does seem to have a good grasp of English, but if he started learning it at the age of 20, then he was fully, completely fluent in his first language (obviously!). Even if he's been in Canada for 55 years and knows English better than most Canadians, under certain circumstances that involve stress or excitement, most people who function in a second language will start thinking in their first language and what comes out isnít necessarily what they intended to say. On this one, Iíd have to give Julius the benefit of the doubt (ref: his saying that heís the only one left making pipes in the world). And because of the editing, we donít know what was said before or after that statement. All we saw was the edited video.

I agree... I felt, without being able to prove it, that Julius Vesz meant he was the only one left in his family that makes handmade pipes... the man knows hundreds of other pipe makers and would have to be delusional if he meant he was the only remaining pipe maker... and he doesn't strike me as being delusional.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rencraft

Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Hail Julius   Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Just wanted to comment on Julius Vesz. I live in Toronto and met Julius for the first time about 33 years ago. I bought one of his cheaper pipes, it was about $ 45.00 then. I came back several times and we sat and talked and smoked a pipe together everytime.
One time when I was there the German National soccer team came in to talk to Julius and buy some of his pipes.
Over the years I purchased from Julius 10 pipes, 3 of them were custom made. They all smoke great and if I ever needed a repair (I tend to bite the stem) Julius would fix me up no charge as we talked in the back room.
Julius has some very strong opinions about life but he is a warm honest man and I value our friendship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Julius Vesz on CNN   Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:41 pm

This is a familiar marketing ploy among artisans who don't have the $$$ to buy teevee time on the Olympics. They try to get a placement on a news outlet, print or broadcast, and then leverage it to move the goods. In this game, a few shaky claims about exclusivity, rarity or materials are considered par for the course. He's an old fella who had a few years near the top of his game, is now being crowded by other carvers and would probably like to clear his remaining inventory, watch soccer and smoke. What the heck. We're all grownups..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Julius Vesz on CNN
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: