HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
beetlejazz

beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? Empty
PostSubject: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 12:40 pm

As a kid I was always really fond of this genre. Possibly has to do with my father, who used to draw me pictures of pirates and entertain me with trivia about the big beautiful sailships and the less beautiful way of life on them. Among my favourite books were "Treasure Island" and "Peter Simple".

While most of what I read nowadays is very different, right now I'm really craving to go back to this stuff, so I'm looking for book recommendations.

Know any good ones, anyone? The more massive the better.
Back to top Go down
dkj42

Registration date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 12:59 pm

cyclops Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent - I have read this series several times and really enjoyed it every time.
It is about the English navy during the tall ships era and the Napolean Wars. While each book is not massive in itself, the series could be considered as one story and that makes it really massive. pirat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 1:01 pm

THE best

IMHO

http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Utopias-Peter-Lamborn-Wilson/dp/1570271585

What a Face
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

beetlejazz

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 1:39 pm

dkj42 wrote:
cyclops Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent - I have read this series several times and really enjoyed it every time.
It is about the English navy during the tall ships era and the Napolean Wars. While each book is not massive in itself, the series could be considered as one story and that makes it really massive. pirat

WOOHOO!!! cheers

I think I just got my hands into an audio version of this - I'm looking for audiobooks, actually, because there's few enjoyments like listening to an audio book and knitting. Embarassed

Yak, that looks interesting too - a bit more serious than what I'm specifically looking for right now but I'm sure to take a note on that one too.
Back to top Go down
GristlyGrowler

Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: The Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian...   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 5:55 pm

I highly recommend the Aubrey/ Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian. There are twenty of them dealing with British naval life during the Napoleonic era. The series has spawned several publications dealing with history, maps/charts of geography mentioned in the novels. cookbooks with detailed traditional and modernized versions of food mentioned, etc. Also, audiobooks are available.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Tall Ships :

Dana : Two Years Before the Mast
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 6:47 pm

I may have the name spelled slightly wrong, but you might try Rafael Sabatini (Captain Blood, etc.)
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

beetlejazz

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Actually I just started off with Captain Blood, and I have to say it's way better than I would have expected. Shocked The prose actually reminds me of Stendahl in it's flowing wittiness where the protagonist is quite often, in a tender, loving way of course, the butt of the joke.

Besides, gotta love a book that starts:

Quote :
Peter Blood, bachelor of medicine and several other things besides, smoked a pipe and tended the geraniums boxed on the sill of his window above Water Lane in the town of Bridgewater.

I'll take a look at the rest of recommended here too. Thanks brothers, this stuff will make the winter way brighter.
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

beetlejazz

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 7:33 pm

GristlyGrowler wrote:
I highly recommend the Aubrey/ Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian. There are twenty of them dealing with British naval life during the Napoleonic era. The series has spawned several publications dealing with history, maps/charts of geography mentioned in the novels. cookbooks with detailed traditional and modernized versions of food mentioned, etc. Also, audiobooks are available.

I need this. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 8:27 pm

This is probably not going to interest you at all, but I read a book a while back by A.S Peterson called The Fiddler's Gun. It's not hard core pirates, or anything, but the story line is very interesting, has life like qualities, and is a good adventure. It feels like it was written by an old Salt who knew the water better than the land.

The Fiddler's Gun is the first of two books in the series. The second is called "The Fiddler's Green".

You might read the forward and see what you think. Heck, I'd be willing to lend both to you if you wanted to give 'em a try.

Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
dkj42

Registration date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 9:43 pm

cyclops And, of course, C. S. Forester's Hornblower series - same comments as the Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Make sure you smoke a bowl of 'Captain Black' while you read these.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 10:09 pm

^Or Hamborger Veermeister...

Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 10:32 pm

dkj42 wrote:
cyclops And, of course, C. S. Forester's Hornblower series - same comments as the Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent. Very Happy

Oooh, Horatio Hornblower? The TV series was great!
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
Dave_In_Philly

Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 11:01 pm

dkj42 wrote:

Yup, this. I loved the Hornblower books.
Back to top Go down
Nick Fox

Nick Fox

Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?   Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations? EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 3:31 am

Pirate Latitudes by Michael criton, a postmortem release. They found a complete manuscript, story and all, in his dresser or desk or something while cleaning out his estate. I loved it!
Back to top Go down

Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: