The pipe in question.
I picked this up at the local B&M when I decided to give pipe smoking a try again since I only had one pipe at the time.
I liked the look and feel but, smoked wet, gurgled, looked like a swamp at the bottom of the bowl after wards.
I hated to see it's turn to be smoked roll around because I just couldn't enjoy smoking it.
I was nbrowseing another pipe forum last night (sorry guys!) and ran across a post about fixing a wet smoking pipe, with a post by a fellow who also frequents this forum. More on that later.
So someone suggested pulling the stem out of the pipe a little to see if it helped. I thought, what have I got to lose.
So as you can see I left it out a little, that is the edge of a penny so you get an idea how far.
The thing smoked much better. A couple almost gurgles and smoked to the bottom dry!
Some suggestions on how to fix it if this helped were also included in that post so I pulled the puppy apart to have a look.
The hole in the shank was very high on the stem end.
I debated getteing the drill out but thought I would try something easier to begin with.
So I turned my attention to the stem.
5 minutes of sand paper work and.....
Loaded it up some rather wet aro I have around for Mrs. techs sake, packed it tighter that I thought I should and fired it up.
Smoked way faster than I should. The bowl always got fairly hot right at the level of the ember and you could tell how far it had burned by the heat. Smoking as fast as I dared the bowl stayed cool! Dry cool smoke all the way to the bottom!
This one is now a joy to smoke and I can't wait to get back to it.
I said all that to say this.
Thank you Sasquatch for shareing your knowledge with others.
And guys, if Sas tells you something about how a pipe works, believe it, the man knows what he is talking about.