HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pipe Rack advice needed

Go down 
AuthorMessage
frogjunk

frogjunk

Registration date : 2011-11-07

Pipe Rack advice needed Empty
PostSubject: Pipe Rack advice needed   Pipe Rack advice needed EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 1:52 pm

I'll be building a pipe rack and a pipe cabinet soon. I have a router, drill press etc., but am not sire how to do those scallops on the bottom where the pipe bowls rest. Can anybody tell me what to use, and how to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Doug
Back to top Go down
IndySmoker

Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Rack advice needed   Pipe Rack advice needed EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 7:02 pm

I just roughed out my second pipe rack I didn't even try to do the divots I used felt from Ace
here's is my first one
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17475-pipe-rack-i-built
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Rack advice needed   Pipe Rack advice needed EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 8:55 pm

frogjunk wrote:
I'll be building a pipe rack and a pipe cabinet soon. I have a router, drill press etc., but am not sire how to do those scallops on the bottom where the pipe bowls rest. Can anybody tell me what to use, and how to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Doug
What is called a Corebox bit will do the recess you need. A 1 5/8" Dia. ought to give a sufficient radius . This size usualy comes with a 1/2" shank and are usually made of solid carbide. They are expensive, but unless you are going into producing 100s of racks, one should last a lifetime Razz
Back to top Go down
Fishfuzz

Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Rack advice needed   Pipe Rack advice needed EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 3:32 am

monbla256 wrote:
frogjunk wrote:

Thanks!

Doug
What is called a Corebox bit will do the recess you need. A 1 5/8" Dia. ought to give a sufficient radius . This size usualy comes with a 1/2" shank and are usually made of solid carbide. They are expensive, but unless you are going into producing 100s of racks, one should last a lifetime Razz

Thanks for that tip. My dad has been building a few pipe racks and we weren't sure of the best method.
Back to top Go down
frogjunk

frogjunk

Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Rack advice needed   Pipe Rack advice needed EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 5:42 am

Picked up a core box bit at Rockler the other day. I think it will fit the bill just fine. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Rack advice needed   Pipe Rack advice needed EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:55 am

Good info to know... been playing with a few ideas in my mind as well.
Back to top Go down

Pipe Rack advice needed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: