HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Breaking In The Cob

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
velveteagle

Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Breaking In The Cob   Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Okay I picked up a 10 inch corn cob pipe on ebay from an estate. I got it pretty cheap and its got an oak shank ? Since It was sent near here it arrived day after mailing. I took it out and put some Walnut blend in it.. Wow.. Talk about nasty burnt taste.. I have never had a cob before so I imagine the inner part has to burn in a bit.. Tasting the burnt cob right now. I will take my time with it. This picture is from ebay and not a good one.. I can now say I have a cob pipe.. I just hope it does not take too long to burn it in so it will not taste like I am burning grape vine. Rolling Eyes
Chuck

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:44 pm

You sure it's not the Walnut you are tasting?

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:14 pm

lol! ,,,tough to tell the difference

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
petertschantz

Registration date : 2010-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:17 am

wow, I haven't experienced that with any of the three cobs i have. There are plenty of folks with more experience than me, I'm sure some one will help you soon.

Nice looking pipe! Hope you get it squared away quick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.petertschantz.com/
velveteagle

PostSubject: Breaking In The Cob   Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:31 am

jhuggett wrote:

cheers I am smoking it in different pipes ( Walnut ) Its a great tobacco to break em in with. I have just a few other blends to try out in the cob. Will be ordering some other blends I have been reading up on on BoB. I will try some mello baccy today in the cob and see whats up. I think it was the fresh burn of the cob giving the taste.. Of course what do I know being such a new guy to the good blends out their.. Time will tell.. Thanks Brothers Of Briar...
Chuck..
Back to top Go down
petertschantz

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:34 am

Chuck I think you'll end up liking the cob quite a bit. I'm getting ready to order another Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman, and a couple Walker's Forever Stems.
Back to top Go down
velveteagle

PostSubject: Breaking In The Cob   Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:25 am

petertschantz wrote:
Chuck I think you'll end up liking the cob quite a bit. I'm getting ready to order another Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman, and a couple Walker's Forever Stems.

I sure hope so.. I enjoy the bigger pipes. The cob just seems like its been around so very long. Many have enjoyed them. I shall give it a good break in and go from there.. The site where the good cobs are at show some beauties made well with the hardwood stems.. Mine has a band to keep the stem from splitting also.. Thanks again.. Will post later on outcome...
Chuck..
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:06 am

You can imagine you're Gen. MacArthur saying "I will return" while smoking it! Hahaha. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
petertschantz

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:21 am

OK, ended up getting a Natural Freehand, another Country Gentleman, and some Danish bits. Mini-PAD attack I guess.
Back to top Go down
velveteagle

PostSubject: Breaking In The Cob   Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:04 am

petertschantz wrote:
OK, ended up getting a Natural Freehand, another Country Gentleman, and some Danish bits. Mini-PAD attack I guess.
Well it sounds like you had fun too.. Good luck..
Back to top Go down
velveteagle

PostSubject: Breaking In The Cob   Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:06 am

MisterE wrote:
You can imagine you're Gen. MacArthur saying "I will return" while smoking it! Hahaha. Very Happy

Yea MisterE... I was thinking the same thing.. Have to give it some time then I can smoke it like a Rooster.. Very Happy
Chuck..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:52 am

velveteagle wrote:
jhuggett wrote:

cheers I am smoking it in different pipes ( Walnut ) Its a great tobacco to break em in with. I have just a few other blends to try out in the cob. Will be ordering some other blends I have been reading up on on BoB. I will try some mello baccy today in the cob and see whats up. I think it was the fresh burn of the cob giving the taste.. Of course what do I know being such a new guy to the good blends out their.. Time will tell.. Thanks Brothers Of Briar...
Chuck..

VE, sweet cob bro............. be careful you might hurt someone with that!!! Laughing
Ignore the dudes, Walnut is a great baccy. It is an on going BOB thing to poke at JP and myself for liking the stuff. It has become somewhat of a tradition here on the board to do so when that word WALNUT is used.
Ken calls it Walmut, or JP's compost............. Laughing

Walnut is a damn fine smoke!!!!!!
OK, fellas Hit me!! ...... but be careful JP is lurking.

On a more serious note, I don't really break in a cob, I just load up and smoke. It takes a bowl or 2 to get the crap varnish, cob, whatever taste that is present! I have only smoked the Missouri Meers tho, that one you have is very classy!
Back to top Go down
velveteagle

PostSubject: Breaking In The Cob   Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:44 am

[quote="Piet Binsbergen"]
velveteagle wrote:
jhuggett wrote:

On a more serious note, I don't really break in a cob, I just load up and smoke. It takes a bowl or 2 to get the crap varnish, cob, whatever taste that is present! I have only smoked the Missouri Meers tho, that one you have is very classy!

Hey Piet.. Your a good sport.. Thanks.. Oh I like WALNUT. I will keep it on hand for the big pipes. Your right about breaking in the cob.. I noticed at the bottom of the pipe it was a bit thin but sealed well so I put some oven dry clay in the bottom of it and fired it up. The second batch of baccy smoked so much better.. It is a big pipe but I like it. Not heavy at all. I think I will use it when I go visit some of the farmers around where I live. With my straw cowboy work hat too.. Its has a hard wood shank that connects to a good bit with a hard ring to keep the bit from cracking it. Have a great weekend...
Chuck...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:44 pm

[quote="velveteagle"]
Piet Binsbergen wrote:
velveteagle wrote:
jhuggett wrote:

Hey Piet.. Your a good sport.. Thanks.. Oh I like WALNUT. I will keep it on hand for the big pipes. Your right about breaking in the cob.. I noticed at the bottom of the pipe it was a bit thin but sealed well so I put some oven dry clay in the bottom of it and fired it up. The second batch of baccy smoked so much better.. It is a big pipe but I like it. Not heavy at all. I think I will use it when I go visit some of the farmers around where I live. With my straw cowboy work hat too.. Its has a hard wood shank that connects to a good bit with a hard ring to keep the bit from cracking it. Have a great weekend...
Chuck...

Cool chuck, have a great one too!
BTW, I really really dig that cob you have bro!
And............welcome to the WALNUT CLUB, you make us proud bro!!
Back to top Go down
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:55 pm

[quote="Piet Binsbergen"]
velveteagle wrote:
Piet Binsbergen wrote:
velveteagle wrote:
jhuggett wrote:

Chuck...

Cool chuck, have a great one too!
BTW, I really really dig that cob you have bro!
And............welcome to the WALNUT CLUB, you make us proud bro!!
I've never tried Walnut. For all the banter about it I almost feel obliged now!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:03 pm

E, give it a bash!
Back to top Go down
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:52 am

I think that's a dare, right P??..... hahahaha. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:00 am

MisterE wrote:
I think that's a dare, right P??..... hahahaha. Laughing
Jip E, go ahead, smoke some Walnut, I dare ya!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
velveteagle

PostSubject: Breaking In The Cob   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:15 am

MisterE I Double Dog Dare Ya.. lol!
Chuck..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:20 am

velveteagle wrote:
Chuck..

Nice one Chuck.......... no pressure, E no pressure!!!!
Back to top Go down
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:59 am

Unless it's an older style of Missouri Meerschaum MacArthur pipe (and it doesn't look like a MM) it might be more difficult to build a cake in. Is there the traditional MM yellow sticker on the bottom or their logo branded into the hardwood plug on the bottom? MM pipes are soaked in a plaster of pares solution so that they are almost a hybrid cob/clay pipe. The cobs absorb the clay well and give them a very different character (and ability to resist burning) than an un-treated cob pipe.

If it's another brand, it might be bare cob and that, I would think (never had one, so this is just conjecture) would be hard to get a cake in and I would think it would burn easily?

Just my thoughts,

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Natch wrote:
Unless it's an older style of Missouri Meerschaum MacArthur pipe (and it doesn't look like a MM) it might be more difficult to build a cake in. Is there the traditional MM yellow sticker on the bottom or their logo branded into the hardwood plug on the bottom? MM pipes are soaked in a plaster of pares solution so that they are almost a hybrid cob/clay pipe. The cobs absorb the clay well and give them a very different character (and ability to resist burning) than an un-treated cob pipe.

If it's another brand, it might be bare cob and that, I would think (never had one, so this is just conjecture) would be hard to get a cake in and I would think it would burn easily?

Just my thoughts,

Natch

Interesting Natch!
I didn't know that some are different!!
Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
petertschantz

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:38 am

I have a couple MM Country Gentleman pipes, which have the plaster of paris, and a new MM Freehand Natural which doesn't. The Country Gents smoke great, but the natural cob is definitely a cooler smoke. I'll be buying more natural cob pipes in the future for sure!
Back to top Go down
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:33 am

velveteagle wrote:
Chuck..

Oh no! The dreaded double dog dare. No one can turn their back on it. You must follow through!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Breaking In The Cob   Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:23 am

Centurian 803 wrote:
velveteagle wrote:
Chuck..

Oh no! The dreaded double dog dare. No one can turn their back on it. You must follow through!

So be it E!!!!
WALNUT ,,,,,,,,,, Here we Come!!! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down

Breaking In The Cob
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next