Larry Niven

Go down 
AuthorMessage
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

Larry Niven Empty
PostSubject: Larry Niven   Larry Niven EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 3:08 pm

So, I'm not a huge Sci-Fi reader (although I did enjoy most of the Dune saga and absolutely love the Ender/Shadow series by Card), but a good friend of mine has been pushing me to read Niven's Ringworld books.

I think there are a few sci-fi readers here...what are your opinions of the series? Just kind of an open question, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Dave_In_Philly

Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

Larry Niven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larry Niven   Larry Niven EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm

idbowman wrote:
So, I'm not a huge Sci-Fi reader (although I did enjoy most of the Dune saga and absolutely love the Ender/Shadow series by Card), but a good friend of mine has been pushing me to read Niven's Ringworld books.

I think there are a few sci-fi readers here...what are your opinions of the series? Just kind of an open question, I guess.

I've never read them so I can't actually answer your question, but since it seems our tastes are similar (not huge sci-fi freak, but a big fan of the Dune and Ender series) and based on your picture I'd say we're pretty close in age (having grown up in the 80's), I'd suggest you take a look at Ready Player One - its not a life changer and its certainly not Crime and Punishment, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
calipuffer

Registration date : 2011-10-04

Larry Niven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larry Niven   Larry Niven EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:36 pm

I've read the Mote in God's Eye books (the sequel is written by his daughter I believe), and they are enjoyable. Have not read the Ringworld books.
Back to top Go down
Fazby

Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-22

Larry Niven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larry Niven   Larry Niven EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 7:09 pm

I thought Ringworld was excellent.If you enjoy it, read the second one. I enjoyed that too but not asmuch as the first book. Have not read the third.
Back to top Go down
deepbass9

deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

Larry Niven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larry Niven   Larry Niven EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 10:44 am

Sorry...much like others here, I can't offer up opinions on Ringworld.

However, if you like noir at all...The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton by Niven is, IMHO, pretty dang superb.
Back to top Go down
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

Larry Niven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larry Niven   Larry Niven EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 9:23 pm

I feel like a broken record..

"I have not read Ringworld"

but...

"Lucifer's Hammer" by Niven and Pournelle is excellent scifi.
Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

Larry Niven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larry Niven   Larry Niven EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Have read the 2 original books in the Ringworld series many times but has been years, was really into SciFi when I was younger.

You might want to read the original Crashlander aka "Known-Space" series of short stories first. Not sure where you can get these in one volume, I originally read them as part of the original anthologies when they were published back in the late 60's/early 70's. They really set up the background for the Ringworld novels.

Now you got me wanting to check out the newer books and stories in this series I think Niven has kept writing them all the way up to the current days. There are probably another 2 or 3 series of books that are all interconnected with these that Niven has written over the years.

Never got into the Niven/Pournelle books, I like Jerry Pournelle as a computer writer, used to live for each month's copy of Byte so I could read his column and still enjoy his podcasts, but not his scifi.

Back to top Go down

Larry Niven
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: