HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How does your better half react to different roomnotes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
IronKnight

Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Mine let's me smoke in the house as the smoke doesn't seem to linger. I live in a fairly small farm house, in the middle of rural Texas. I have a large 4 car shop that im working on turning into a smoke / music room. The only blend that she doesn't like is early morning pipe. Smoking navy flake now as she's fixing lunch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Ruling out some of the really deadly blends and dense clouds of tobacco smoke in a smaller room, I find it incomprehensible that anyone would dislike the scent of tobacco smoke. Even as a toddler, I would beg my uncles to light up their pipes, cigars, and cigarettes so I could smell it. I refuse to move outdoors; I don't like smoking there. If it comes to a choice between a woman and my pipe, I'll take the pipe--and have done so once or twice without looking back. I get tired of a woman after I've had her a few times, anyhow. Yes, I'm a bastard; for those who aren't, C & D's Chocolate Mocha seems to be liked by many. It takes some getting used to but becomes rather tasty after a while. Kind of a confection for the pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Mine generally hates aros but doesn't mind english/balkas or the offering from G&H or SG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:05 am

My wife hates anything with Latakia which is mostly what I smoke. She will pass by and make a comment on how bad it smells or something like that but I am too cought up in my smoke to really pay her any attention, she goes about her way and I continue to have a great smoke.
Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
PipeCulture

Registration date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
My woman likes Lat, Burley, and Lakeland blends, VAs it depends, and she doesn't like aros (since they don't smell lke tobacco.)

Say what?!?! Really?!?! I'd be surprised if that's not a first Laughing Now, if she lets you smoke in the house I'm even more impressed!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeCulture

Registration date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:14 pm

williamcharles wrote:
Mine generally hates aros but doesn't mind english/balkas or the offering from G&H or SG.

The second one like this I've ever come across. So, she doesn't like cavs either?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skullnbones

Registration date : 2011-09-28

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:36 am

My girl tends to dislike aros, which I tend to smoke around her. I figured she'd like them better than a Lat blend or VA. I didn't find out until last night that they don't smell like real tobacco to her. I was smoking some Blue Mountain the other night and she made a comment on how good it smelled. Then last night I had a bowl of Grey Havens and she couldn't stop raving about how good it smelled. I guess she's a Lat and VAper kinda girl... I may have a keeper here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:09 pm

No problems with mine smelling anything she dislikes, she cant even smell the dog fart that chases me out of the room.
Oh! and get this, she tells me to "breath through your mouth" when he farts.
Yeah! Like I wanna taste it too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
smokey422

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 am

My wife just stuck her head in the room and said the Boswell's No Bite Delite I was smoking smelled good.

Smokey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Churchwarden

Registration date : 2011-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:28 am

My wife loves the aroma of aromatic tobaccos; smoked or unsmoked. However, I've always smoked outside. Going to try to create a smoking den in the basement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
christeaux

Registration date : 2011-12-09

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:09 pm

Well I thought my wife would hate my two blends a 2020 from a local tobacconists and my dunhill night cap but she actually likes the smell of the non aromatics
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:21 pm

christeaux wrote:
Well I thought my wife would hate my two blends a 2020 from a local tobacconists and my dunhill night cap but she actually likes the smell of the non aromatics

SHE'S A KEEPER Razz Better be NICE to that lady Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Herrmen

Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Lucky me   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Luckily my GF hasn't made a complaint yet and she encourages my hobby. I don't smoke inside much as most of the time don't want my apt smelling like smoke for days after. Call me weird.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 am

Wife came home tonight while I was enjoying a bowl of burly on the porch and said it smelled great. She's partial to aeros so I was surprised. Especially something considering it was a 3 year old tin of SWR I've been reluctant to try.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badfinger

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:18 pm

She usually comes over to me, walks up to the pipe collection, grabs one and a jar of "Jenny's 'Baccy" and joins in.

Yep, shes a keeper.

Last edited by badfinger on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Speeelingz)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dailytobacconist.com
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:03 pm

My fiance is a non-smoker, but her father smokes pipes and cigars, so she is used to it. Whenever I light up she'll say something like, "Are you smoking that Peter Stokkebye English Luxury again?" I just smile and say, "Yes dear, how ever did you know?" To which she will respond, "I just know."

And she DOES. Sometimes better than I do. Very Happy She never tells me that my pipes smell bad, but if it is not her fancy she does say, "That one smells a bit strong, dear."

I knew I was going to marry her when I was sitting on the back porch watching the rain, and she brings me a properly loaded pipe and a hot cup of coffee. What a gal!

Last edited by Ocelot55 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Schmitzbitz

Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:45 pm

My better-half doesn't complain so much about the room-note (unless I'm smoking a Latakia bomb ala 10 Russians), but rather about the latent smell of smoke clinging to my moustache. The only exception to this rule seems to be when I'm smoking an aromatic, she doesn't mind the lingering wiff of caramel, fruit, or vanilla so much.

In addition, she gets a little grumpy if I smoke in her car; but she puts up with it, as it's better than the other option (coffin nails, which of course stink up a vehicle like nothing else).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesepfeife

Registration date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:25 pm

When I started breaking in my first pipes I usually only smoked outside of the hotel when I was away for work. But when I was at home I would go down to the woodshed, which is attached to the basement of our house. My daughter and wife could still smell it upstairs in our sitting room. At the time I was smoking Savinelli Cavendish and they were so receptive of the room note that I was told it was OK to smoke in the house. When I started trying some of my SG and GLP blends I was still getting pretty good reviews along with comparison to previous samples so I decided to start a spreadsheet to record the responses as well as keep track of various other information such as tips and observations. I have ranked them in order of preferred room note in my list but now that I am beginning to gain experience I'm thinking about doing another list or adding a way to rank how I like the various blends. So far the only negative review has been that the GLP Piccadilly is somewhat "acrid" as compared to the others. Maybe the Latakia in the blend?

I do smoke in my company van, always with the window cracked open and the fan at least on low. On long trips it helps keep me awake. I haven't yet noticed any objectionable odor lingering in the vehicle. When we bought our car from a dealer I didn't notice the stale cigarette odor until the day or so after we got it. I was able to eventually get that odor out but haven't yet smoked a pipe in my own car. If I did I'm not sure how well that would be received by my wife.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joeluka

Registration date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Divorce and the left of my wine and rare whisk(e)y collection. Lets not talk about all my childhood toys and comics...... Oh well, got the tools and tobacco(cigars, pipes & tins)

Life, gotta try it all affraid

Joe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:11 pm

All my smoking is done outside or in the garage with the door to the outside ajar. Thankfully I live in an area where the climate is pretty good all year round. My wife doesn't smoke. She doesn't mind some of the milder blends but if I am going to smoke Billy Budd or Penzance I can almost guarantee that I'll hear something like "you NEED a shower!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Tambolaka and Black/Brown Irish X are not popular choices in my household. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichiganScott

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: hmmm   Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:09 am

Not well.
But I like it, so....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hater

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Is the TOB Black Russian in the OP tinderbox black russian? Just making sure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesepfeife

Registration date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:15 pm

I was trying out my first bowl of PS LTF last night and my wife says, "Boy that smells nummy. It makes me want to eat it." Guess that one gets added near the top of the room note ranking list Very Happy . I liked it well too but maybe not as well as LBF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: How does your better half react to different roomnotes?   Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
My fiance is a non-smoker, but her father smokes pipes and cigars, so she is used to it. Whenever I light up she'll say something like, "Are you smoking that Peter Stokkebye English Luxury again?" I just smile and say, "Yes dear, how ever did you know?" To which she will respond, "I just know."

And she DOES. Sometimes better than I do. Very Happy She never tells me that my pipes smell bad, but if it is not her fancy she does say, "That one smells a bit strong, dear."

I knew I was going to marry her when I was sitting on the back porch watching the rain, and she brings me a properly loaded pipe and a hot cup of coffee. What a gal!

WOW! A keeper for sure! I need to teach my lady how to load a pipe... I'll start with ribbon and shag cuts then move on to flakes. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How does your better half react to different roomnotes?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next