Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-22

Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action Empty
PostSubject: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Anyone have one? Anyone know anything about 'em? I'm thinking about getting the .45. If I can find a better price than Cheaperthandirt.com
Zach
Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action 2-brzr10
Back to top Go down
Thistleoak

Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm telling you brother, I absolutely love my Winchester model 94, and I think I may have an ol loop lever in the gun safe. I have taken many a buck with it. it has a very attainable cost and is extremely reliable, my normal shot distance with it while hunting is 50 to 75 yrds and if your hunting the scrub it will bulldog through anything you need it to. The next day we have off together we will head to the range and I will let you try her out, I bet 5 bucks you will fall in love.
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:42 pm

Ranch gun Brother, considered a handgun. Tiny barrel, tiny stock. Hip shooter.
Zach
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:08 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
Anyone have one?

Lucas McCain? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Don't you have to be 21 to buy a handgun? scratch

That's a fine lever action. Is it .45 "long Colt" (aka ".45 Colt") cowboy rounds? I've been looking for a good truck rifle to handle my Taurus Judge ammo so I don't have to monkey around with carrying different calibers.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Greyson

Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:45 pm

I don't know that particular model, but I carried a Winchester carbine on my cousins ranch in the Australian outback, it came in very handy once or twice. I love the Winchester action and the one I had was incredibly accurate. I much prefer them to shotguns or bigger bore hunting rifles.
Back to top Go down
Thistleoak

Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Amen Greyson...... A-Freakin-Men.

I grew up with winchester, the model 94 is the firearm that tamed the west in my humble opinion!
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Yeah, except it was already tame by the time the 94 came out.
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:08 pm

With millions of the model 94 sold it has to be the most popular lever gun ever produced. Just be careful because buying guns can severely hamper your pipe and tobacco PAD.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:19 pm

21 to buy a hand gun... not to own. And Alex, I've shot a winchester .30-30 many a time, and I owe you 5 because I DO love it.
Back to top Go down
SPUD 15

SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:43 pm

I've got a 92 saddle ring carbine in 44-40 that I use to use for deer in my younger days. It was manufactured in 1898 and will group 3" at 100 yds. MIKE I have a nail driver Remington 600 mohawk in308. it has a 16" barrel great brush gun.
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Its not a rossi but I like 45s too. Look on your local ARMSLIST.COM and see what pops up. Some time you get lucky, some time you have to have patents.

Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action IMG174
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 11:08 pm

Mr. Plumbernater, can I please just stop by your house and have a pipe and a good long conversation? I'm hoping you got some decent tea, and a firing range near by...
Zach
Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator
Mikem

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Don't have one but it is the next one on my list. Have Marlin's, a Winchester Model 94 Trapper and a Uberti 1873 with the octogan barrel, all 45LC and all fine shooters IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Mikem wrote:
Don't have one but it is the next one on my list. Have Marlin's, a Winchester Model 94 Trapper and a Uberti 1873 with the octogan barrel, all 45LC and all fine shooters IMHO.

Which one is your favorite 45LC lever action rifle? One day, I want to get one. I know next to nothing about them, and haven't shot any lever-actions in 45LC--they've all been .357. I'd prefer a stout carbine, just as a truck rifle.

Cool
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:21 pm

The 45 long colt is a good round. If you get into reloading you can load from mild like the cow boy loads, to stout like a hunting load. The lever actions are strong , espesially the marlins. The marlin 1894s have a short action that is sweet to work, and a 45 in the hunting loads pack a pretty good thump. I had a marlin 1894 in 44 mag that is a nice rifle. you can shoot 44 specials and the magnums. Gave it to my dad for coyotes.

Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action Photo-0060
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:24 pm

This is my newest toy . The 1895 45-70. I like marlin lever actions. Oh yeh the only tea I have is ice tea. Plenty of talk, and I have to join a range. Dont get to shoot much these days.

Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action IMG260
Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action IMG267
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Oh my that's beautiful. I like iced tea plenty. So I'll be over.
You can shoot both magnum and special in it? Doesn't the length of the round affect anything?
Zach
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Marlins seem to be popular. I picked this up in the spring. 45/70, Lots of power in a compact package.

[img]Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action Marlin11[/img]

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Gorgeous rifles, guys. One day I'll have a sweet lever-action in the bunch. Sadly, I probably have to sell a bunch of boomsticks to cover medical bills. Neutral A man can dream, though. Cool Guns just make me feel good about the world. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator
Mikem

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Mikem wrote:

Which one is your favorite 45LC lever action rifle? One day, I want to get one. I know next to nothing about them, and haven't shot any lever-actions in 45LC--they've all been .357. I'd prefer a stout carbine, just as a truck rifle.

Cool
For nostalgia you can't beat the Uberti 1873 with the octagon barrel. It is basically a replica of the old Winchester 1873 (top eject). It is a very well made firearm. The downside is that now they are going for around $1200. The receiver is case hardened and it has very nice furniture with a very smooth action. For an all around shooter/hunting rifle I prefer the Marlins. Smooth action and I like the side eject. Mine is an older model and I have heard rumors to the affect that their quality control has gone down somewhat. Again, just rumors I've heard. The one that is a nice shooter but kind of sounds like a John Deere tractor when cycling is the older Winchester Trapper. for awhile Winchester quit manufacturing the lever actions. I've heard that they have started manufacturing them again (by Maruko in Japan) but I haven't seen any personally. For a "Truck Rifle" my choice would be the Marlin, both because of cost and for durability. I'm sure others probably have a different favorite. I am still interested in getting the Rossi as it reminds me of the old Mare's Leg. I think that Henry also produces one now.

IMHO the recoil of the 45LC in a rifle is very managable. It has less of a "sharp" snap that the 357 has in the same rifle. The 45LC is more of a slow push. Remember the velocity is a lot slower and you are pushing a 255 grain bullet. I have heard that the 357 Marlin is a heck of a hunting rifle because of the increase in speed and ballistics coming out of that longer barrel.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks Mike, interesting thoughts. I'd have a hard time throwin' around a $1200 rifle in and out of my truck, and as you said, the Marlin might be the best way to go. I'll keep an eye out for an older one (I prefer a good, old rifle with personality, anyway, dollar-for-dollar, too...) and maybe even in .357. 45LC is fine, but it's also an expensive round, and I don't reload. Looks like I'll have to see about a .357 wheelgun as a sidearm and get a Marlin .357 instead. Darn, more hardware? What a shame. Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action 710492

PS, I save all of my 45LC brass for any of you that reload, in case that interests anybody.

Thanks again.

Cool
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 4:10 pm

The marlin rifles were taken over by remington in 2009, Their quality is hit and miss since. The good ones were made before the change in owners. Look for the JM stamp on the barrel in front of the receiver. That will tell you its a true marlin, and not a remington made marlin.
Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action IMG292
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Didn't Sturm & Ruger go corporate or something, too? I've heard some people who've been concerned about them going down the tubes, too. Neutral
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action   Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:07 pm

I think its called the fredom group or some thing like that . who is buying all the gun companies up. They are still retaining the names but owned and run buy the fredom group. Scary isnt it when one high arcy is in control.
Back to top Go down

Rossi Ranch Hand Lever Action
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: