HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
 

 home defence shot gun

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
tech2576

tech2576

Age : 63
Location : North end of GA
Registration date : 2012-01-19

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 pm

puros_bran wrote:
I'll say it again, and change the wording so it's easier to understand.

Combat For Dummies:
#1 always be ready to go boom boom. Mr Badguy is ready.
#2 always be ready to go boom boom. Mr Badguy is ready.
#3 always be ready to go boom boom. Mr Badguy is ready.

Once the intruder is in your home I do not believe you have a moral or logical reason to offer deterrence. Ready weapon, stay stealthy and stay low, locate and identify intruder, aim weapon center mass, fire. It really is that simple.

Giving up tactical advantage by readying your weapon after locating the intruder will more likely result in your an your family's injury or death. Do you not think Mr Badguy readied his weapon before entering? You are very likely to catch a face worth of metal while racking that weapon.

Notice: This may not apply under law in all states.
Absolutly the bad guy is is ready to rock! Some states give more leeway than others as to if and when you can shoot.
Check local law, or, shoot, and call your lawyer. Mine is on speed dial # 5, And yes I know him personally.


My personal belief; protect yourself and yours' - worry about the aftermath later.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 pm

So you've whacked the intruder, the next step is dealing with justification. I read an article a few years ago laying it out it in a realistic manner. Specifics were not offered due to the vast differences in each state. What was covered was the fact that you had better know exactly your states stance regarding this situation and be prepared to justify your actions. The site below offers some insight state by state for handguns,,click on your state and scroll down to "deadly force laws" you'll have a list of specific articles covering defense to research, copy, and file.
While I can't verify accuracy of the information, I will say it's a good source to start from.


http://www.handgunlaw.us/

_________________
.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 12:16 am

While I can't say it's a terribly good ideal. A good ideal would be to do like the cops and have a burn gun.
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

Age : 60
Location : Huntsville Alabama
Registration date : 2011-02-26

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 10:53 am

I was having trouble with some one some years ago. This was before Alabama had a self defence law. But any way after several times having the police at the house after the problem was over. I told one officer that I was tired of this and was going to just shoot him next time because they were doing nothing. The officer told me to shoot him dead if I did, dead men dont talk, make sure he was in the house, after that put a round in the door jamb to call it a warning shot. To make a long story short. A man enters your house with intent to harm you or your family, you fire a warning shot, and he keeps coming. you kill him. No jury in Alabama will pursecute you. Good thing is the guy got the idea of going away and leaving us alone after his last ass wooping. I was glad , dont want to shoot any one if I can help it. The woopings happened in the yard never got in the house. It was my son n law that was beating my daughter. she would come to the house for protection.
Back to top Go down
Ol'Dawg

Ol'Dawg

Age : 74
Location : Northeast Georgia
Registration date : 2008-01-03

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 2:31 pm

My 60 lb. watch dog has always done the trick with scaring unwanted folks (and sometimes wanted) away from the house. It seems a loud bark is more of a deterrent than the possibility of a gun being present. Though I do have a .45 auto and Benelli M1 as backup just in case.

Jim
Back to top Go down
tech2576

tech2576

Age : 63
Location : North end of GA
Registration date : 2012-01-19

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:16 pm

plumbernater wrote:
I was having trouble with some one some years ago. This was before Alabama had a self defence law. But any way after several times having the police at the house after the problem was over. I told one officer that I was tired of this and was going to just shoot him next time because they were doing nothing. The officer told me to shoot him dead if I did, dead men dont talk, make sure he was in the house, after that put a round in the door jamb to call it a warning shot. To make a long story short. A man enters your house with intent to harm you or your family, you fire a warning shot, and he keeps coming. you kill him. No jury in Alabama will pursecute you. Good thing is the guy got the idea of going away and leaving us alone after his last ass wooping. I was glad , dont want to shoot any one if I can help it. The woopings happened in the yard never got in the house. It was my son n law that was beating my daughter. she would come to the house for protection.

I know this advice came from an LEO but I have to disagree.
Warning shots are movie B.S.
If someone is coming in my home unannounced and uninvited, he ain't sellin' girl scout cookies. He means me and mine harm. When my gun comes out I fully intend to end the threat here and now.

YMMV

Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
Josjor

Josjor

Registration date : 2011-07-27

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 8:56 am

tech2576 wrote:
plumbernater wrote:
I was having trouble with some one some years ago. This was before Alabama had a self defence law. But any way after several times having the police at the house after the problem was over. I told one officer that I was tired of this and was going to just shoot him next time because they were doing nothing. The officer told me to shoot him dead if I did, dead men dont talk, make sure he was in the house, after that put a round in the door jamb to call it a warning shot. To make a long story short. A man enters your house with intent to harm you or your family, you fire a warning shot, and he keeps coming. you kill him. No jury in Alabama will pursecute you. Good thing is the guy got the idea of going away and leaving us alone after his last ass wooping. I was glad , dont want to shoot any one if I can help it. The woopings happened in the yard never got in the house. It was my son n law that was beating my daughter. she would come to the house for protection.

I know this advice came from an LEO but I have to disagree.
Warning shots are movie B.S.
If someone is coming in my home unannounced and uninvited, he ain't sellin' girl scout cookies. He means me and mine harm. When my gun comes out I fully intend to end the threat here and now.

YMMV

Just sayin'.

I think you misread the post. Relevant part has been "bolded." In short, eliminate the threat (shoot the bad guy), then fire a shot in the door jam so you can later claim that you fired a warning shot.
Back to top Go down
LIPIPE

LIPIPE

Age : 72
Location : Bolton Landing/Lake George NY & Sarasota FL
Registration date : 2010-12-18

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 9:10 am

What's the difference between a warning shot and a missed shot other than an unnecessarily damaged door? Warning shots are dangerous. Preferred method per police training is two to center mass followed by one to the head. If your life or that of someone in your presence is not in imminent danger of deadly physical force, or if retreat and cover is possible a gun should not be used.
Back to top Go down
Josjor

Josjor

Registration date : 2011-07-27

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 10:21 am

Is nobody actually reading these days?!?

The proposed "warning shot" that has become so controversial is post-facto. It's actually an after shot done when the perpetrator is already dead on the floor and done to help your defense in court, not defense in your home. It's a shot done after the important deed so that you can say "I gave him warning but he kept coming."

I'm not necessarily condoning this, BTW. You would have to lie in court after taking an oath that ends in "so help me God." and that's not something to trifle about, at least to me.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 1:36 pm

I read what was said. But.

When this goes to court, maybe maybe not criminal.. But Guaranteed a 'wrongful death' civil case. You are going to have to prove you are qualified to use your weapon. A 'warning shot' before or after is goon to be used as proof and not for good. You will be at best painted as 'missing and therefore having reckless disregard for the safety of others... But more likely it will be claimed that the warning shot proved you drew a weapon and fired it at the guy before deadly force was warranted. "Bill erroniously thought he was at his pastors mothers house to check on her. He wrote the address down wrong is all. When the door was locked and no one answered he found that open window to climb through, she has cancer you know. . In his mind you were a intruder in her home firing a weapon, he charged to protect her . Had you just talked to him instead of playing vigilante and gunnin him down you would have known this. Murderer."
It's almost funny except for the fact that stuff like that happens all the time. And worse is won all the time.

Dead guys don't tell tales, dead guys family lawyers do though.
Use your head, train, be ready.

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 1:56 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Use your head, train, be ready.

It's all you can do. I usually say this: People's assessments/opinions of any given situation isn't typically a problem, it's the conclusion and action they take that becomes problematic.

Know your neighbors, be familiar with your surroundings and know when something is truly wrong without putting yourself in harms way--before or after the incident.

Awareness is essential to all things.
Back to top Go down
SPUD 15

SPUD 15

Age : 73
Location : Winter Springs Florida
Registration date : 2011-09-07

home defence shot gun - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home defence shot gun   home defence shot gun - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
Use your head, train, be ready.

It's all you can do. I usually say this: People's assessments/opinions of any given situation isn't typically a problem, it's the conclusion and action they take that becomes problematic.

Know your neighbors, be familiar with your surroundings and know when something is truly wrong without putting yourself in harms way--before or after the incident.

Awareness is essential to all things.

RIGHT ON KYLE
Back to top Go down
 
home defence shot gun
Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: