home defence shot gun

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
plumbernater

plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

home defence shot gun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 10:04 am

my wife has one of those taurus judges, shoots 45 long colt or 410 shot shell. She keeps hers loaded with 3 buck shot and 2-45s if they run. Did I say she was good with it as well. So far no paper plate or can has servived that ran across her path.
Back to top Go down
Josjor

Josjor

Registration date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 7:40 pm

plumbernater wrote:
my wife has one of those taurus judges, shoots 45 long colt or 410 shot shell. She keeps hers loaded with 3 buck shot and 2-45s if they run. Did I say she was good with it as well. So far no paper plate or can has servived that ran across her path.

I hope you have a very, very, VERY good lawyer if they're running and she's still shooting.
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Be saving some one else, less protected, a terrible fate. In all reality no one is going to get shot in the back. It was just a remark about the way she loads up.
Back to top Go down
tech2576

tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:35 pm

My constant companion xd40 is on the night stand with a flashlight and cell phone, Rem. 870 full of low recoil )) buck behind the closet door, Mrs. has a 9mm taurus 24/7 compact on her side of the bed as well.

All members of the household know what needs to happen if things go bump in the night.
They also know if I reach for the pistol while out and about to get the He dbl. hockey sticks away from me because I'm about to become a bullet magnet!

The wife and I have taken pistol classes from a few locally respected trainers and I am always looking for deals on training. We go to the range every month or so, although I would like to go more often.

Stay safe out there.
Remeber the Supreme court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect you! it is all on you.
Back to top Go down
tech2576

tech2576

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:36 pm

My constant companion xd40 is on the night stand with a flashlight and cell phone, Rem. 870 full of low recoil )) buck behind the closet door, Mrs. has a 9mm taurus 24/7 compact on her side of the bed as well.

All members of the household know what needs to happen if things go bump in the night.
They also know if I reach for the pistol while out and about to get the He dbl. hockey sticks away from me because I'm about to become a bullet magnet!

The wife and I have taken pistol classes from a few locally respected trainers and I am always looking for deals on training. We go to the range every month or so, although I would like to go more often.

Stay safe out there.
Remeber the Supreme court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect you! it is all on you.
Back to top Go down
tech2576

tech2576

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Simple Man wrote:
LIPIPE wrote:
Sadly, there seems to be an uptick in the number of home invasions all over this country. One brother who is 60 years old wrote that he always carries a loaded glock on his person all the time in his own home. How very sad a commentary is that. There needs to be an attitude of home defense first if foolish criminals think that they can plunder the innocent. No court of law or police agency would say anything other than "Thank you" for a good job done well. I am a mild mannered pipe smoker but also a realist. Defending the homeland starts in one's own home.

BTW, armor piercing ammo is not a good idea as such could penetrate the houses all down the street. That is where civil liability enters the equation.

I agree... I live right up the road from Kennesaw, GA, the town gained some notoriety some twenty years ago when they passed a law/ordinance (non-enforceable of course) requiring all home owners to own a firearm. The message was to the criminals that they might want to find an easier target than Kennesaw residents...

Simple Man we need to meet some time. I live in Lilburn!
Ever been to Puff and Stuff in Decatur? Nice little B&M right off 285, been grabbing stuff there to try almost weekly since I found it.
Very good selection of pipe tobacco compared to most B&M's I have been to.
Drop me a line and maybe we can meet up some time.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Josjor wrote:
plumbernater wrote:

I hope you have a very, very, VERY good lawyer if they're running and she's still shooting.

Easy solution: don't miss. Dead men tell no tales, and dead criminals can't find ways to lie and cheat their way out of a sentence by making the defender the bad guy.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Roll him over and shoot him twice in the shoulder. He spun before the third shot got there. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Roll him over and shoot him twice in the shoulder. He spun before the third shot got there. Twisted Evil

"360° twist and a spectacular faceplant... what a performance!"

Laughing

home defence shot gun - Page 2 Smiley-score010
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 10:39 am

puros_bran wrote:

I find it interesting that you have this scenario all thought out,,, Razz

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:16 am

Mark it's more believable than "Officer it was the damnedest thing, he was yelling 'your a dead man mother $&@ker' while moon walking towards me"
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 3:33 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Mark it's more believable than "Officer it was the damnedest thing, he was yelling 'your a dead man mother $&@ker' while moon walking towards me"

MJ soundtrack optional?

Laughing
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 7:41 pm

puros_bran wrote:

lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down
SPUD 15

SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 2:25 pm

puros_bran wrote:
AND..

Guy, I can guarantee there is nothing 'cavalier' about defending yourself or others. You do what you must to protect yourtself from the bad guys. I was taught to shoot to hit. Unfortunatly for an intruder 'Shooting to hit' REQUIRES aiming center mass. IF it ever happens to me, I am not going to try 'leg shots' etc in the heat of the moment when adrenaline is pumping, nerves are on edge and I have nothing to fall back on but trained muscle memory.

Another point worth considering.. When you are training, practise is a very dangerous word now a days, do not automatically draw/shoot.. Draw/evaluate/ shoot-no shoot.
Because if you train draw/shoot that is exactly what you will do and the results are sometimes disasterous.

It's a fun hobby, and sometimes a funny topic.. but reality is it is deadly serious with someones life and someones death hanging in the balance.

My firearms in my home are a colt .45. Randall .45, and a beretta .40. All loaded with safety slugs wont penetrate walls but massive fluid loss. Not to be critical but when you are unloading with rounds that have the ability to penetrate two layers of drywall ther is always the chance that your loved ones can be on the other side of the wall. Before the advent of saftey slugs my wife and children were instructed if there was an intruder in the house at night to lay on the floor as I would always be fireing low to high. SAFTEY ALWAYS. Never turn your lights on at niight as no one knows your home better than you. JUST SOM RAMBLINGS OF A OLD MAN MIKE.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 2:42 pm

No Spud, your 110% correct about coordinating the safety plans... to me its as important as fire drills..

The only fault I see with your whole thing is the "Nobody knows your home better than you"... Thats BS and I can prove it.
How many times you busted a knee cap because momma moved the furniture.. Yup, it shoulda read "Nobody knows your house as good as your wife." lol
Back to top Go down
LIPIPE

LIPIPE

Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Spud is 64 so mama's no spring chicken. Spud gets told where to move the furniture. Ha Ha
Back to top Go down
SPUD 15

SPUD 15

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 2:57 pm

LIPIPE wrote:
Spud is 64 so mama's no spring chicken. Spud gets told where to move the furniture. Ha Ha

WHAT FURNITURE affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Kind of like that ongoing argument--will the cocking of a weapon deter and scare an intruder or give him a target in the dark for said intruder to begin firing toward?

I figure if they're in my house uninvited, and they don't see me when I see them, all they'll likely see is muzzle flash, and a lot of it.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 4:28 pm

I don't draw a weapon to deter. There is no warning shot.
All that crap is TVland that WILL get you or worse your loved ones hurt.

Cops have to yell, "Stop Police!". I aint a cop.
Back to top Go down
SPUD 15

SPUD 15

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 4:55 pm

puros_bran wrote:
All that crap is TVland that WILL get you or worse your loved ones hurt.

Cops have to yell, "Stop Police!". I aint a cop.

Right on "CENTER OF MASS"
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 5:44 pm

puros_bran wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was advised by a ny state trooper (my cousin,,hey, he still owes me $50 come to think of it, the bum),,

A long detailed explaination ensued involving multiple variables and the effects of adrenaline blah blah blah,,,,

Back to top Go down
Saint

Saint

Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 1:47 am

LIPIPE wrote:
Positive thoughts while smoking Penzance in a Claude Romain bent pot...
Just like smok'in a great pipe.....it's the combo of the equipment and the load.

I'd say a Rem 870 Express loaded with four rounds in the tube and of course one additional round chambered on safety. No need to have to disturb the peace in the neighborhood by having to rack the equipment. First two blasts are 00 Buck. By now the territory should be covered. If the perp is still standing but "confused", I'd bring him into focus with three remaining job finisher Rem Sluggers. At this point any uninvited visitor has been well "ventilated". The bad news is your protected home requires skim coating and a paint job unless splashed red with random pock marks is your decor of choice. Smile

LIPIPE
I think you've got it down pat, except for a few minor changes I would make. First I would keep my chamber empty, not for safety reasons, but the sound of a shell being racked into a 870 would make any sane person jump out of the window they came in, if they don't flee you know what and who your dealing with. Second I would load all 00 or 000 buck. Remember you don't aim a shotgun you point it, plus there's a good chance of a slug going through multiple walls in the house and hitting someone else. Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Josjor

Josjor

Registration date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:01 am

Saint wrote:

I think you've got it down pat, except for a few minor changes I would make. First I would keep my chamber empty, not for safety reasons, but the sound of a shell being racked into a 870 would make any sane person jump out of the window they came in, if they don't flee you know what and who your dealing with. Second I would load all 00 or 000 buck. Remember you don't aim a shotgun you point it, plus there's a good chance of a slug going through multiple walls in the house and hitting someone else. Just my thoughts.

I'm going to disagree with almost everything you said and so would most home defense experts.

While it is true that racking a pump shotgun is one of the most intimidating sounds known to man, it also informs an intruder that you're up and about and gives them a rough approximation of your location. Bad guys hopped up on drugs, adrenaline, or both don't usually act with good sense and so probably won't flee at the sound of a racking slide.

Secondly, you do aim a shotgun, or at least you should. At the typical room distance of 10-15 feet a load of 000 only makes an impact about the size of your fist from a typical legal short barreled shotgun. You need to aim. Period.

I will agree with your shot vs. slug advice.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:45 pm

I'll say it again, and change the wording so it's easier to understand.

Combat For Dummies:
#1 always be ready to go boom boom. Mr Badguy is ready.
#2 always be ready to go boom boom. Mr Badguy is ready.
#3 always be ready to go boom boom. Mr Badguy is ready.

Once the intruder is in your home I do not believe you have a moral or logical reason to offer deterrence. Ready weapon, stay stealthy and stay low, locate and identify intruder, aim weapon center mass, fire. It really is that simple.

Giving up tactical advantage by readying your weapon after locating the intruder will more likely result in your an your family's injury or death. Do you not think Mr Badguy readied his weapon before entering? You are very likely to catch a face worth of metal while racking that weapon.
Back to top Go down
Cuervo25_1

Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:41 pm

I am trying to save up for a 12 gauge remington 870 super mag combo that way I have the slug barrel for deer and bear hunting, the smooth bore for the any other type of hunting and I can pick up a tatical barrel along with other fun tatical goodies for cheap (relativley) and easy. when money permits I may purchase another one with a turkey barrel and convert that to strictly home defense.

On a side note check all of your state and municiple laws, some ammo may be completely illegal as well as firearms as such is the case more often than not in NJ. Also in NJ hunting with a center fire is illegal and rimfires can only be used to dispatch trapped animals and on private property for varmits (mainly only found in central and south Jersey) so the only thing left is shotgun, muzzle loader, and bow for hunting. So for me a shotgun with multable barrels for different situations would be ideal for minimal costs.

also here is an artical I found on which ammo would be best.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/home_defense_shotgun_ammo.htm
Back to top Go down

home defence shot gun
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: