E-Readers

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ericpaulson

Registration date : 2011-12-09

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 3:12 pm

I love my Kindle, and recommend "My Lady Nicotine" free from Project Gutenberg.
Back to top Go down
http://ericpaulsonpipes.com
roogles

roogles

Registration date : 2011-12-13

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 5:56 pm

In 2010 I read 234 novels.

I shirked a bit in 2011 and only read around 170.

I do almost all of my reading on my iPad using a combination of the iBooks app or the Amazon Kindle app.

I think an actual Kindle would be easier on the eyes.

I agree that some books are just better in paper and leather because of sentimental value, but for someone who reads a lot I just can't justify carting that number of books around with me.

I used a Sony e-reader for a few years before I got my first iPad, and it was OK. I hear that the kindles are a big improvement.

Back to top Go down
http://blog.roogles.com
murfman

murfman

Registration date : 2011-12-05

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 8:55 pm

[quote]In 2010 I read 234 novels.

I shirked a bit in 2011 and only read around 170.[\quote]

You shirked and hit 170? I tried and made less than a third of that.

What do you read primarily?
Back to top Go down
roogles

roogles

Registration date : 2011-12-13

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 pm

[quote="murfman"]
Quote :
In 2010 I read 234 novels.

I shirked a bit in 2011 and only read around 170.[\quote]

You shirked and hit 170? I tried and made less than a third of that.

What do you read primarily?

I read a lot of fiction. Sci-Fi, Sci-Fi Fantasy, Comedy, Action.

I try to mix in some non-fiction, but most of that is related to church/spirituality type of stuff.

I'm also a big re-reader for things that I enjoyed the first time. There are a few series that I read once a year or so...

In 2011 I read the Harry Potter Series, the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paloni, The Hitchiker's Trilogy by Douglas Adams, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Hobbit, the Chronicles of Narnia series, about a dozen Christopher Moore novels, The Gunslinger/Dark Tower series by Stephen King, The Myst Series by Robyn Miller, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, three of Rob Bell's books (Velvet Elvis, Sex God, and Love Wins), Messy Spirituality by Mike Yaconnelli, two books by AJ JAcobs, The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose, The Undertaking by Thomas Lynch, some Peter Rollins, some Tony Jones, and a dozen or so Youth Ministry related books...

I'm forgetting a lot, but I'd have to get my iPad out to see what I missed.

Currently I'm reading the Steve Jobs biography and another Christopher Moore novel (The Stupidest Angel) for Christmas.

Back to top Go down
http://blog.roogles.com
Foxfire

Foxfire

Registration date : 2011-01-29

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 2:43 pm

I've always been an avid reader and have been accused, in the past, of having some slightly Luddite tendencies.

Contrary to this, I recently purchased a Kindle Fire and promptly downloaded the "A Song of Ice & Fire" series (which I have thoroughly enjoyed so far).

I know it's just an echo of what others have said, but I really love sitting outside and smoking a pipe and reading, while listening to the "99 Must-Have Mozart Masterpieces" (which I got for, I think, $2. Hard to beat.). I also like the "reading in bed" aspect, which I have never enjoyed until now.

Also as others have said, I just love books for some things. I enjoy looking at the entire Wheel of Time series sitting on my bookshelf. I like how several of my books smell strongly of past tobaccos, and how they feel in my hand.

Besides for reading, the Kindle is fun for watching netflix videos while, ahem, "using the facilities".
Back to top Go down
JM

JM

Registration date : 2011-11-12

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 11:00 pm

I did search on Gutenberg for tobacco and found a bunch of free reading material.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/
Back to top Go down
http://More then one. PM me if you want the links.
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 1:03 am

Ok, after a week using a first Gen Kindle 1, I'm an e-book believer, for certain items. A buddy gave me his first Gen Kindle last week. I was reading Stephen Kings 11-23-63, which is just over 900 pages long. It was like holding a brick in each hand. I switched to the Kindle half-way through and never looked back. For books, the Kindle with a one-button page turn is just more convenient. I bought two Kindle Fires this Christmas, one for each daughter. Those are color and have a lot more bells & whistles (function much like a pad). I can see reading a magazine on these, but I'd still prefer the print versions for that format. Books, hands down the Kindle is the champ.

I'll still buy reference books on print and just added four pipe/tobacco titles to my library:
- Confessions of a Pipe Man
- All About Tobacco (Sherman)
- Pipe (Crole)
- The Ultimate Cigar Book.
The last three were used, via Amazon for $10 delivered (each).
Back to top Go down
CareyBlueBoar

CareyBlueBoar

Registration date : 2013-02-12

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 10:33 pm

I use my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 for ereading. You can download almost any ereader software(Nook, Amazon, etc) onto the tablet. I like the Samsung, but also like the tactile feel of regular books..
Back to top Go down
bosun1

bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 pm

I use an inexpensive Kobo. Not backlit so you need light to read it. Nicest thing about these e-readers is the adjustable font. Hardcover books are OK but paperbacks just remind me I no longer have the eyes of a fifty year old..
Back to top Go down
petertschantz

petertschantz

Registration date : 2010-08-12

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 am

I got myself a Kindle paperwhite for my bday. Don't want to do anything but read on it, so the paperwhite was my choice.

I still prefer a tangible book, in theory. But having said that, the convenience factor of the reader is very high. I already have bookcases full of books, and not much room for more cases. I also read quite quickly, so being able to take the kindle on a trip vs. having to carry actual books means I can actually read all I want.

my 2 cents anyway
Back to top Go down
http://www.petertschantz.com/
friar_jay

friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 12:07 pm

I have a Kindle Fire; however, I'm finding it hard to really make the transition from holding the actually book to a digital representation of it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/13483
riff raff

riff raff

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 12:44 pm

My wife bought me a Kindle Fire for my birthday and I've been using it since August. It is slightly more convenient than the First Gen Kindle. It still doesn't allow for easy filing, even with a program I bought from the Kindle Store. I use it 99.9% of the time for simply reading books. I get "The Pipe Collector" in PDF, but it doesn't transfer well to the Kindle because of the formatting. I've picked up a few free auto magazine subscriptions but find reading them on the Fire is a bit tedious. It does have web access, but typing via touchscreen is also tedious (I can type 80 wpm on a keyboard). In a pinch, it can be used for web surfing, but the laptop is a far better choice for me.
Back to top Go down
Buckshot

Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 2:04 pm

I started with a Nook Simple Touch that was a Christmas gift last year, and this year I switched to the Nook Color, and it is a much better e-reader. It has a lot more features, is easier to use and of course has color, which makes for a much brighter screen.
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 2:12 pm

The Fire is also back-lit, so I don' t need a light. This past summer, at hotels I've sat in a bag chair, with my pipe and Kindle and some very enjoyable reads. Which sure beats getting stuck in a hotel room watching television. I was also able to remove the interrogation spotlight I had mounted on our bed headboard, the wife was pretty appreciative to lose that!
Back to top Go down
serif365

serif365

Registration date : 2012-08-31

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 3:01 pm

I started with a first generation Nook and when I bought my Mom a Nook "Glow" I bought one for myself. My mother is 81 and I was pleasantly surprised to find she loves hers as well as I do mine. We've both read more than 20 titles apiece in the last year and I carry mine wherever I go. The screen/script is very easy on the eye and the backlight "glow" makes it perfect for reading in the dark... especially when I'm on the porch enjoying an evening pipe.

I highly recommend this technology and still enjoy the feel of a real book in my hand. Smile
Back to top Go down
HCraven

HCraven

Registration date : 2012-12-09

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 3:36 pm

I've been reading on my 10" Android tablet for about a year, though I have read only 6 or 8 titles in that time. As mentioned above, it's nice to be able to buy books from all major retailers rather than being stuck with just 1, plus my local library lends books electronically through another app (they've got some titles in Kindle format, too, but selection is more limited).
I appreciate the backlight, as lighting was always a pain when reading. The large format is nice, too: not as many page turns, even when I use a slightly larger font. My only potential gripe is the weight of the tablet, but I think newer models will be tipping the scales at lower weights.

I might still get a basic e-reader someday, but I think I'll wait and see. Once the "gee whiz" factor wears off, I think they'll be giving the basic models away just so you can buy e-books from them.
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Don't forget with the free program, "Calibre", you can convert any document into the platform you need on your machine. It works great and I use it frequently to convert EPUB to MOBI. If will do PDF to Mobi or Epub as well, but that doesn't always come out clean.
http://calibre-ebook.com/
Back to top Go down
Wet Dottle

Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 4:10 pm

I, too, am a convert to the e-book. Unlike many, however, I lost the love for paper and find it a bother every time I need to read a bound book. Especially when reading in bed, I will not touch a paper book. The e-book is so much more convenient and comfortable to hold and use.
Back to top Go down
camky

Registration date : 2013-05-14

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 1:46 pm

im a fun of kindle
Back to top Go down
http://www.swisscubancigars.com/
riff raff

riff raff

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Ok, I found a downside to the Fire. I took it to FL last week and you cannot read this thing in bright sunlight, as found outdoors in much of Florida.........My first gen Kindle was perfect at the beach, the Fire kind of frustrating.
Back to top Go down

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 7:11 pm

I've been a Nook fan for a good while. The original died and I got a touch. OK, but things I liked on the 1st edition more. Not a Kindle fan -- too proprietary for my taste. Have the touch and a 7" Android unit. Put 32G class 10 SD cards in both so have plenty of space for books. Smile

My reading is almost exclusively via the Nook. I really like an e-paper screen.

Agree on Calibre with other posts. It a great book management tool. Anybody a Sci-Fi fan is welcome to PM me.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:03 pm

I am using the Kindle 1st Gen with the cool cover that has a retractable light. It's my wife's. She used it for a while but it fell out of favor with her for one reason or another.

Anyway, most nights I read to my kids at bed time with their lights off, otherwise they never fall asleep. I had become a master of holding a small LED flashlight in one hand and the book in the other flipping pages with my pointer finger. After suffering from hand cramps, and replacing numerous batteries and even a few flashlights, my wife says "Why don't you just use my Kindle?" Laughing 

Awesome device, especially for using it for my purpose. Plus I think I downloaded "The Wind in the Willows" for $0.00! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 5:47 pm

I use my Nexus 7 for reading Project Gutenburg books, and it works better for me that I expected it to. These are downloaded and so I can read them offline, in the plane, etc. I have various versions of the Bible downloaded through the "YouVersion" app, and while in Honduras, I have even been reading the Daily Office online. I download the zipped html pages and save them in the google drive. I have never tried the Nook or the Kindle, but I can recommend the Nexus 7.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371

E-Readers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E-Readers   E-Readers - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 10:42 am

If you like or are merely considering using an e-reader, I would recommend a visit to:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/

It has a lot of info about the various readers and how to go about understanding your options .
Back to top Go down

E-Readers
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: