HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Firefly/Serenity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:31 pm

This weekend while spending some quality down time I was catching up on some movies that I've wanted to see but hadn't take the time. Got to love Netflix on demand. Anyway, after a few, netflix suggest the movie Serenity. I had never heard of it but it had a high suggestion rating so I watched it. LOVED IT! Then I discovered it was from a TV series called Firefly. I watched 13 of the 14 total episodes after that. I'm thinking I'll watch the final one tonight.

I can't believe I had never heard of this series or movie before. It's not high budget by any means but the story line and characters are awesome. If you like science fiction at all, this one is sure to please. Give it a very high recommendation.

Any other fans?

PS- There was a pipe siting in an episode or two. Quick but I noticed. Laughing

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Oh, yes please!

Also, for those who are reading this thread who have not watched either Serenity or Firefly, watch the show first. Then the movie. Just a really important, spoiler-avoidant suggestion. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:40 pm

That's a good suggestion. I'm actually going to go back and watch the movie again after I finish the series up.

Kind of figured you'd like it Irene.

"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Indeed. For many reasons at many levels, Firefly is as close to a perfect TV series as has ever been made. (Sez me)

If you haven't seen it, definitely give it a try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fmw

Registration date : 2010-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:59 pm

Yes, they were very impressive. I also liked Battlestar Galactica.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Janitor

Registration date : 2009-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Firefly truly is TV perfection. Joss Whedon is a genius. But Firely and his later show, Dollhouse, are works of art that take you into a world that is absolutely magical, while addressing so many points of the darker side of humanity.

The Janitor

P.S. My preferred tobacco blend is a modification of a bulk blend, and I named it Serenity :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:07 pm

LL wrote:
Indeed. For many reasons at many levels, Firefly is as close to a perfect TV series as has ever been made. (Sez me)

If you haven't seen it, definitely give it a try.
Hear, hear! I only wish it had a longer run... not an agonizing, jump-the-shark run, but a season more would've added a lot. Nobody's fault but the Fox suits, alas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. I was feeling a little strange being so impressed with a TV series. Doesn't usually happen to me.

Back to top Go down
LL

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:16 pm

jhuggett wrote:
I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. I was feeling a little strange being so impressed with a TV series. Doesn't usually happen to me.

That's what the entire Web World has said for seven years, now, but the asshats at FOX have steadfastly refused to lift a finger in any way.

Hell, it was cancelled because of their own stupidity. They showed the episodes out of sequence (didn't even start with #1), moved the night of the week around, delayed several episodes for Specials of one sort or another, etc. By the time that word-of-mouth had spread, the decision had already been made to kill it.

Absolutely 100% not kidding: If I won a few hundred million in the Powerball, I'd personally bankroll putting it back into production.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anders And

Registration date : 2010-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Sounds really interesting, havenít heard of the series before. Maybe I should give it a try.
Thanks for sharing! alien
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Dollhouse is on Netflix too!!!

Thanks for the heads up on that Janitor. Hadn't heard of it either. Hope my local bars don't close up because I'm sitting at home watching TV.

Back to top Go down
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Damn good sci fi show. I was forcing my wife to watch the episodes on netflix and even she likes it. May not even have to tie her down to watch the movie (I might anyway though, just for fun).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:32 pm

jhuggett wrote:

Anything directed by Joss Whedon is excellent. Firefly, Buffy, Dollhouse, Angel...all of it. If you haven't seen it, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog is a fun adventure as well, and actually not as gay as the title otherwise unintentionally implies. =) Promise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
Tock the Always

Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Anyone else think Joss Whedon is a fan of Cowboy Bebop? Couldn't help but see some similarities when I went through Firefly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:11 pm

Tock the Always wrote:
Anyone else think Joss Whedon is a fan of Cowboy Bebop? Couldn't help but see some similarities when I went through Firefly.
Trigun has some pretty glaring similarities, too.

An American space opera stealing from a Japanese take on the Western? Who does he think he is--George Lucas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Tock the Always

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:13 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Tock the Always wrote:
Trigun Who does he think he is--George Lucas?

Lucas's success was mostly lucky timing, imo. Space Opera had been around for 50 years before he even thought of it, but the movie tech to give an appealing look just wasn't there. The first guy to translate it to film successfully was gonna win, no matter who it was.

Since then, he's shown himself to be pretty much a hack. His movies have gotten steadily worse while the CGI bang-for-the-buck has increased by two orders of magnitude. That's hard to do.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Anyone else see a similarity between Christina Hendricks' character "Saffron" and Irene Adler? I know Malcolm wasn't in love with her but I could see similarities in her being.

Back to top Go down
LL

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:38 pm

jhuggett wrote:
Anyone else see a similarity between Christina Hendricks' character "Saffron" and Irene Adler? I know Malcolm wasn't in love with her but I could see similarities in her being.

You're scaring the board, J. Stop that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:40 pm

Told you it kind of freaked me out how much I got into it. I'm feeling like a trekkie... Oh snap, do they have firefly conventions??? Laughing

Back to top Go down
Lupulus

Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Definitely one of my favorite series, great characters that you really get attached to by the end of the series. Unfortunately, I was left with a big empty feeling when the series ended that Serenity almost completely filled. As others have said, though, the show would be much better served by several more seasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:44 pm

jhuggett wrote:
Told you it kind of freaked me out how much I got into it. I'm feeling like a trekkie... Oh snap, do they have firefly conventions??? Laughing

5600 hits would indicate yes.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=%22firefly+convention%22&aq=f&aqi=g6&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=Cvsc-waOGTMb6KI_KMrXI4KEGAAAAqgQFT9D_nqA&pbx=1&fp=4056433c47d89bef
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:06 pm

Like many shows, my son was after me the whole time it was on TV to watch it, but I waited until the movie had come and gone then bought all the DVD's. Now it is one of my regular fall-backs, when I can't decide to watch anything else, I pull out one of the Firefly episodes. I really think it is a perfect mashup of Bladerunner, ST TNG, Battlestar (have yet to watch the 2nd series, used to love the 1st), plus likely many I am missing. I am still a big Buffy fan and do think Joss Whedon is quite a producer when it comes to this genre.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tock the Always

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Oh, and as for Dollhouse, I really liked the concept. Full of potential there. But then Eliza Dushku just had to be the lead... Can't stand her. She hams it up. And I'm sorry, but as hard as they try, I just don't find her attractive. Topher saves that show for me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Janitor

Registration date : 2009-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Firefly/Serenity   Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:27 am

Irene Adler wrote:
jhuggett wrote:

Anything directed by Joss Whedon is excellent. Firefly, Buffy, Dollhouse, Angel...all of it. If you haven't seen it, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog is a fun adventure as well, and actually not as gay as the title otherwise unintentionally implies. =) Promise.

I'm in complete agreement with you. Although it has been years since I watched Buffy or Angel, I found both show to be very enjoyable. The only problem with them, especially the early seasons, is that they aren't dark enough for me anymore. That being said, the season 5 finale is on of two TV moments that made me cry. And Dr. Horrible was hilarious!

Tock the Always wrote:
Oh, and as for Dollhouse, I really liked the concept. Full of potential there. But then Eliza Dushku just had to be the lead... Can't stand her. She hams it up. And I'm sorry, but as hard as they try, I just don't find her attractive. Topher saves that show for me. Very Happy

I have to disagree with you there. Dushku wasn't overly impressed me otherwise, but in Dollhouse she makes Echo come alive. Her performance in Epitaph Two brought me to tears.

The Janitor
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Firefly/Serenity
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1