HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing   Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:18 pm

http://www.wimp.com/throatsinging/

For the rest of you it will probably remind you of the morning after a big night on the town
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing   Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:16 pm

I've always found throat singing to be a really interesting (and certainly unique!) style of vocal music. I wonder how long it takes to be able to sing like that...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing   Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:36 pm

a little bit of that goes a looooong way, for me Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing   Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:48 pm

affraid
Back to top Go down
St Fiacre

Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing   Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:39 pm

This skill has always amazed me I cannot imagine being able to do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing   Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:27 pm

Ok, pardon the ignorance and my befuddled ears but, did I hear something that sounded fluetlike in the background? Was that him or did someone overlay a flute onto that recording?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing   Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:47 pm

I noticed that too. I think it might've been him, but I'm not sure... any throat singing experts on BoB lol?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing   Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:04 pm

No, its the real deal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lupulus

Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Throat singing   Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:45 am

That flute sound is a result of the harmonics when performing. About 10 years ago I had a friend who was a professional singer and he became obsessed with throat singing after discovering it, even learning from a Tibetan group in Seattle. One of the most impressive aspects of Tuva is the ability to layer multiple sounds in your throat, making it seem like several people are singing when it is really just you. The resultant layers of deep sound build on each other and the sound waves interact (at least I think that is how it works) to produce the high pitched flute type sound when it is really just you making the controlled growling/singing. It is an incredible skill that takes years to perfect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing   Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:06 am

Lupulus wrote:
One of the most impressive aspects of Tuva is the ability to layer multiple sounds in your throat, making it seem like several people are singing when it is really just you. The resultant layers of deep sound build on each other and the sound waves interact (at least I think that is how it works) to produce the high pitched flute type sound when it is really just you making the controlled growling/singing. It is an incredible skill that takes years to perfect.

It's true and very cool. I learned that fact after messing around with my voice in the shower one day and got it to hold two pitches at the same time...though it sounded god awful. I decided to look it up and make sure I wasn't crazy. It's somewhat awesome but probably not something I'll try again. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing   Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:49 am

WOW! That pretty much rocks. I can make some pretty cool sounds with my throat, can whistle in some pretty amazing ways, always get asked to beat box for friends, etc. I can even talk in a way that sounds like two different people are talking. I need to try this out after this bit of congestion clears up. It seems you need to be able to vibrate the throat while consistently exhaling to make a separate sound?

That's an amazing skill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com

For those of you interested in Tuvan throat singing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1