HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

tongue bite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pheonix11525

Registration date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: tongue bite   Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Just wondering if anyone would like to oblige me any tips on prevention of tongue bite or remedies. I also have a video on my youtube channel of me talking about tongue bite from my own slight experience. The channel is the same name as the member name I have here on B.O.B. Looking forward to comments on here or on the video.

P.S. I also am new to this site as of today but have been a frequent youtuber for a while. I did post on the welcome listserve so you can feel free to check that out too.

This sight is Awesome!

Thanks!

-pheonix11525
Back to top Go down
View user profile
St Fiacre

Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:49 pm

I can of course offer the standard solution to tongue bite, do not buy cheap cherry flavored tobacco, and smoke slowly. As far as remedies however I would strongly recommend some mouthwash, burns at first then it will not bother anymore. I am sure however that more learned gentlemen than myself will be able to add futher edification. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Gentle packing, slower puffs, dryer tobacco.

+1 to mouthwash, especially Biotene.

Your favorite water-based beverage on hand will help.

Your favorite alcohol-based beverage may actually aggravate it, but you won't mind so much. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:36 pm

I echo the previous posts on how to avoid it. My favorite cure is a Dirty Mother.
4 oz milk
1 oz scotch
1 tsp vanilla flavoring.
For serious cases omit the first and third ingredients and triple the second ingredient. cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:41 pm

diet pepsi does it for me

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:13 pm

I've been smoking a pipe since I was 16. I had tongue bite off and on until I finally got away from tobacco's that had any kind of casing. Now days it's just about strickly Vapers for me with an occasional latikia. Flavored baccy's and aromatics are no longer in my cellar. That's just me of course. Many others have found aro's that suit them purdy well. Anyone on the BoB ever had tongue bite from Escudo? If you did, you can send me the rest. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:32 pm

One of the biggest misconceptions in all of smoking: New smokers should start with light blends.

Wrong. The delicate stuff requires perfect technique and a developed palette to appreciate. Beginners just suck on it harder and harder, looking for the flavor they were expecting but can't find, and all they get is a sore tongue for their trouble.

To avoid bite, smoke something massively rich and flavorful that needs only an occasional puff. Sip it slowly, like straight whiskey or espresso.

Slowing down and shallower draws/puffs is the fix for 90% of tongue bite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:37 pm

Centurian 803 wrote:
I echo the previous posts on how to avoid it. My favorite cure is a Dirty Mother.
4 oz milk
1 oz scotch
1 tsp vanilla flavoring.

That sounds singularly disgusting.

(Hold on... this board loves jokes. You were trying to sucker someone into actually trying that, right? Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:04 pm

LL wrote:
Centurian 803 wrote:
4 oz milk
1 oz scotch
1 tsp vanilla flavoring.

(Hold on... this board loves jokes. You were trying to sucker someone into actually trying that, right? Twisted Evil )

I've spent more time than I should have in sleazy bars in Belize sucking down gin and milk mixed half and half. The old bums were convinced the milk would protect their stomachs from being eaten away from the rot-gut they called "gin".

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:12 pm

LL wrote:
Centurian 803 wrote:
4 oz milk
1 oz scotch
1 tsp vanilla flavoring.

(Tongue firmly planted in cheek) Why, I'd never do something like that! (innocent expression firmly planted on face) Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:15 pm

It doesn't??? tongue I don'tget tonguebite any longer I give it!!! Ken Very Happy tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LV9

Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:04 am

a glass of red wine seems to cure it for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:13 pm

All of the above, and realize that after 6 months to a year your tounge will get used to it and you'll not be bothered with it any longer. At least thats the way it was for me.
Back to top Go down
Johnny

Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:46 pm

For me, I try to avoid any alcohol while smoking. Coffee, tea or water with a splash of lemon juice work well while smoking. As others have mentioned, if you get bit, rinse with Biotene mouthwash! It helps a lot. I've also heard that Sensodyne mouthwash also helps. I hope this helps and good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:31 pm

mark wrote:

Pepsi Max does the trick.
I always have it close by even though I very rarely experience tongue bite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Blues

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:38 pm

Falconer wrote:
I've been smoking a pipe since I was 16. I had tongue bite off and on until I finally got away from tobacco's that had any kind of casing. Now days it's just about strickly Vapers for me with an occasional latikia. Flavored baccy's and aromatics are no longer in my cellar. That's just me of course. Many others have found aro's that suit them purdy well. Anyone on the BoB ever had tongue bite from Escudo? If you did, you can send me the rest. Very Happy

Valky, I got my first tin of Escudo last week, and as with all new blends I experiment with ways to smoke them to make them taste better, burn better, etc.. Last night I tried to make a bow of Escudo bite, but no luck. I might also add that this will NOT be my last tin of the sweet little medallions!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:57 pm

Though they are remarkably unpopular in the US, I use 9mm charcoal filters. They allow me to smoke any blend i choose without any worry of bite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pheonix11525

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:20 pm

DoverPipes wrote:
mark wrote:

See guys heres the thing about pop or soda, its carbonated and I've heard thats a horrible idea. I heard it makes it worse because the carbonation strips certain things off of your tongue that apparently protect it. I could be wrong here though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pheonix11525

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:21 pm

beaupipe wrote:
Though they are remarkably unpopular in the US, I use 9mm charcoal filters. They allow me to smoke any blend i choose without any worry of bite.

Strange I've never heard of them. Non the less I hate filters though :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny

Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Pheonix11525 wrote:
DoverPipes wrote:
mark wrote:

See guys heres the thing about pop or soda, its carbonated and I've heard thats a horrible idea. I heard it makes it worse because the carbonation strips certain things off of your tongue that apparently protect it. I could be wrong here though.

I think it has something to do with the acidity with the colas. I've heard things about drinking a mildly acidic beverage while smoking a highly acidic blend and it acts as a neutralizer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pheonix11525

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:38 pm

Johnny wrote:
Pheonix11525 wrote:
DoverPipes wrote:
mark wrote:

I think it has something to do with the acidity with the colas. I've heard things about drinking a mildly acidic beverage while smoking a highly acidic blend and it acts as a neutralizer.

True but I have only heard about that for when you are not smoking to neutralize the tongue bite. I hear it holds true to juices such as orange juice which I tried but only helped for a little bit. Did ok job but not outstanding..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cody V

Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:46 pm

Is it strange that I kinda enjoy the sensation of tongue bite? Embarassed tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beebiz

Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Cody V wrote:
Is it strange that I kinda enjoy the sensation of tongue bite? Embarassed tongue
Cody... your secret is now out... you're a masochist!!!

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pheonix11525

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Cody V wrote:

I think you know the answer but ill humor you. Yes it is strange.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: tongue bite   Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:32 pm

Johnny wrote:

My understanding is that the smoke we draw through our pipes is alkaline and that's why acidic beverages can help neutralize the corrosive effect of the smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

tongue bite
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: