Hooked on handguns

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DoverPipes

DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

Hooked on handguns - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 2:47 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
So what do you guys who actually carry blue steel use to keep it from rusting? What's your daily procedure, not just the product? I rarely carry, but you never know. I have a preference for the Colt Combat Commander, FWIW. Got big hands.

http://froglube.com/

Here's a test result after exposing a metal bar to two months in the elements:
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 7:37 am

To keep the rust down, I use hoppies gun oil . A little wipe down every so often. a complete disasimbling and cleaning now and then. Most my guns are old and no rust.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 8:03 am

Fatman wrote:
I have a few handguns....

Hooked on handguns - Page 2 P1000110

Taurus .44 mag
Desert Eagle .44 mag
Smith and Wesson XD tactical .45 acp
Ruger LCP .380
Kel Tec 9mm
Smith and Wesson model 13-3 .357 mag
Uberti Cattleman .45 LC
Russian made Makarov in 9x18 Makarov
Taurus PT 92 in 9mm

I keep the S&W .45 in my truck, and the Ruger LCP in my pocket. I forgot to add my other carry gun, a Taurus .357 mag snubby revolver. My next purchase will be a .50 AE barrel and magazine for the Desert Eagle, so I have the ability to swap calibers.
I love the Taurus, if we were allowed to own guns and I could afford one I would definitely own a Magnum, those babies are all muscle and I love em, oh well, back to boring old British banality....
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 11:09 am

Thanks DoverPipes and Plumbernater. I guess I ought to have asked what should a slackerboy who hates cleaning guns use to protect it if he carries every day. The Froglube really looks interesting--but the Hoppe's smells so damn good! (I once heard from a female of the species that real men also use it, or should use it, as an aftershave.)
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 11:15 am

I also use a silicone impregnated cloth to wipe my guns down. Regular cleaning, lubricating and attention to detail should keep your blued steel corrosion free!
Back to top Go down
Briarbabe

Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 11:18 am

Although I do not own a gun myself, this thread, and the comments from those outside the country, have really made me appreciate our right to bear arms.
Back to top Go down
http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 11:39 am

Fatman wrote:
I also use a silicone impregnated cloth to wipe my guns down. Regular cleaning, lubricating and attention to detail should keep your blued steel corrosion free!
I was afraid of that. Thanks, Fatman.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 11:57 am

Briarbabe wrote:
Although I do not own a gun myself, this thread, and the comments from those outside the country, have really made me appreciate our right to bear arms.
Yeah, I used to be anti-gun, more or less. Not militantly so, but just as a default position if asked. Thank God for friends, their powers of persuasion, and my reasoning skull. Now I'm NRA Life and proud of it. The right to own a gun and free speech are basic rights, and I wouldn't want to live under a government that didn't recognize them.
Back to top Go down
Jers

Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 1:18 pm

There is obviously a counter argument supporting gun control. On balance I'm pro gun ownership but I always find it helpful to read differing perspectives......

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/07/a-land-without-guns-how-japan-has-virtually-eliminated-shooting-deaths/260189/

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
Briarbabe

Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Fatman wrote:
This sentence just made all the dirty parts of my brain explode.
Back to top Go down
http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 4:04 pm

You got to watch him girl. He's a silver tunged devil.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Getting hooked on handguns is easy, the hard part has become feeding them, either finding/ affording the ammo, or gathering reloading components.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 7:37 pm

I've always admired the look, feel and easy pocketability of the Walther PPK and thought the infamous home invasion in CT would give me an opening to get one, but my missus heard that the old 20 gauge in my closet was the perfect home defense weapon. Back to the drawing board.
Back to top Go down
whitepony1986

Registration date : 2013-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 1:48 am

my hand gun list isn't modest i admit but here goes

Rossi .38spl
springfield xd 9mm
s&w 41 mag
wilson combat cqb 1911 in .45 acp
taurus pt1911 in .45 acp
ruger blackhawk in .357
sig saur nightmare 1911 in .45 acp
colt series 70 1911 in .45 acp
custom 1911 i built on a caspain frame and slide modified with a 1 lb 9 oz trigger also .45 acp
springfeild loaded 1911 again .45
and finally the little bastard child of my collection a baby deagle in .40

i don't have a thing for 1911's or anything i swear.........

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 3:33 am

I miss my 1911's. Most of my cool stuff went the way of sales to eat and pay rent. They kept my synthesizers safe from sale (plus, a good old synth is harder to find).

Back at the thinned-out ranch, I make do with a Bersa UC .45, a Taurus Judge sport in 2 3/4 I carry for field work, and a pretty rare Nazi P-38.

The wish list is long and stupidly unobtainable, but...dreams are nice. Laughing

After electronic-stuff, gun engineering is mesmerizing.

Cool
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 1:50 pm

Fatman and the other 380 carriers.   What ammo do you load up in those?

Last edited by puros_bran on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stogiegila

Stogiegila

Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Speer Gold Dot 95 gr JHP
Remmington Golden Saber 95gr JHP
Federal Hydra Shock 95gr JHP

Are all good

Additionally one mag filled with 95gr FMJ (usually Fiocchi)

The primary concerns of 380 auto is the lack of penetration. By having a mag of JHP and FMJ you cover both grounds in terms of expansion and penetration.

That being said shot placement is always the key.
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Federal Hydra Shock 95gr JHP is what I have in the magazine, I have to echo shot placement! In the winter I carry my snubby .357, penetration is less of an issue and it carries well in a jacket pocket What a Face
Back to top Go down
DoverPipes

DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 6:54 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Fatman and the other 380 carriers.   What ammo do you load up in those?
First choice:
Cor-Bon DPX: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/380-Auto%7C/pc/105625080/c/106594380/COR174BON-DPX-Handgun-Ammunition/740703.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FAuto%2F106594380.uts

Second Choice:
Cor-Bon Self Defense: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/380-Auto%7C/pc/105625080/c/106594380/COR174BON-Self-Defense-Handgun-Ammunition/740705.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FAuto%2F106594380.uts
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 pm

That CorBon SD is what I have loaded in my Ruger LCP. (2nd Gen, unofficial). Feeds reliable and is pretty hot.

My other weapons are mostly range toys now.
Back to top Go down
plumbernater

plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:19 pm

I generally use ball. Its never failed to work. I don't have to worry about penatration. And I have some pretty hot loads I've had loaded for me. Hey Fatman I had a 357 snubby till.my wife took it from me. Now she carries it.
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 1:11 am

Winchester Ranger T
.45 ACP 230gr. +P
9mm 124gr. +P
Hooked on handguns - Page 2 Image004
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 1:15 am

I had a S&W 686 with 2.5 bbl I carried for over a decade. Had black silverwood grips. Sweet looking but what a handful. I always joked that even if I missed they'd die. The concussion would stun them while the fireball burned them up.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys actually carry handguns with you in your everyday life and why?

Last edited by MisterE on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : expand question to include "why")
Back to top Go down
Fatman

Fatman

PostSubject: Re: Hooked on handguns   Hooked on handguns - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 2:30 pm

MisterE wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys actually carry handguns with you in your everyday life?
I do.
Back to top Go down

Hooked on handguns
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: