HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Have you seen this house?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Have you seen this house?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:06 pm

My apology for re-naming this thread, but I think I put a poor title on it the first time and very few BoB's looked at it. I know there has to me more examples of this type of rock/brick structures out there. I would greatly appreciate it if any of you know of any rock with brick trim structures in your area or travels. I'll let the thread drop down if no response this time. Natch

I'm working on an architecture project and I'm asking all my pipster friends out there to let me know if they've seen this type of structure. This is a rather ornate example, the key to identifying this type of cladding technique is it's mostly rock with just a little brick trim around the windows, doorways, corners, etc.

I'm not looking for all rock or all brick houses, but examples where they're combined. I could actually write pages on this style of mixed masonry, but in brief they usually use local stone, often some sedimentary rock that breaks into 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inch thick slabs, the brick is primarily for cutting a clean corner rather than trying to cut the stone, it's usually just a cladding over a wood balloon frame structure, and I've seen it used on homes, churches, store fronts, and school gyms. Notice the bricks are usually laid up in sets of three left and three right, producing that in and out pattern of Georgian quoins.

Several masons in Arkansas built these in the Ozarks during the depression, but what I'm looking for are similar examples from around the world from different times. I've found block houses on Hadrian's Wall built by the Romans using this technique, Danish sugar mills from the 1600s in the Caribbean, and several government buildings from throughout the former British Empire in the 1800s, notably railroad stations and schools in Australia. (SA brothers, any of these down there?).

If you know of any, please contact me. I'm trying to make the connection between early English Geogrian architecture, and the diffusion of this style by British immigrants around the world.

I thank you for your time, you may return to your puffing now...

Natch

Last edited by Natch on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Have you seen this house?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:10 pm

sorry natch, no help from me. but i'm a sucker for good masonry, and that is such a cool use of stone. never seen anything like it. i'll be checking this post to see if others submit pics.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Have you seen this house?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:01 pm

I have not seen any myself but looks like it would be a natural for east/central Kansas where they made everything out of limestone including fence posts!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Have you seen this house?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:12 pm

jip Natch,
British colonial Architecture is very prevalent here.
Not cladded at all but constructed with corrugated iron roofing and ornate decoration. They served as British monuments to Georgian and British colonial status at the time. It is Known that this style of architecture borrows back to classical antiquity carrying with it the grandeur of Ancient Greek architecture.

Back to top Go down
Natch

PostSubject: Re: Have you seen this house?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Hunter5117 wrote:
I have not seen any myself but looks like it would be a natural for east/central Kansas where they made everything out of limestone including fence posts!

These types of structures are almost always found within 10 to 50 miles or less of the rock source. My research shows that, at least in the past century, once you have to transport the heavy but low value rock too far, it was cheaper to buy and build all brick structures. I've mapped over four hundred of these structures in the Ozarks and Ouachitas of Arkansas, and once you leave the rock source into the flat Delta, they all but vanish.

Thanks for looking, guys.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobT

Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Have you seen this house?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm not sure about the cladding. In South Africa, timber frame houses constitute less than 2% of total buildings, so if the architecture fits, there will be solid masonry and brick - no cladding.
I seem to recall seeing a few blockhouses near to where I live. These were built by the British during the anglo boer war to protect railway bridges from guerilla attacks from the Boers (who invented guerilla warefare during this war I'll have you know). The British also invented concentration camps to contain the local women and children as a form of 'pacification' of the local populace - you thought it was the Nazi's that invented concentration camps? - Wrong.
A number of these structures are still standing so I'll take some pics for you - I'm due around that area next week on some sales calls.
Generally English/Colonial architechture in the Cape is more formal than the pic you posted - the brick work I recognise, but the Diagonal cladding is pretty foreign here. Most stone buildings have horisontal/ vertical structure.
I do happen to know a few 'speculative' masons, so will enquire as to whether they know anything too.
Good Luck from South Africa
R
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pwclosures.co.za
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Have you seen this house?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Natch, rock houses from the late 19th and early 20th century are common here in NC, even earlier but not combined with brick. I can take photos of the rock architcture here if you'd like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Natch

PostSubject: Re: Have you seen this house?   Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:55 am

One bump for name change.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Have you seen this house?   Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Well. I will keep it in mine. I know I have seen structures like that. Similar to, I should say. If I can recall exactly where, I will be sure to let you know.

There is a lot of stone construction along the Illinois, Ohio, and Mississippi Rivers. I may have seen some of those from the rivers as I used to fish bass tournaments.

Is there any particular type of bricks used? A yellow glazed? Or can red clay and other unglazed bricks be used?

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Have you seen this house?   Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:06 pm

I have not seen that house, Natch. But I'd really like to live in the one you posted a picture of.

I love that style of architecture. It looks like the kind of place where one could easily plant a small flower garden, and in the mornings, read the paper over a strong pipe and cup of tea.

Also, totally random, but while thinking of houses I would love to live in...

My dream home has to have one of these:
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/02/bookshelf_stairs_are_freaking.php

And a few of these:
http://www.anzappl.org/branches/NZ/images/NZpic.jpg
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Have you seen this house?   Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Oh! Railroads. I need to look at a couple old railroad buildings in the county.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cigar2you

Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Have you seen this house?   Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:34 pm

serveral that i can think of.. I will try and get some pics for you in the next day or so
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Have you seen this house?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1