New purchases

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

New purchases - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 4:08 pm

The 1911 frame and body being so narrow is great. I like single-stack magazines, but I'm also not too bad of a shot... after the eighth round in the chamber, the need to keep shooting is either fun or fear, I'm lead to believe. Laughing I'm going to likely be carrying the gun more than actually using it for defense, so I'd rather get really good at something easy to carry than rely on all that extra gun material and/or ammunition to lug around. The damn Judge is bad enough. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator
Mikem

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:17 pm

My son just purchased the Springfield Armory XDS in 45 acp yesterday. 5+1 rounds. Very thing and concealable. Fits nicely in the hand. He also purchased a 7+1 extended mag for it. I am really curious to how it shoots. I have been looking for a smaller 45 acp that is about the size of my XD-40 sub-compact. Maybe this is it.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Mikem wrote:
My son just purchased the Springfield Armory XDS in 45 acp yesterday. 5+1 rounds. Very thing and concealable. Fits nicely in the hand. He also purchased a 7+1 extended mag for it. I am really curious to how it shoots. I have been looking for a smaller 45 acp that is about the size of my XD-40 sub-compact. Maybe this is it.

Those are actually super cool, Mike. Good on him for a fine purchase. I like tiny 45 ACPs. I'd love to get a Kimber or some kind of small-frame 1911, but for now, I'm still totally behind my Bersa 45 Ultra Compact. It's cheap, I've put probably 5,000 rounds through it, and it shoots as good as new. Always has.

Cool
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Ive got a old Star model D 380 that is a great little gun. Has never failed to fire or eject. Shes with me every day. If I feel froggy I grab my 1911. I did buy a little 357 snubby the other day. My wife took it from me. I quess she liked it better than me. Hey Kyle she took a liking to the judge back when they first come out. Have you ever shot the +P 45 long colts in her. Packs a wallip. She has carried it till she took my 357.
My 380
New purchases - Page 2 IMG286
Use to be my 357
New purchases - Page 2 IMG284
This is my 45 and 380
New purchases - Page 2 07-27-08_1355-2
This is for the bigger varments
New purchases - Page 2 IMG050
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Just picked up this little diddy today. Dang it is nice having a dealer who will hold all the guns I can buy for me until I get home, but darn this could be a bad thing for my wallet.
New purchases - Page 2 Dscf7710

And the stats on it:
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=255&CFID=173376097&CFTOKEN=43041080
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:18 pm

plumbernater wrote:
Hey Kyle she took a liking to the judge back when they first come out. Have you ever shot the +P 45 long colts in her. Packs a wallip. She has carried it till she took my 357.

Sorry Plumber didn't check this thread until now.

I don't like using +P loads only because I sometimes worry about structural integrity, even if the gun is rated for it. Probably me just getting old. Laughing The standard .45 Colt wadcutters that come in a box of 50 for $30 seems to work just fine...I actually prefer them over the .410 slugs, and they're more accurate--and kick less! I do enjoy the buckshot .410 loads, though--they are some business in the hand for sure... ow... Laughing

Kaiser, that new AR setup is keen. Not too familiar with the RRA receivers (seems everyone's making an AR upper/lower these days).

Cool
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:22 pm

Yeah they are. I have looked at the piston operated but I guess I just like my gas operated best. I am probably going to pick up a Core-15 M4 Friday as well, and will post a link if I do. I figured I better get my "assault weapons" before the ban eventually goes back into play.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Eh, bans come and go (at least for now). It's the taketh-away-completely that is on the looming horizon.

The only reason why I don't have any AR setups is the maintenance. Again, probably me getting old, a few old battle rifles, a smattering of useful handguns and my Saiga-12 is all I really need. I say "need" with strained breath, though... GAD is only a few good mining projects away, and I'll be singing a different tune. lol!

Cool
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Maintenance....AR's are simple and not high maintenance at all IMO. They last a loooonnngg time. AK's on the other hand get crappy as they get old if not taken care of very well. As good as they are brand new they suck when they get older, but I'd still buy one if they were easily had right now.
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 11:17 pm

I know what you mean Kaiser. Im like that on those old marlin lever actions. They call it marlinitus. I am in the market for a AK though. Theres a gun show coming up here in Dec. and I have some trading bait. All ready itching to go.
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 11:21 pm

Hey Kyle how you liking that saiga. This is what Ive got.

New purchases - Page 2 IMG135
Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator
Mikem

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 8:58 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Mikem wrote:

Those are actually super cool, Mike. Good on him for a fine purchase. I like tiny 45 ACPs. I'd love to get a Kimber or some kind of small-frame 1911, but for now, I'm still totally behind my Bersa 45 Ultra Compact. It's cheap, I've put probably 5,000 rounds through it, and it shoots as good as new. Always has.

Cool
I agree about the Bersa's. I have had a .380 Bersa for many years now and don't know how many rounds I've shot threw that thing. It is like a Timex and keeps right on ticking. Any more the only time I get to shoot it is when I can get it away from the wife.
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Thats like my Star model D 380 She was made in 1964. She still shoots fine with out a hick up. Dont have any idea how many rounds have gone through her. Spanish steel you know.
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 2:03 pm

plumbernater wrote:
New purchases - Page 2 IMG050

Okay what's this one plumbernater, the name completely eludes me right now?
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Looks like the Ruger Mini-14, Kaiser. They're sweet lookin' rifles, but talk about picky/maintenance queens... that's all I ever hear about Mini-14 (or my friends are just really lazy Laughing ). Certain ARs are picky, some aren't. They are pretty pricey, being the "grown man's deadly Lego set," as I call them) so I just keep it cheap and simple. Smile

Is that a Mossberg 500-type thing, Plumber? Sure looks like one. It's a beaut. I love my Saiga-12, but I was lucky--I got one that didn't have the ejection problems as some do. I also got it when they were cheap, which they aren't any longer, I've noticed. Pretty fun shotgun with a 10-round mag or a 20-round drum. Total zombie shotgun if there ever were one. Twisted Evil

New purchases - Page 2 479537269_5f334ffc2f_z

As for Kalashnikov rifles, they're alright. They can be picky depending on who made them. The Romanian ones are stamped, not milled, receivers, and can get pretty loose and wonky over time. My father has a Yugoslavian one that is as solid as a rock. I believe the Chinese and Russian variants are the best, and can really take a beating before they start to hiccup. I got into collecting SKS rifles for a while, but got rid of them because I like the bolt-action stuff a lot more. Not sure why, just do. The interactivity is really interesting to me...

...that said, a nice Marlin lever-action carbine in .45 or .357 would really make me happy. If I got anything in the distant future, that'd be tops on the list. I really dig old cowboy rifles.

Mike, I'll be a Bersa fan for a long time if they keep up their quality-to-price ratio. I've been incredibly happy with that as a reliable sidearm. Smile

Cool
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Yep its a mini 14 Its the second year they made them 181 series. She is not picky . Will shoot anything Ive put through her, cheap or what ever ammo, with out any problem. I did put a stabilizer on the barrel to tighten up the groups and the front sight/muzzle break. Like I said she is very dependable. Had many rounds put through her. And yep the other is a mossberg 500. It use to be a pistol grip but I hated that and got a stock and fore grip off ebay for 20 bucks. It has the extended magazine and will hold 7 , 2- 3/4 double oo buck 8 with one in the pipe.
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Buy the way Kyle I like that saiga you have. You are fortunate to have a good one. I knew some one that had one and had to have quite a bit of work done on his to get it to function well. Once she was working it was a hoot to shoot. Kind of like my mini. she is fun to get out and burn up a few 100 rounds. Alot will tell you they arent accurate. I can hit what I shoot at. Ther all all kinds of certain gun fans out there. Hell I like all kinds.
Back to top Go down
Cuervo25_1

Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 12:03 am

Once everything settles here I am going to save up for a custom built 30.06 involving a argentine mauser action and some really nice grained wood for a stock. Something along these lines.

New purchases - Page 2 097

New purchases - Page 2 025

I am also wanting to get a rem 870 in a 12 gauge super mag with a field, rifled, and home defence barrel.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 1:14 am

Holy crap, Cuervo the furniture on that Mauser is dead gorgeous. Shocked Definitely put something together that pretty. cheers I love Mausers. A lot. I only have one, a Yugo, but it's neat to shoot. 8mm works for me; I have an FN-49 that takes 8mm, too, so...that works.

Plumber, I think the Mini-14 looks better with the standard rifle stock anyway. I hear the older ones are way less bitchy than the newer ones, so that makes sense. I'd grab an older one if I had the chance--I was pretty good iron-sights with a Mini out to 100 yards...when it was working for me. *shrug* My father had a Saiga-20 that would not work right. I tried a little smithing on it to smooth out the hangup-spots, ported the gas chamber a little, but it never seemed to want to play dice. Then there's mine, that will take hot loads, crappy loads, brass loads, 3" mags, it eats it all up. I am lucky, and it'll be the last piece of hardware that leaves my safe. I was asked to leave the trap club here because they didn't like it (even with the 5-round mag)...but meh. Screw 'em. That's what the desert is for. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
Cuervo25_1

Cuervo25_1

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 1:25 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Holy crap, Cuervo the furniture on that Mauser is dead gorgeous. Shocked Definitely put something together that pretty. cheers I love Mausers. A lot. I only have one, a Yugo, but it's neat to shoot. 8mm works for me; I have an FN-49 that takes 8mm, too, so...that works.

I know the guy that built the one pictured, I am not one to have an ugly firearm, nor one that sits unused just for looks. So I am going to have him build me a 30.06 for hunting. As far as the stock goes I usually prefer a synthetic stock, but like pipes when it has a wonderful grain such as the one pictured I will take that.

I would like to get a nice collection of military rifles period, but there are several mausers I particularly want.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 3:33 am

I'm a sap for nice woodgrain. I'm right there with ya. Smile

Old military arms are wonderful things to have. I went overboard for a while and had to get rid of a lot of them, but I have a few gems. Like pipes, we're merely their stewards until the next guy gets to experience their appreciative moments with them, be they the gentle stillness of the briar or the history of a real battle weapon. Intense stuff...opposite sides, same coin.

Cool
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 9:36 am

Kyle if you ever want to get ride of that FM 49 You call me. Ive wanted one for a long time. They are better than any SKS out there. I f you like mausers I have a pre WW2 sporterizes on that was taken from a sniper and sent back home by my uncle during WW2.

New purchases - Page 2 Picture090
New purchases - Page 2 Mailgooglecom
Back to top Go down
Cuervo25_1

Cuervo25_1

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 12:04 pm

just out of curiosity how hard are FG42's to find? I would also like a luger in all three calibers, a mp 40, and about a dozen others at least lol. I luckily have a firearms dealer nearby that specializes in thes type firearms.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 3:02 pm

If you have the cash, anything is easy to find, Cuervo. Wink If you're looking for that old-man-basement deal where he thinks you're a "nice kid" and will sell something to you for $100, well... I have a feeling those days are gone. Laughing Nevada and its infamous gun shows, I've seen the gamut...rip-off partial replica garbage for over-the-top prices to hidden gems for half their worth.

Plumber, that FN49 is going to be with me for a while. It ain't no tackhammer, but I'm good to about 200 yards for a few trigger-pulls, open-sights with a little drift...I mean, those 8mm jacketed rounds go where they want and how they want. Laughing Mausers are about the only rifles that can fling those babies with any prayer or accuracy. If I want accurate, I have a slightly thrashed Russian Mosin-Nagant that, even though the barrel is pitted, the rifling is worn, and the parts aren't matching, I can group 4 out of 5 shots in an 8" circle under 400 yards, with no scope. Go figure.

Cool
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: New purchases   New purchases - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 3:31 pm

I already got a mosin. This is what I like to send 7.62x54 down range with. Its a SVT 40 RUSSIAN. Shes down right accurate too. My tack driver is a old Carl Gustaf Swedish mauser in 6.5x55

New purchases - Page 2 IMG047

Last edited by plumbernater on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

New purchases
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: