HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Blackhorse Be Famous!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Blackhorse Be Famous! Empty
PostSubject: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 10:50 pm

It's not often one makes it...being able to bask in the company of fellow wizards, etc. But Greg Pease chose to honor me with a mention in his most recent column...Ask GLP (or whatever it's called). lol

Here's a link to the section - scroll down to the photo of the knife, which accompanies his answer to my scholarly question dealing with the genesis and history of fellow bigwig, 'Ask Dr. Science'. Well, we all have our little areas of interest.

PS: The knife is one I made and is owned by Greg.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/ask-g-l-pease/ask-g-l-pease-september-2012-volume-17/#more-6193

(very kind of him to recognize me in that way)

Blackhorse Be Famous! D6bddf10Blackhorse Be Famous! 29400910Blackhorse Be Famous! 114e6110Blackhorse Be Famous! Ddb39b10Blackhorse Be Famous! Cf77ce10Blackhorse Be Famous! Dd692012Blackhorse Be Famous! Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 10:57 pm

Cool! Very Happy I read the article on my Kindle last night at work, but it didn't have the picture of the knife you made. Good work, Blackhorse. I wish I could find a hobby/craft that I could enjoy doing and do it as well as you do. Congrats! cheers
Back to top Go down
Steveaux

Steveaux

Registration date : 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 11:06 pm

A fine knife. I'm really impressed with your work.

How cool is it when the name you drop ... is your own?
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:03 am

Oh, it's just Greg. Pffff. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:13 am

I like how he avoided your question with the humor, grace poise of a ballerina ninja circus acrobat. Laughing

Sweet blade, by the way...looks like a perfect plug cutter!

Cool
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:23 am

Yeah, it was designed as a plug cutter. A FANCY one.

Blackhorse Be Famous! D6bddf10Blackhorse Be Famous! 29400910Blackhorse Be Famous! 114e6110Blackhorse Be Famous! Ddb39b10Blackhorse Be Famous! Cf77ce10Blackhorse Be Famous! Dd692012Blackhorse Be Famous! Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:30 am

My "Lesath Toothpick" bowie is downright dangerous cutting plug...even the plug whimpers when that thing is unleashed. Laughing

That there design you made for Greg is a hot little number--and I ain't much a knife guy (except cooking knives, not that I can afford them...)
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 1:04 am

The blade is from Lesath...the rest is mine.

Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 4:24 am

I really like damascus blades, and the sheath is very cool as well. As usual, very nice craftsmanship Blackhorse! cheers
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 7:08 am

Awesome brother, congrats. Awesome that he featured your knife, and man is it a beaut.
Back to top Go down
williamcharles

williamcharles

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 am

Very nice puuko. Doesn't look like much out there could be handier. Great work!
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 8:51 am

She certainly is a beauty. Lucky GLP!

Blackhorse Be Famous! DamascusPuukko2-725
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Just to let all you characters know (and many thanks for the kind words, all) that silly thing took me over two months to complete. Of course, if I knew what I was doing it might have been two days. But I'd do one step and then sit there and look at it for a while and have to put it down til I figured out what I was going to do next and how. That's how I ended up taking look enough so that I figured out how to make the patterns in the damascus butt and guard work with where they were placed...and to find the photos online that clued me into making the handle and scabbard from one piece of Maple Burl (plus a variety of other materials as well).

The problem that I was most plagued by most was securing the knife in the scabbard, eventually solved by using the leather thong...the bead snugs down to hold it in place after it's been looped over the scabbard. Works well. I learned though. The next one I did (which I still have in hand) I knew in advance to make it so that the blade gained tension as it was inserted into the scabbard and is held firmly that way.

But just for fun...here are some added shots of the piece, since you've all been so kind...showing the scabbard a little better, and then the pieces of damascus and all.

Blackhorse Be Famous! 002-1

Blackhorse Be Famous! 036

Blackhorse Be Famous! 031

Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 5:51 pm

The sheath makes it the complete package BH. The blade is sexy, but the wood sheath is just cool.
Back to top Go down
Wet Dottle

Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Nice knife.
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Oooh, what a fancy puukko! cheers Now I feel totally ashamed about being unpatriotic enought to cut my plugs with cheap Swedish-style mora.
Back to top Go down
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorse Be Famous!   Blackhorse Be Famous! EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 1:25 am

That is a fine fine knife!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel

Blackhorse Be Famous!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: