Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! Empty
PostSubject: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Well a couple of buds and I are going to go on a 6 day backpacking trip. (It's actually a 3 day trip, but we're looping twice, just for the hell of it). I plan to take a cob or two. My question is; what tobacco is perfect (In your oppinion of course) for a long hike, and a camp set up? It must compliment fresh caught brown trout cooked up in a little oil on a cast iron skillet, purified river water, home made jerky, and it's gotta blend with the smell of a campfire. I honestly don't have any blends that scream, "THE OUTDOORS" to me, so I was hoping you guys had some suggestions. I want to pick up a couple of tins before I go. It's gotta be good for the morning, and great for the night. Alright, line up the suggestions.
Zach
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 11:45 pm

Why only one? You're backpacking, so you're likely emptying the tins into baggies for weight and bulk reduction. Why not take a bit of each of your favorites and experiment. If I had to narrow it down to just one for that sort of trip, I'm thinking something generous in the lat department, maybe with some cigar leaf. Key Largo or Billy Bud would both fit that category.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 am

Prince Albert. I don't know why, but smoking around a campfire screws up my taste buds. Cigars become rather sickening, for example. PA in a cob would work as well as any--and I happen to like it anyhow.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 11:38 am

I'm still wondering why you cook your fish you catch... Twisted Evil

...this is a hard question to answer, in all honesty. You should take a tobacco you're familiar with--it'd be pretty unfortunate to take along stuff you might not like.
Back to top Go down
Mordechaj

Registration date : 2011-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:30 pm

Get some MacBaren's NavyFlake and try it before the trip.
That'd be my go-to choice for a hike.

That or the Peterson's Perfect Plug (3P), but I'd pre-cut it into flakes.

They went very well with the fresh and open air, and they won't mind the camp fire aroma.
Back to top Go down
Ol'Dawg

Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 am

One of my favorites for smoking on a hike/hunt/fishing trip is Stokkebye's cube cut burley. It does have a bit of VA in in and has an faint apple aroma/taste to it. Being cube cut, it's pretty much immune to being blown out of the bowl except by very high winds.

Jim
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 am

You see, I plan to take more than one blend because it's a SIX day trip. I just want to gear from different perspectives, a tobacco that is great for hiking... And I'm not sure I understand the whole "Cook your fish you catch" deal mate... sorry. And that cube tobacco sounds very interesting. I may have to look into it...
Zach
Back to top Go down
Stinger4me

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 am

I would opt for some Uhle 255, an English blend and an aromatic. Tried the Uhle blend last year and it is becoming a favorite. The Navy Flake and English blends will provide some variety. Just my $.02!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:05 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
And I'm not sure I understand the whole "Cook your fish you catch" deal mate... sorry.

Just ignore me, and eventually I'll go away.

Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! Gollum3

Mountain lakes provide excellent sashimi. Cool

Back to top Go down
Boxerbuddy

Boxerbuddy

Registration date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 3:43 pm

To me a great hiking/camping tobacco is one that is low maintenence...no preparing/rubbing out and such...along with tasting great. The most low maintainence tobacco I have is Storm Front...its two cube cut burlys with cigar leaf...awesome smoke as many here will attest to. take a heavy duty ziploc, fill it up. All you got to do is dip your pipein, scoop it up and pack it...it comes at the perfect moisture level...no drying required.
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 7:59 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
GuitarMyFriend wrote:
And I'm not sure I understand the whole "Cook your fish you catch" deal mate... sorry.

Just ignore me, and eventually I'll go away.

Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! Gollum3

Mountain lakes provide excellent sashimi. Cool

I don't plan on ignoring anyone. I'm looking for advice from one and all. I don't pretend to know it all, so I look to someone who knows more than I. As much as I love the idea of raw trout, I'm going to happily put it over a fire... thanks though. (No mountains in Michigan pal...)
Zach
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 pm

For a morning smoke you should bring some Burley, and for an afternoon smoke you should bring some more Burley, and later into the evening while the campfire is flickering into the evening hours you should load up some Burley. LOL
I'm just an old Dodger and having spent many days and nights in the wilds of Canada and upstate Maine, there's nothing that soothes my soul like a good Burley. Peretti's, Wessex, McClelland's X-40, Uhle's, they all do it for me.

As for cooking your fish, your damn right!!!! I don't care how clean that water is, the moose, beaver, and wildlife still crap in it, and giardia (sp?) can ruin your trip and send you to the hospital in short notice. And forget the oil, pack some BUTTER to float that trout frying in the pan!!!! Just my .02 cents worth, or is it .05??? lol!
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Sashimi???,,,ain't that one uh them new jappenknees cow sock motorcykles ???

bacon grease fried trout,,,gotta take bacon anyway,,,

You've got six days,,take every tobacco you can get your hands on and try em all,,,

(stormfront)

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 11:22 pm

mark wrote:
Sashimi???,,,ain't that one uh them new jappenknees cow sock motorcykles ???

Sounds about right.

I love Storm Front because it really is no-nonsense, and begs for a cob, which cobs in turn, beg to be outdoors. Patton's Quad VA also is a hearty outdoor companion for a change-up.

Regarding the raw fish deal, yeah I do it. Maybe not Smeagol-style, but the likelyhood of getting sick is pretty low. Or I'm lucky enough not to live in the festering watersheds the rest of y'all do. Don't drink the water as-is, but eating the fish is fine.

Also, bacon grease fixes everything when thrown into a pan of anything. Cool
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 12:54 am

We wanna pack it through there. Would someone explain Burley to me? We don't have enough room for a chest of ice for butter or bacon. So I figured a little oil, maybe even bacon grease, some salt, some pepper, possibly lemon pepper, (Always good on fish), and enjoy a decent meal. We do plan to bring those prepackaged meals... If it were me, we'd set up snares, but seeing as the other guys don't wanna eat a Peter Cottontail, we'll have to enjoy dehydrated horse dung. I plan to fish for my dinners, I'll try my luck on that spaceman food for breakfast, and I plan to bring a hefty amount of homemade jerkey, possibly a bit of summer sausage. I always love stringing my pack up. But could someone explain Burley to me, is it a whole different type of tobacco. I'm going to bring more than one, I just want to hear peoples personal opinions about the perfect backpacking tobacco.
Zach
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 am

My quick, personal definition:

Burley is a flavor-subtle, somewhat alkali and moderately-nicotine-content leaf used often in aromatics for its ability to soak up flavors, and as a component in many blends that helps "even out" certain mixes that might be otherwise overwhelming (such as those with Perique or Latakia). There aren't too many straight Burley mixes, but they do exist. One I particularly like is "Nut Brown Burley" which comes in bulk from Pipeworks & Wilke in the skinny state of Vermont.
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 4:28 am

Looks like you're getting plenty of good advice here, brother. I've recently been returning to burlys myself, and support that suggestion. While some can seem a bit bland at first to a new smoker, it has a subtle nuttiness that comes alive in fresh air. Also, it may be the perfect compliment to a cob pipe, which brings up another point:
As you and I both know, Michigan nights can be awfully humid. (At least for the 8 months of the year when the air isn't frozen solid) This can be hell on a cob. I've accidentally left a few out overnight before and found them visibly swollen the next morning. Though I wouldn't normally advise sealing any pipe in a baggie, you may have little choice at night. I'm just talking off the top of head here, but I'd say bag them up when you go to sleep, then secure the ones you're not smoking to the outside of your pack in the morning, to air out as you hike. This should work if you alternate pipes each day. Perhaps some of the other brothers have experience with this.
Also, keep in mind that you may very well convert some of your buds to pipe smoking during this trip, so bring extra tobacco. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scottbtdmb

scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 4:22 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
We wanna pack it through there. Would someone explain Burley to me? We don't have enough room for a chest of ice for butter or bacon. So I figured a little oil, maybe even bacon grease, some salt, some pepper, possibly lemon pepper, (Always good on fish), and enjoy a decent meal. We do plan to bring those prepackaged meals... If it were me, we'd set up snares, but seeing as the other guys don't wanna eat a Peter Cottontail, we'll have to enjoy dehydrated horse dung. I plan to fish for my dinners, I'll try my luck on that spaceman food for breakfast, and I plan to bring a hefty amount of homemade jerkey, possibly a bit of summer sausage. I always love stringing my pack up. But could someone explain Burley to me, is it a whole different type of tobacco. I'm going to bring more than one, I just want to hear peoples personal opinions about the perfect backpacking tobacco.
Zach

Zach,

As an avid camper/outdoors enthusiast, here's my advice for you. First of all, definitely give the Burley a shot because it is a great outdoors smoke in my opinion. Basically, Burley is primarily an air cured tobacco that tends to have a very rich, nutty taste. Most of your Burleys out there are at least lightly topped, but this is usually necessary to bring out the flavor or add sweetness, since Burley's generally do not have a high sugar content. I would recommend Solani Aged Burley Flake personally, but if you research them a little more, I am sure you can compile a nice little list of Burleys to try. As far as what to smoke while hiking, Burley fits the bill IMO because you certainly don't want a complex smoke that you would have to concentrate on it. When you are hiking, you will be too busy enjoying the scenery, trekking the terrain, and navigating to really want to focus on how a blend is changing throughout the bowl. Burleys tend to be a very straightforward, flavorful smoke that is very enjoyable, but simple at the same time.

Through my experience with hiking and camping, allow me to offer you some more tips with pipe gear and accessories. I tend to pack a pipe zippo lighter and matches because if it gets windy, your zippo will be your best bet, and if your fuel runs out during the 6 day trip, you can always fall back on some good old wood matches. I would recommend bringing a nice pipe case to put in your backpack and be sure to bring accessories like a tamper, pipe cleaners, flints, wind caps, and a polishing cloth. With regards to pipes, from my experience, you can't go wrong bringing rusticated/sandblasted pipes with lucite stems. With straight grain pipes, you have to worry about them jostling around in the bag and getting scratched when hiking, so I am not sure what your collection is like at this point, but that is what I recommend. Also, the lucite stems won't oxidize if you are out in the sun all day, while the vulcanites can oxidize quite rapidly when out in the sun all day. Finally, for your tobacco, I would recommend either transferring your tins to ziplock bags or leather pipe pouches. I always bring the pouches and label them (usually bring 5 or 6 for different blends that I am bringing). Either way, pouches or baggies will take up less space than mason jars and tins and obviously, when you are backpacking, consolidation is the key! Hope this helps you out and while I am not an expert, this is what has worked for me!

Enjoy,
Scott
Back to top Go down
friar_jay

friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
we'll have to enjoy dehydrated horse dung.

I couldn't help but laugh at that...thanks Zach. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/13483
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:39 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Prince Albert. I don't know why, but smoking around a campfire screws up my taste buds. Cigars become rather sickening, for example. PA in a cob would work as well as any--and I happen to like it anyhow.
+1 on a Burley blend. I think almost ANY blend would work sitting around cooking trout over a skillet/campfire! Enjoy your trip, take some pix.
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:14 am

Ha Ha.. Riff Raff,
I went on my trip in May. This was a LONG time ago...
Zach
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Yikes, holy old threads!
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:04 pm

There's been a bit of that going on.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Yes, zombie threads are at times confusing and scary. At least it shows us the newest members are finding their way around decently... Laughing
Back to top Go down
friar_jay

friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!   Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Looks like I resurrected this thread...sorry about that guys.
Back to top Go down
https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/13483

Pipes... and the OUTDOORS?!?!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: