HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How many fly fishermen in the BoB?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
smokinbriar

Registration date : 2011-02-01

How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 10:46 am

Just wanted to mention these 2 sites,this is not a ad or promotion.I live nearby penns creek in union/center county pa dam good trout fishing,home of the the world famouse green drake.Getting into flyfishing more each year,both these sites have excellent info on the streams ,hatches ect. www.pennscreekangler.com and www.thefeatheredhook.com enjoy.
Back to top Go down
TallSmoke

TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 4:02 pm

I am a fly fisherman, for the most part. I'll use spinning rods with my young sons from time to time. This spring (April and May) I'm planning to fish the waters in the Pisgah National Forest quite a bit. We have a home in West Jefferson, NC, so I'll be fishing local streams and creeks there and around Ashe County, as well, going after Brookies and Bows and the occasional Brown. My oldest two boys will be learning the fly rod, and I'll be helping them get "hooked" on fly fishing more than I'll be fishing myself most days. Hoping for a great spring season.
Back to top Go down
http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Idlefellow

Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Count me in the group; pipes and fly fishing just seem to go together. I've accumulated a bunch of rods over the years, but my favorites are my Winstons, which I am fortunate to own in 3,4,5,6 and 8wts. The WT series rods have a sweet old-school action; those in the bigger/faster/farther club won't care much for it. They all wear Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reels which I think are a great value in fly reels, plus I've never gotten into the whole large arbor thing. Living in Kansas means it's largely pan fish for me, although there are a couple of decent stocked trout areas nearby, and I make it out to Colorado for trout as often as I can. One of my favorite spots is within walking distance of my house which is nice; some nice bass, lots of fat bluegills, and some big ol' grass carp (the poor man's bonefish) that'll take you into the backing. Hoping the weather holds, as I'm planning to make it out this weekend for the first time this season. Tight lines!
Back to top Go down
dbl-haul

dbl-haul

Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 8:17 pm

I have been fly fishing almost thirty years. My first rod was a bubble packed setup from a local catalog store . My equipment has improved over the years but I had the most fun using and learning on that cheap set up.
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:46 pm

I truly enjoy fly fishing here in MidCoast Maine, but all we have had for the last 12 days is rain and cold. The water will take another week or more to get down to decent levels around here if the rain ever stops. Size 16 Zug Bug on a 5 weight sinking tip will do the trick.
Back to top Go down
WaydeG

WaydeG

Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:57 pm

Haven't fly fished in years. Always loved it. Tried one of the tube/floaters to bass fish with poppers and had to fend off water moccasins. That fad went quick. I'll stick to the blue gills when they spawn - mean and willing to take almost anything that comes near their nest/beds.
Back to top Go down
lestrout

Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 8:34 pm

I've been ffishing longer than I've been puffing, and I started that in '61. I'm 99% trouts in moving water. Tobaccowise I've pretty much centered on Latakias - any guesses to the kind of flies I prefer? (just checking stereotypes here).

tl and hp
lestrout
Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 11:11 am

Great fly fishing video trailer

Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 1:28 pm

The trout are deep in the lakes right now, so it's bass time for me in midcoast Maine. Caught on a sled jig.

How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 Nice_b24
Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 7:18 pm

oooohhhh, Doc, nice photo and nice fish too....thanks bounce
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 10:06 pm

docwatson wrote:
The trout are deep in the lakes right now, so it's bass time for me in midcoast Maine. Caught on a sled jig.

How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 Nice_b24

Nice catch Doc!!
They still have that surprised look on their faces...
Back to top Go down
Innes

Registration date : 2011-06-28

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 5:45 am

I'm a fly Fisherman and Fly Tyer. Although I'm not very good at either, I enjoy catching fish on my Not-So-Well-Proportioned flies.

How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 P1000227-1

How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 DSCN4782

How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 DSCN4787
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:24 am

Innes,
Proportion is probably important to some tyers and some finicky fish, but as long as your creations work who cares???? Nice photos and good job of tying the flies. I've tied most of everything over the last 40 years, from salmon flies to bass bugs and it's a great pasttime. Favorite flies are still wet and streamer flies for trout and salmon here in the Northeast. Keep up the good work and fishing for that elusive trophy.
Doc
Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Thanks for the pictures guys. cheers
Back to top Go down
slipknor

Registration date : 2011-11-21

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 5:15 am

yes, I'm a flyfisher too!
Here in Italy my favourite style is dry fly fishing in small streams, trying to catch some brown trouts... Cool
Back to top Go down
rxman

rxman

Registration date : 2011-08-03

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:39 pm

WaydeG wrote:

I'll stick to the blue gills when they spawn - mean and willing to take almost anything that comes near their nest/beds.

Amen, always my favorite. Could catch and release for hours, loved it. Now I live close to the ocean so my fishing now is bottom fishing off the boats. But always enjoyed light weight fly fishing.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/jkarpus
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

docwatson wrote:
Innes,
Proportion is probably important to some tyers and some finicky fish, but as long as your creations work who cares????

+1

I also think a good presentation trumps proportion. Put a real klunky looking attractor in the right place.....BAM!
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Im no fly fisherman but my grandpa was. I would paddle him around his pond when he was getting pretty old and he would work towards the bank. he made fly fishing look so easy, more like a work of art. I never could get the nack of it no matter how hard he tried to teach me. All I know is I enjoyed watching him work a fly across the water and bring in a nice bass. Like I said, him and his fly rod working together was a work of art.
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Plumber,
it's never too late to start fly fishing and you don't have to be a purist to have a ball. Weather was in the 60's last Monday and I was out wading the river and caught a couple very nice brown trout on an Olive Green Wooly Bugger. Fantastic day with the Bald Eagles soaring overhead looking to get a few fish for themselves. After 3 hours my feet felt like cement blocks and frozen in the cold water but it was shirt sleeve fishing conditions. A real bonus fishing this late in the year in Maine.
Doc
Back to top Go down
rxman

rxman

Registration date : 2011-08-03

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 11:23 pm

docwatson wrote:
Plumber,
it's never too late to start fly fishing and you don't have to be a purist to have a ball. Weather was in the 60's last Monday and I was out wading the river and caught a couple very nice brown trout on an Olive Green Wooly Bugger. Fantastic day with the Bald Eagles soaring overhead looking to get a few fish for themselves. After 3 hours my feet felt like cement blocks and frozen in the cold water but it was shirt sleeve fishing conditions. A real bonus fishing this late in the year in Maine.
Doc

Sounds Great...making me jealous lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/jkarpus
Innes

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 7:06 am

Well it's officially winter here. Time to start tying flies. Here's a picture of a Lenok I caught this year. I've caught bigger ones but I only took a picture of this one. Fish or take pictures? fish.

[img]How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 P1000841[/img]
Back to top Go down
Dave_In_Philly

Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:29 am

MisterE wrote:

Basic equipment:

Rod- a 4 wt with as fast action as you can find (the Sages are terrific and quite reasonable)

Reel- just get one, the modest ones work as well as the expensive titanium alloy ones. This is the least important component...

Quick, but novice question. What do reasonable and modest equate too in dollars? I googled the Sage rods and the cheapest is several hundred dollars and they run up to and over a grand. But at the same time Amazon sells complete sets for less than $50. So I guess my question (seeing as this is a pipe forum) is: what would a Savinelli Duca Carlo equate to in the fly fishing world?
Back to top Go down
Innes

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
MisterE wrote:

Basic equipment:

Rod- a 4 wt with as fast action as you can find (the Sages are terrific and quite reasonable)

Reel- just get one, the modest ones work as well as the expensive titanium alloy ones. This is the least important component...

Quick, but novice question. What do reasonable and modest equate too in dollars? I googled the Sage rods and the cheapest is several hundred dollars and they run up to and over a grand. But at the same time Amazon sells complete sets for less than $50. So I guess my question (seeing as this is a pipe forum) is: what would a Savinelli Duca Carlo equate to in the fly fishing world?

I'm not sure what Amazon has for $50; might be used, maybe it's an Eagle Claw, etc. You can get a decent 4wt, 4 piece rod, reel, and line combo for about $200 which is reasonable to me. Orvis, Tempe Fork, Cabelas all have good starter kits with good warranties for about $200 and under.
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: How many fly fishermen in the BoB?   How many fly fishermen in the BoB? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

How many fly fishermen in the BoB?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: