HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Broken Mic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Broken Mic   Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:22 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mic   Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:02 am

Damn!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mic   Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:24 pm

His post cancer comedy was hilarious,,,he found humor under the worst of circumstances, and although you knew he went through hell beating it, he made the experience into over an hour of side splitting standup. Talented man.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Broken Mic   Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:24 pm

I actually knew the guy. I worked with his father in the mid/late 80's, and he used to encourage his friends to attend Robert's appearances on open mic nights. (His real job was selling car stereos.) Within a year or so he'd landed an HBO special and the rest was history. A star was born.

Once he was on the circuit I used to ask Otto to in turn ask Robert for recommendations of who the funniest comics were, like when I'd plan a date, or had friends coming in from out of town. (Comedy clubs were the hot ticket back then) One thing led to another---Robert couldn't resist a comedy fan, apparently---and one afternoon when visiting his dad at work he tracked me down so we could meet face to face. From then on we had each other's number, and talked now and again for several years.

What I remember most was he wasn't the stereotypical ego-driven fame hound at ALL. Just a regular guy who discovered by accident he could make people laugh, and ran with it.

After all the Hell on Earth stuff he went through health wise, this car accident thing is just messed up. Besides him checking out, and a fatherless daughter, she will doubtless feel guilt for the rest of her life.

Most days the world makes no sense to me. This sort of shit is why.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Broken Mic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1