HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:10 pm

So this summer I just lurked here on occasion, seemed to be a busy summer. Thought I would share a bit.
With the kids getting older (7&9) there's more going on, trips to the pool, lake etc...
We went to a cool place called Natural Tunnel (not to be confused with Natural Bridge(also in VA)).
Located out further in southwest Va, camped there a few days, hiking around. Then went out to the Cumberland Gap before the return home. A good relaxing trip.
Had much work on the property to keep up with, my wife is breaking one of our horses so needs occasional help there. Hay to get up, brush-hogging to do, fences to complete and completed ones to mend.
Also, had surgery to repair an Unbilical Hernia, no big deal but had to take some down time for that.
But the icing on the cake was a dream that I had held onto for 21+ years being fulfilled.
I bought a motorcycle.
Back in my teens and early 20's I rode a bike constantly, it was my life, my love.
Then April 21, 1989 I had a horrendous crash (woulda killed 10 ordinary men Wink )
Without going into too many details, I was laid up in the hospital for 6 weeks, tore up my left side pretty bad with multiple broken bones, nerve damage etc...
The 21 years since I've always felt there was a piece of my soul missing, so I tried to fill it with lots of stuff, religion, women, booze. Nothing satisfied, till I finally had the revelation, I was born to ride, this is me, the missing piece of the puzzle.
So I decided to take it slow for now, I bought a 10 year old Suzuki SV650, they can be had for a resonable price, and there are lots of aftermarket gadgets to customize the way you want. So the last half of the summer I've been spending my pipe & baccy allowance on my bike, as well as all spare time.

Here she is!

So what did everyone else do this summer?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Back to top Go down
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Craps that looks familiar... so I went out in the garage and there is Suzuki 650 S scratch ...

My son brought it in the Spring... saying he's going to save gas money going back and forth to work. I was not impressed Crying or Very sad . He hugged me and "Don't worry Dad, I'm only going to drive it slow"

He's spent $$$ fixing it up.

Hmmmm

The other day the registration renewal came and after he opened it up, he says:
"Phew, I thought it was a speeding ticket"
Then he says "When I'm driving, I don't want anyone ahead of me."

What the hell was that hug for a few months ago Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:06 pm

BTW, it seems that your summer was spent as it should be... except for the surgery... You folks really break horses. I thought they came tame nowadays.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:15 pm

I took 3 of the grandkids fishing,,(two 5 yrs old, one 6),,,their first time fishing and my first time dodging hooks as they did a close imitation of casting,,,,they drowned lots of worms and caught plenty of perch and pumpkinseeds,,,even a couple drawn out battles with bullheads,,,they were excited and I was happy to get them outdoors away from the Wii and video games,,,,

Aside from clearing a building lot for one of our kids, putting a steel roof on our house to deal with the deep snows, haggling with the car dealers to put the wife in a new van, jacking up my sisters camp, and finally coming to terms with my unhealthy lifestyle, it's been pretty quiet.

EJ, I grew up riding bikes, from 13 yrs on I had dirt/street bikes,,,,several years ago in a brilliant flash of common sense I sold both my Harleys,,my life got complicated and I was confused,,,I've been sorry ever since,,,now the old bolt Harleys are out of reach and the new ones don't have the same basic mechanical appeal,,,,I understand filling the gap with two wheels,,,,glad you resolved your hollow spot but I wouldn't call an SV650 "taking it slow" ,,,enjoy

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks for the pic of the bike. I'm 54 and just bought bike #14 Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:42 pm

No motorcyles for me. The Wife laid down the law when I took a spill on my Brother in laws bike ten+ years ago!!!!

Did the usual stuff. Vacations in Newport / Misquamicut, RI & Cape Cod,MA.
Did some smoking, sampling & trading with Rugbysh9 at his place. Worked most of the Summer (as always). Heading back to Cape Cod for a four day Indian Summer "mini vacay" on Thursday. Taking the kids out of school for two days won't hurt them a bit I told the Wife.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:57 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
You folks really break horses. I thought they came tame nowadays.

Somebody's got to do it.
It ain't like you see on the westerns, no bucking around, nowadays many such as my wife take a kinder gentler approach to breaking a horse. She uses alot of info from these guys:
http://www.parellinaturalhorsetraining.com/
Two of ours are branded with this organization:
http://www.isroldenburg.org/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:07 pm

mark wrote:
I grew up riding bikes, from 13 yrs on I had dirt/street bikes,,,,several years ago in a brilliant flash of common sense I sold both my Harleys,,my life got complicated and I was confused,,,I've been sorry ever since,,,now the old bolt Harleys are out of reach and the new ones don't have the same basic mechanical appeal,,,,I understand filling the gap with two wheels,,,,glad you resolved your hollow spot but I wouldn't call an SV650 "taking it slow" Wink ,,,enjoy

My first choice was the Harley XR1200 but was a bit pricey (for now). It's just been out a couple years, so maybe I can find a good used one in a few years.
I started riding dirt as well probably about 11 or 12 yrs old, had an old 70 something Yamaha enduro 125 two stroker.
Back to top Go down
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Vactioned in Jamaica this summer.....got alot of landscapeing work done..or almost done.
Smoked alot too..My work schedule got cut back to five days a week..I have to say I
enjoyed this summer with some extra time to take it all in.

Joe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:14 pm

That's not a midlife crisis. A Porsche and a 20 year old mistress is a midlife crisis. A motor bike is you being a kid again, enjoy.

What I did this summer? Aside from working every chance I got (got to, no time to take a break, long winter's coming and the construction business is frighteningly slow) I spent my free time reading children's stories, playing with dolls and making sure the water wings stayed blowed up (as the little one says) at the big pool Cool . [see my new avatar pic? Nuff said ]

Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:22 pm

EJ,

I am just glad to see you check in and I am glad you've had a great summer! Enjoy that motorcycle!

Nothing out of the ordinary for me. My work has been crazy! Only major trip other than work was a week camping at Topsail Island and it was a great time.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Justpipes wrote:
EJ,

Only major trip other than work was a week camping at Topsail Island and it was a great time.

For a quieter, far more back-to-nature-y week, take the ferry to Portsmith Island next time. You'll never bother with the crowded stuff again. Better fishing, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Island,_North_Carolina
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:37 am

Sweet EJ, noting wrong with putting something exciting between your legs bro!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???   Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:53 am

Piet Binsbergen wrote:
Sweet EJ, noting wrong with putting something exciting between your legs bro!!!
lol!
Back to top Go down

What I did on my summer vacation. Midlife crisis???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1