HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jordies

avatar

Age : 32
Location : On the Move
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:48 am

Oh boy this is gonna be a really busy semester. I'm taking 9hrs, and a TA position for two classes, and an RA position. Not to mention having to work on my thesis. Times are a changin....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:53 am

Feel your Pain bro, We are half way through here!
Our semester ends in Nov.
Crazy times lie ahead!
Do make time for a couple of bowls full though!
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Land of Steady Habits
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:04 am

New faculty business tomorrow for me, then I see students first thing on Monday. It's a mandatory course--got a bad feeling it's going to be a slog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
beaupipe

avatar

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:19 am

I'm going to have the greatest semester of my life coming up, I think. I'll be delivering a 6-week course at a hotel school on the southern Mediterranean coast of Turkey in a city called Antalya. Class only meets on Saturday and Sunday! After that, I'll spend a month or so working my way across southern Europe visiting wineries and conducting research until I make it to Lisbon. Then I'll spend about 10 months chained to my desk, puffing on pipes and cigars while writing a textbook. Hopefully I'll be able to take occasional breaks to visit other major wine producing countries.

And I get paid to do this stuff. Life is good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rugbysh9

avatar

Age : 38
Location : Danbury, CT
Registration date : 2010-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:39 am

I feel for you guys about to start a new semester. I've been doing a part time MBA program for what feels like forever. I have about 3 weeks left and am so beyond ready to be done with school. I know I need to finish the class with a 3.5 or better but all I can think of is what pipe I'm gonna buy myself as an I'm done gift! Thinking a Poul Winslow POY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Somewhere between Kansas and Missouri
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:41 am

Rugbysh9 wrote:
I feel for you guys about to start a new semester. I've been doing a part time MBA program for what feels like forever.

Yep, been there, done that. Was sometimes 40+ hrs/wk. Took me 4 years from 1996 to 2000. I was 45yo when I finished. Don't regret it but sure would not take it on again especially now! More power to you all and get it done while you are YOUNG! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Sanford NC
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:45 am

We just started homeschool for the boys yesterday, so my wife is back in the swing of things and the summer of fun is over for the kids. We're hoping for another great year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Hunter5117

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Somewhere between Kansas and Missouri
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:49 am

TallSmoke, good for you guys. My wife home schooled our 2 youngest boys for their complete high school curriculum. Was a lot of work but worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Sanford NC
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:58 am

Hunter, the rewards are HUGE! We love it. We're talking them all from K through 12. It gets tougher as they get older, but with the way homeschooling is booming in the US there are TONS of resources. Glad to hear you guys had success with it! Great stuff! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
mark
Admin
avatar

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:29 pm

TallSmoke wrote:
We just started homeschool for the boys yesterday, so my wife is back in the swing of things and the summer of fun is over for the kids. We're hoping for another great year!

If homeschooling had been an option when we went I could have saved two hours a day on the bus, eliminated all the bullshit from the "end of career and don't bother me" teachers, bypassed the unimportant required fluff courses, and gotten into a lot less trouble.

_________________
.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Ada, Ok
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:43 pm

I just started as well. I graduated in 08 with a degree in Sociology and now I'm heading back to get a Masters in Psychology. Right now I'm working on my prerequisites to qualify for the program. So this should be a whole mess of fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aaronjoliver.tumblr.com
TallSmoke

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Sanford NC
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:40 pm

mark wrote:

If homeschooling had been an option when we went I could have saved two hours a day on the bus, eliminated all the bullshit from the "end of career and don't bother me" teachers, bypassed the unimportant required fluff courses, and gotten into a lot less trouble.

Items that are certainly on our top 100 "Why We Chose Homeschool" list, Mark. I loathed the bus all the way through 8th grade when I beat up the school bully on it. Then it was no problem. I had some good teachers. And some bad ones. I do like how we control what our kids are taught and can leave off the fluff. But, I tell ya, boys will be boys, and mine find themselves standing in the corner or worse with my wife from time to time. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Hunter5117

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Somewhere between Kansas and Missouri
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Aaron wrote:
I just started as well. I graduated in 08 with a degree in Sociology and now I'm heading back to get a Masters in Psychology. Right now I'm working on my prerequisites to qualify for the program. So this should be a whole mess of fun.

Aaron, you are doing a great job on the Sigmund Freud look, that should get you some points! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Somewhere between Kansas and Missouri
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:39 pm

[quote="TallSmoke"]
mark wrote:

But, I tell ya, boys will be boys, and mine find themselves standing in the corner or worse with my wife from time to time. Laughing

FYI, one of our boys when they were older felt that home schooling was keeping him too much out of the social scene and in turn he over compensated by getting in with the wrong crowd and has suffered some consequences from that. Make sure you keep it balanced, help them with the social aspects of growing up even more so than you might if they were getting social contact at school. Both can lead them in the wrong direction but our son resented being "cut off" during the time spent at home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:46 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
New faculty business tomorrow for me, then I see students first thing on Monday. It's a mandatory course--got a bad feeling it's going to be a slog.

Doc, Lecturing is a slog man!

40 hrs a week office bound, half of that lecturing Students, the rest on doctoral research.......... O' between 1 and 4 am I try to get through some Masters dissertations I am supervising!

Dang but you lot are a bunch of clever Buggers,

Who of you hold a post grad. degree and what????
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Land of Steady Habits
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Piet Binsbergen wrote:
Who of you hold a post grad. degree and what????
I have an MFA in Writing, and also a NY State teaching certificate that is totally useless, since CT has no reciprocity because the state college system are a bunch of racketeers (oops, forgot I work for them now!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Natch

avatar

Age : 66
Location : foothills of the Ozarks
Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:37 pm

We had our meetings with the Dean/Provost/county dog catcher/etc. today. Haven/t gotten a raise or even a cost of living adjustment in three years, and looks like none in sight. The student's will be sitting in their seats, bright eyed and bushy tailed, waiting for my devastatingly interesting and pertinent discussions at 8 AM tomorrow (I wish!).

I've got my usual 4-4 load, with two Gen. Ed. classes, one Cultural Geography class, and my favorite upper elective, Recreation & Tourism. A like them all, and even the Gen. Eds are fun, as that's where we get most of our majors from and for some odd reason I seem to bring in more majors than anyone else. Must me my charm, good looks, and classy aura? Laughing

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Ada, Ok
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:06 pm

Hunter5117 wrote:
Aaron wrote:
I just started as well. I graduated in 08 with a degree in Sociology and now I'm heading back to get a Masters in Psychology. Right now I'm working on my prerequisites to qualify for the program. So this should be a whole mess of fun.

Aaron, you are doing a great job on the Sigmund Freud look, that should get you some points! Very Happy

Holy crap! I do kinda look like Freud in that picture! I wonder what that means?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aaronjoliver.tumblr.com
Falconer

avatar

Age : 66
Location : this side of Wichita
Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:19 pm

I'll be starting my Fall semester in May. I'll turn 60.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:35 am

Falconer wrote:
I'll be starting my Fall semester in May. I'll turn 60.

?????????????
Valky, you read for my doctorate in stead, as payment I'll send you Pietenpauw pipes!!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:38 am

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Piet Binsbergen wrote:
Who of you hold a post grad. degree and what????
I have an MFA in Writing, and also a NY State teaching certificate that is totally useless, since CT has no reciprocity because the state college system are a bunch of racketeers (oops, forgot I work for them now!)

BA(Fine Art), hons, cum laude, MA(painting, Art History) UP, RSA
Talk about racketeer, you should see this place. According to my boss I am under qualified to lecture to students!!!!!
Back to top Go down
beaupipe

avatar

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:24 am

BA, MA...and I am what is (without much affection) known as an ABD (All But Dissertation). Doctoral course work, comps, orals, etc. completed, but I took the job I now have while working on my dissertation. I have way more fun traveling the world training people to become sommeliers than I did when I was teaching Engineering students the joys of Emerson, Pound, Pynchon and...well, Coetzee (shameless SA reference).

I make less, work harder, spend more time in the classroom, but I am having sooooo much fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nitschke066

avatar

Age : 38
Location : Fort Wayne, IN
Registration date : 2010-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:12 am

Jordies wrote:
Oh boy this is gonna be a really busy semester. I'm taking 9hrs, and a TA position for two classes, and an RA position. Not to mention having to work on my thesis. Times are a changin....
Look on the bright side...better you than me, Brother! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??   Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Nitschke066 wrote:
Jordies wrote:
Oh boy this is gonna be a really busy semester. I'm taking 9hrs, and a TA position for two classes, and an RA position. Not to mention having to work on my thesis. Times are a changin....
Look on the bright side...better you than me, Brother! lol!

You said it bro........ academics SUX!!!! drool lol!
Back to top Go down
Lupulus

avatar

Age : 35
Location : New Hampshire
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Starting this week   Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:54 am

Full time, three classes for my masters of library science. Only one class actually meets weekly, the other two are hybrids that meet once per month with the rest online. With the way I procrastinate, I really have to stay on top of the weekly readings and online postings. Luckily (I think) my wife is constantly on my case about finishing homework or everything would get done only at the last minute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Monthly LTD payments starting in January 2017
» Leonor Cipriano: Doctor excludes fall
» Starting The Royal New Brunswick Regiment Museum
» Brad Pitt
» Starting The Royal New Brunswick Regiment Museum

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: