HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 So you think you can carve?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father
avatar

Age : 45
Location : Olympia, WA
Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: So you think you can carve?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:43 pm

We have some very talented members here when it comes to shaping a block of wood into a pipe but I have never seen anything like this before. Can't imagine how much work must go into something like these...

http://oddmods.com/2010/09/10/14-incredible-wood-sculptures-randall-rosenthal/

_________________
Jason

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: So you think you can carve?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Looks like the Next Step for the Photorealism crowd (paintings that look like photos).

Very cool.

100% skill, technique, and patience, though, not artistry in the usual sense of the world. Nothing new has been brought into existence, just something that was already there replicated in non-original materials.

Give the guy a block of briar and I bet he could give Trever Talbert a run for his money come Halloween time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

avatar

Age : 48
Location : the heartland
Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: So you think you can carve?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:07 pm

if you can carve your own money, do you really need to carve anything else?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
Moderator
avatar

Location : Mexico City
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: So you think you can carve?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Holy cow! I thought I got the wrong link or something when I opened it. That`s WOODWORKING?? Amazing...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

avatar

Age : 48
Location : the heartland
Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: So you think you can carve?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:32 pm

you know, his momma said money don't grow on trees--but he was a contrary sort.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

avatar

Age : 50
Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: So you think you can carve?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:37 pm

The woodworking is incredible and the painting is just outer worldly - bet you this guy can do a hell of a job just pissing in the snow...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

avatar

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: So you think you can carve?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:52 pm

gandalfpc wrote:
The woodworking is incredible and the painting is just outer worldly - bet you this guy can do a hell of a job just pissing in the snow...

Actually, pissing in the snow with wood is very...um...hard. I know. I'm a horny Canuck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad Davis

avatar

Age : 68
Location : Foley, Alabama, USA
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: So you think you can carve?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:06 pm

LL wrote:


100% skill, technique, and patience, though, not artistry in the usual sense of the world. Nothing new has been brought into existence, just something that was already there replicated in non-original materials.

Well, you can say that about a lot of art. A ton of subjects were already "there" before artists painted or sculpted them in non-original materials. Twisted Evil

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
bruins

avatar

Age : 48
Location : the heartland
Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: So you think you can carve?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:44 pm

beaupipe wrote:

Actually, pissing in the snow with wood is very...um...hard. I know. I'm a horny Canuck.

you a funny guy! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: So you think you can carve?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Rad Davis wrote:
LL wrote:


100% skill, technique, and patience, though, not artistry in the usual sense of the world. Nothing new has been brought into existence, just something that was already there replicated in non-original materials.

Well, you can say that about a lot of art. A ton of subjects were already "there" before artists painted or sculpted them in non-original materials. Twisted Evil

No argument there. I still think that makes such things a matter of skill and technique, though, not artistry.

I think I just have a tighter definition than most concerning what constitutes an artist, is all. (Creation of something that's never been seen/heard/etc before = yes; replication of a pre-existing thing (no matter how skillfully done) = no)




Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: So you think you can carve?   Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:42 am

Have seen these Jason, thanks for sharing, they are fantastic!!!!!
Back to top Go down
 
So you think you can carve?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: