HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Go down 
AuthorMessage
winterland

winterland

Registration date : 2012-08-09

Minnesota Ruffed Grouse Empty
PostSubject: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse   Minnesota Ruffed Grouse EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 1:39 am

Have been doing some Ruffed Grouse hunting in northern Minnesota. They are one of the best tasting game birds.
Had some luck this weekend. It is such a great time of year to be in the woods on a frosty morning. Shooting my trusty .410 single shot.
Hunted hard and got 3 birds. I kicked up another 8 or so. They must have been shot at a few times, as they were very wary. No dumb ones to be found.

Minnesota Ruffed Grouse IMAG1597
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse   Minnesota Ruffed Grouse EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 7:01 am

Game bird hunting has always interested me. I've never had the opportunity to give it a try, but perhaps someday. Congrats on a good hunt. cheers
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse   Minnesota Ruffed Grouse EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 am

Nice shooting, especially with a 410.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse   Minnesota Ruffed Grouse EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 12:26 pm

I envy you. I used to be an avid quail hunter, until the brutal winters of the mid 70s pretty much did them in.

Spent several years feeding varoius coveys in hopes that they would come back, but to no avail.

Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse   Minnesota Ruffed Grouse EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 7:32 pm

Its been awhile but I use to love dove and quail hunting. Love the taste of the birds. Thats pretty cool with the 410. Ive been eye balling a mossberg pump 410 here where I live. Want it bad but cant seem to get my mad money up for it.
Back to top Go down
Thistleoak

Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse   Minnesota Ruffed Grouse EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 9:36 pm

I wish I was a decent bird hunter.... just never really got into it... had nobody to teach me... Great shooting!
Back to top Go down
winterland

winterland

Registration date : 2012-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse   Minnesota Ruffed Grouse EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:43 am

Thistleoak game bird hunting is not hard. If you have game birds in your area give it a try. Just need a shotgun, ammo, some blaze orange if required in your state.
Then ask around about areas where people find game. If you can't find land to hunt onn check your state for maps of area that are open to public hunting.
It is fun just getting in the woods and walking even if you get skunked.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse   Minnesota Ruffed Grouse EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 5:02 pm

And when that bird launches and scares the hell out of you your feet will always be tangled up or you'll be off balance with no time for a shot (well that's ME anyway). Anyone eating Grouse has earned it,,, cheers

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
tech2576

tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Minnesota Ruffed Grouse   Minnesota Ruffed Grouse EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 7:18 pm

Damn, I miss hunting those birds. Some of the best time I ever spent outdoors.
Back to top Go down

Minnesota Ruffed Grouse
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: