My First Pipe: Completed

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

My First Pipe: Completed Empty
PostSubject: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Pipe's done. Very Happy

My First Pipe: Completed Big_fr10
My First Pipe: Completed Big_fr11
My First Pipe: Completed Big_fr12
My First Pipe: Completed Big_fr13
My First Pipe: Completed Big_fr15
My First Pipe: Completed Big_fr14
My First Pipe: Completed Big_fr18
My First Pipe: Completed Big_fr16
My First Pipe: Completed Big_fr17

I have a love/hate relationship with that last picture. It makes the gap look like the grand canyon!

Thanks again to everyone who's followed and commented on the "My First Pipe" thread. It's been amazing to see such an outpouring of support from everybody. Your encouraging words really mean a great deal to me. Very Happy

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
RonA3597

RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:45 pm

That is a gorgeous pipe! Congratulations! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:08 pm

First, that's one PHENOMENAL looking piece of briar and you have done a FANTASTIC job of finding ITs shape and exicuting !! You keep this up and you will be a much wanted man for your talents Razz
Back to top Go down
flytyer

flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:09 pm

That turned out great. It was cool seeing your progress , and the final outcome. I looked foreward to you updatd posts, so now I have to ask when will the second pipe get started?
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:13 pm

flytyer wrote:
That turned out great. It was cool seeing your progress , and the final outcome. I looked foreward to you updatd posts, so now I have to ask when will the second pipe get started?

First, thanks guys!

I've already started working on #2. It's going into a pipe in the hat trade on PipeMakersForum.com so I hope it turns out well.

It's pretty amazing how much you learn when you make one of these guys. The process on #2 is going much faster since I spent so much time figuring things out on #1.

I look forward to finishing up #2 and sharing it here. What an exciting new adventure! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:28 pm

You even stamped it? Now that's serious!

It looks amazing, sir. Cool
Back to top Go down
szyzk

szyzk

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:51 pm

The coloring is gorgeous! The reds, blondes and blacks play so well off each other. Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
PipeLeisure

PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:55 pm

Wow that gorgeous, I love how the grain follows the shape of that pipe to a tee...nice eye my friend.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 pm

That would be a great 100th pipe, but for a first pipe--fantastic! I love the shape and the grain, and, and....yeah, great pipe.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 12:21 am

Very, very impressive. Excellent shape, stem is perfect for the strummel...JUST the right feel. And yes, the dye job is worthy of a professional. It looks like you took your time and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, lol.

Two color? Three color?

edit: OK - I just went through the 'making it' thread. So...at least two colors. Damn fine!

My First Pipe: Completed D6bddf10My First Pipe: Completed 29400910My First Pipe: Completed 114e6110My First Pipe: Completed Ddb39b10My First Pipe: Completed Cf77ce10My First Pipe: Completed Dd692012My First Pipe: Completed Cowboy13

Last edited by Blackhorse on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 12:37 am

Looks pretty good to this pipe smoker, looking forward to seeing #2. I envy that kind of artistic talent.
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 12:55 am

Awesome!
You really nailed the orientation of the grain, big time!
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:12 am

Wow, a straight grain on the first go!

Great work! cheers
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 2:26 am

Wow. Thanks everyone! The response to this pipe has been nothing short of overwhelming.
Back to top Go down
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 3:06 am

Looks great! Some serious straight grain! A wonderful first foray into pipe making cheers
Back to top Go down
Boxerbuddy

Boxerbuddy

Registration date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:28 am

Dude...I am impressed. What a great job. I'm sure that there's alot of pipemakers out there who's 1st attempts did not look that good. The transition from bowl to shank is what I notice alot of novices have trouble with....it appears that you had no such problem.

Lol and I'm sure theres some pipemakers that would have loved to get their hands on that piece of briar too. Did you say that was a Tinsky block? I have a pipe on commision from him right now....I'm gonna have to have him send me a kit or a block.
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 6:01 am

Very impressive piece of craftsmanship, especially so for your first pipe. I think you have found something you are naturally skilled at, and should pursue with vigor! Cool
Back to top Go down
ArchaggelosPipes

ArchaggelosPipes

Registration date : 2011-09-30

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 6:45 am

It turned out into not only a really great first pipe, but a really great pipe.

Thank you for sharing all these photos and thoughts, it was relly good to see your updates.

Now, keep making pipes, don't stop... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mozjo33

Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 8:44 am

Fantastic ending to your first venture Dave. I absolutely love the shape, color and grain. It reminds me of the old "tiger" camoflouge the military once used in the 60's and 70's. I can't wait to hear how it smokes. I look forward to following your second pipe. The stamping is a nice touch too! Well done!
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 9:41 am

Last edited by Simple Man on Wed May 02, 2012 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
itsKot

itsKot

Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:34 pm

That is one killer pipe, awesome work! Can't wait to hear how she smokes and to see what pipes are gonna come from some of those other blocks you bought! I absolutely love the graining and stain on it, it really completes the Danish flare in my eyes at least. All in all a beautiful, functional work of art, and on your first go even!
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:41 pm

I actually got this wood from Pipe Maker's Emporium. They had a sale on Tassili Mini blocks two summers ago and I bought 6. ALL OF THEM SEEM TO LOOK THIS GOOD. No joke, I won the freaking lottery here.

So this was #1, I've started #2, ruined the first #1 (Sad), mailed a block to Kyle which got lost and we are now trying to track down, leaving me two of these stunning blocks left. I've got a small order of much cheaper briar on its way to me, so I may knock that stock out making some pipes and save the transcendent wood for after I'm able to refine some of the technical aspects further.

No matter what I do, I'll post 'em here! Very Happy
I'm going to show this to some folks at the CPCC meeting this weekend and then it's getting lit up! I'll report back on my findings. study

Thanks again everyone!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Wait, the block you sent was from the batch from which you made THAT pipe? Oh good god I hope we can recover it!

As it turns out, I think Todd is sending me some spade bits he's creating for me to drill my own chambers--yeah yeah, I know my emotional diatribe about pipe carving notwithstanding, I'm a stubborn bastard and one day I'll have a shop where I can make a masterpiece like the Uber Pipecarving Wonder here... Razz lol! Cool

(...probably not, he's waaaaaaaaay more patient than I am... 85 hours... sheesh!) Very Happy

Back to top Go down
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:54 pm

That grain is RIDICULOUS! One hell of a pipe, especially for a first go-around.

Back to top Go down
R.A.

R.A.

Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 2:43 am

Indeed very nice grain, And being your first pipe you are off to a fantastic beginning. There is sure a lot of talent here on the boards, fine craftsmanship.

Just a thought what if one day one or several of these emerging pipe artist were to carve some BoB exclusive pipes? Kinda like commemorative pipes marking some year milestone of the founding of the boards or dedicated to some member or cause (stamped BoB and any other relative info)

Or Even Pipes of exclusive nature made by BoBer's for BoBer's.That would make for a really nice keep sake. to covent and pass along. Like 10-20 years from now one could reminisce and share pics "hey look I got this BoB pipe back in 2012 way before cars could fly Razz

Or even Hey I got this pipe way back when tobacco was legal and the great grand kids say "Tobacco what the hell is that??"
Funny yet unsettling thought eh? bounce

Nice pipe work it inspired thought. study
Back to top Go down

My First Pipe: Completed
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: