The cutty shape

Go down 
AuthorMessage
vaperfavour

vaperfavour

Registration date : 2008-03-16

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 1:52 am

Why do i love this shape so much? And why dont more pipemakers have this shape in their repoirtoire? i love them with little feet and LOOOONG shanks preferably with a colored stem. I would think that with the preponderance of classic shapes like the buldog, billiard, dublin, etc. that this classic shape be would be as well loved and represented. let this be a call to modern pipemakers to MAKE MORE CUTTYS! The only pipemakers i know of who make this much loved shape are Tom Eltang, Mark tinsky, and Michael Lindner. Anyone love this shape as much as i do? Even more importantly does anyone know of other makers who make this shape? Smile
Back to top Go down

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 3:43 am

Ardor made a cutty for a pipe of the year for Pipes and Tobacco. They may still have some left.
Back to top Go down
ZuluCollector

ZuluCollector

Registration date : 2007-12-12

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 10:17 am

Like you, I love the cutty. It is one of my favorite shapes and has been so for a long time.

Dunhill's cutty is quite a nice shape; a friend has a very old one and it's really a lovely pipe.

Jody Davis makes a gorgeous cutty. I have one in my collection.
Back to top Go down
http://www.apassionforpipes.com
Wet Dottle

Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Although I love the shape, I don't like to smoke a pipe with the bowl pointing away from me.
Back to top Go down
ZuluCollector

ZuluCollector

Registration date : 2007-12-12

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 6:47 pm

Here is a picture of my Jody Davis cutty per request:

The cutty shape Img0087iphotoeditedjl4
Back to top Go down
http://www.apassionforpipes.com
regor

Registration date : 2007-12-17

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 7:37 pm

The Cutty sure is a great looker. I don't think it would be that difficult to lite and smoke. I have a Christmas pipe from 04 from Tinsky. While it does smoke good I have an awful time liting it. I have no depth perception is part of the reason but I still can't see it properly. The top is charred. I would be willing to trade it for another pipe or some tobacco LOL. Its the rough finish and looks good. Sice I don't have top teeth there aren't bite marks but might have a scratch or two.. Its a nice one but what the Hay. Its just not for me. Sorry I got off subject there. bounce
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

Registration date : 2007-12-17

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 7:52 pm

It is a very nice shape.

I have a Cavvichi that is a variation of the Cutty with a Dublin shaped bowl. The bowl is canted slightly forward like a Cutty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
niceguy

Registration date : 2008-04-21

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 12:25 am

I am surprised Peterson doesn't make one (as far as I am aware)

further, I don't consider a pipe a cutty unless it has the nubbin on the bottom of the bowl. Without the nubbin I consider it a belge. I have a couple of belges but no cuttys, would like to rectify that situation.
Back to top Go down
vaperfavour

vaperfavour

Registration date : 2008-03-16

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 3:56 am

I agree. without the nubbin it looks like a belge. for some reasom or another if it doesnt have the nubbin the shape loses much of the appeal for me. it should have a nubbin and an egg shaped bowl slightly canted, preferably with a long pencil thin shank. i just won a great example off of e-bay, meerschaum at that.
Back to top Go down
Mongo

Registration date : 2008-04-08

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 8:34 pm

I have a Tilshead cutty, and I've seen Upshall cuttys as well. A lovely pipe, it was a gift from my "brother that I never had". He knows a good pipe when he sees one.

So there's one more maker that keeps the shape in his catalog.
Back to top Go down
ofafeather

Registration date : 2008-03-12

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptySun May 11, 2008 6:33 pm

I have an Ashton Cutty chruchwarden. It's a great little pipe and almost exactly like a tavern clay. I wish the bowl were bigger Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
BVulgaris

Registration date : 2019-05-28

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 1:52 pm

I've been trying to figure out what style of cutty this is.

Very pronounced long acorn shaped bowl and at a larger angle to the stem.

Most cuttys I see have a much smaller angle between pipe and stem.

The cutty shape Img_3310
Back to top Go down
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

The cutty shape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cutty shape   The cutty shape EmptyThu Jan 02, 2020 10:24 pm

Although I , too, love this shape, I just can't bring myself to get a high-end pipe because it's just inevitable that one day I'll char the chamber to bits because I can't see where I'm lighting it.

The Polish carver Wojtek Pastuch has had a beautiful cutty for sale on smoking pipes.com for many months just callingmy name but there's just no way I can shell out 4 bills plus because I KNOW it would just be a matter of time before I ruined it! So I stick to my Ropp cutty and Belge pipes and practice and smoke them and what the hell if they eventually go by the wayside.
Back to top Go down

The cutty shape
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: