HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Classical Archery?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 am

Anyone here hunt with longbows or recurves?
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 4:02 am

It´s been a while. I was into both recurve and compounds. Mostly target shooting though. I´ve been wanting to start up again. I miss it quite a bit...
Back to top Go down
The Janitor

The Janitor

Registration date : 2009-03-25

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 1:30 pm

I hunt with a recurve. For some reason, I could never hit anything with my old compound, but I'm a pretty good shot with my recurve. Plus, it adds a certain sense of self respect to hunt without all the fancy contraptions they sell for compound bows nowadays.

The Janitor
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 2:43 am

The Janitor wrote:
I hunt with a recurve. For some reason, I could never hit anything with my old compound, but I'm a pretty good shot with my recurve. Plus, it adds a certain sense of self respect to hunt without all the fancy contraptions they sell for compound bows nowadays.

The Janitor

Yeah I dislike buying anything that marries me to the manufacturer.

When it comes to placing personal limitations in any endeavor, the answer to the question "Why?" is usually always about or related to personal satisfaction.
Back to top Go down
buckeye

buckeye

Registration date : 2011-01-20

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:18 am

i think it`s called traditional archery. i have been shooting recurves and long bows since i have been a kid. killed many of deer with them. also love to hunt treerats with my blackwidow recurve.
Classical Archery? DSCN0599
Back to top Go down
Williamson

Williamson

Registration date : 2011-01-07

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 4:27 pm

I shoot a PSE Recurve. Mostly targets but I do take it hunting occasionally. All the crazy compounds with fiber optic sights just don't feel like a real bow to me.
Back to top Go down
Cuervo25_1

Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Due to a shoulder injury I cannot hold a recurve or longbow in full draw long enough to hunt with anymore. In my younger uninjured days I had a recurve that I would shoot groundhogs with that would get into our garden.Now I have to get reaquanted with bows and aquanted with the "new" compound bow I have to get back in the hunting scene.
Back to top Go down
Ol'Dawg

Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 5:40 pm

No, I've never been an archery hunter. Just black and smokeless powder rifles and pistols. I do however miss seeing the old black and white Fred Bear TV shows. I'll never forget my excitement at seeing him hit flying pheasants...and my dad's remark that we didn't have enough money for arrows to allow me to take it up. Laughing

Jim...wishing some channel would start reruns.
Back to top Go down
buckeye

buckeye

Registration date : 2011-01-20

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 8:09 pm

i have nothing against compounds. as long as you do it legal i have no problem with what weapon anyone uses. i love the recurve but have used compounds, i shot recurves in archery tournaments when no one else used one. they thought i was nuts. but now they have made a come back. takes a lot of practice to get good with one. i have taken many deer with black powder. bought my first black widow new for 420.00 and now they go for 800 and up. use what you like to hunt with just do it legal. it`s amazing how many hunters don`t no who fred bear is. good vids on you tube of him.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:34 am

buckeye wrote:
i have nothing against compounds. as long as you do it legal i have no problem with what weapon anyone uses. i love the recurve but have used compounds, i shot recurves in archery tournaments when no one else used one. they thought i was nuts. but now they have made a come back. takes a lot of practice to get good with one. i have taken many deer with black powder. bought my first black widow new for 420.00 and now they go for 800 and up. use what you like to hunt with just do it legal. it`s amazing how many hunters don`t no who fred bear is. good vids on you tube of him.

He was awesome! The asprin shooting blows me away. He could do that consistently... affraid

edit...

Oops, that´s Byron Freguson that does the trick shooting, Fred Bear was the hunter and bowyer:oops:

Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Yeah Byron Ferguson lived right down the road from the archery store where I practiced with my Bear recurve as a kid. Not sure if he still lives in Alabama. He was always a really nice down to earth guy.

The term "classical" archery was coined by a fellow named Dean Torges who has a video out teaching how to make your own bamboo backed longbows out of osage. I've got 2 of these bows, and they are so lightweight and whisper quiet to shoot. They are a little more challenging to set up since they are not built centershot, but they shoot great when tuned properly. Plus they are as lightweight to carry as a broom handle. I also enjoy making cedar arrows. It's really therapeutic spending a couple weeks building a dozen in my spare time.

The weather has been really great here lately and I've been enjoying going down to the local archery range and smoking a few bowls of briar in between sessions.

Here's a link to Dean Torges site if anyone is interested in making their own bamboo backed bow.

http://www.bowyersedge.com/index.html
Back to top Go down
Stinger4me

Registration date : 2010-02-19

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Trying to get back to the recurve following major shoulder surgery. I am not there yet but the strength is returning. The archery season in Michigan usually has nicer weather than the firearms season. I hope to be able to use a bow by this fall. If not there is always a shotgun and the dog(s).

Stinger
Back to top Go down
showme1or2

showme1or2

Registration date : 2007-12-13

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Anybody shooting their recurves now? I've got a 1974 AMF Redwing Hunter that I'm having fun with.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:52 pm

It´s been so long now, doubt I could draw a recurve for very long anymore. I had a nice PSE when i lived up in the states and enjoyed that quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 10:00 pm

I haven't shot in many years. Nice Black Widow pic. Very Happy

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Archery?   Classical Archery? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 1:20 am

Around here 4th of July begins the kickoff of the hunting expos held at the civic centers, meaning hunting season is right around the corner. Time to start getting in some consistent practice. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

Classical Archery? Empty
PostSubject: Traditional Archery   Classical Archery? EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Dutch, Welcome to the world of traditional archery, very rewarding way to hunt & spend quaility time with family and friends. 20 years ago a few of us trad guys got together and set up a 3D/Ames course in one of my bushes. Great way to spend an evening or weekend.

Aim small, miss small.
Hawker
Back to top Go down

Classical Archery?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: