Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

Let's see some fish Empty
PostSubject: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 6:17 pm

Salmon River in NY, fall 2013

Let's see some fish <a href=Let's see some fish 11583922-standard_zpsfd7da76a" />

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.

Last edited by mark on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 7:56 pm

I haven't fished that river in a long time and really enjoyed the steelhead run in the late fall. What a great fishery that place is.
Back to top Go down
allyby

allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 7:14 am

Let's see some fish Ally-012

A Skate caught just off Oban Scotland.
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 8:14 am

Wow,
That must've been a battle for sure. Probably towed the boat for a while.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 10:05 am

This was about 12 years ago on the Sea of Cortez.

Let's see some fish Image74

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 10:31 am

Now that fish deserves some bragging rights.  cheers cheers

Or should I say the fisherman??? LOL
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 10:54 am

That wasn't even the biggest Fish! It was the biggest Dorado of the trip though, and was my first Dorado on my first day of my first trip down there. About an hour later I landed a Pacific Sailfish that went well over 100 pounds. One buddy landed a Marlin that was close to 200 pounds. We released everything but the Dorado, which were delicious  Cool 

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 11:15 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
We released everything but the Dorado, which were delicious  Cool 

Fantastic, I was going to ask if you ate that monster. I can only imagine how delicious it was.
You had one hell of a day on the water for sure.
 Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 11:44 am

One of the guys I went down there with had a house. His family had been leasing it year round for a couple of decades, they all took turns going down at different times of the year. It was about half a mile from the port at Loreto, BCS, we fished there a couple weeks at a time in July a few years in a row until a hurricane wiped out the house a few years back. We would drive down (24 hour non stop drive from here) with an empty freezer in the back of the truck and park the truck in the garage when we got there, load some ice blocks into the bottom of the freezer and plug it in. We would filet the Dorado every day and put what we didn't eat or share with the neighbors into the freezer. When it was time to drive back home we duck taped the freezer closed and drove back home with enough fish for our familes and friends to enjoy for quite a long time.

The Mexicans at the many road blocks on the Baja highway only wanted a quick peek into the freezer (usually after a big smile from us, and an offer of an ice cold soda or beer, and a little cigar) and we'd be on our way. The border guards in the US were pretty rough, assuming we were bad characters because of the sealed chest, and worthy of a lengthy inspection. Except for one time, when we drove up to the border guard who was clearly very tired from a long day. He lowered his sunglasses, peered at the chest with bloodshot eyes and asked "Do I want to know what's in there?" My buddy who was driving looked at him, lowered his sunglasses and just said "No".  Neutral  The border guard didn't say a word and waved us through.

MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject:    Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Great catch PD! Most Dorado are about half that size or smaller!

We used to fish in the Sea of Cortez every year. Back in the '70s it was unbelievably good fishing. The estuaries around Puerto Peñasco would be teeming with fish as the tide came in. You'd catch something just about every cast when conditions were good. Yellowtail, Dorado, and even the occasional Stingray if you were fishing with bait on the bottom. The last time we went was in the early '90s and I didn't catch one thing in four days. Complete skunk. Pollution and commercial fishing wiped everything out. Sad.
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 6:29 pm

We were skipping very large baitfish on the surface over submerged reefs near Isla Carmen. The pelagics seem to congregate over these reefs, which are surrounded by some pretty deep water, and the fishing is very good. But, you have to have good timing as these fish (Dorado, Marlin, Sailfish, Wahoo, Yellowtail) move around a lot. They are somewhat predictable as far as certain regions at certain times of the year, but even when you do everything right you're still at the mercy of the quirks of these species.

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Here's mine... Does it count?

Let's see some fish Fish10
Back to top Go down
gnossos

Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 6:58 pm

I was at the Salmon River in fall of 2013 too!

Let's see some fish 2d1366e4339d11e3990622000aeb0f14_8

Let's see some fish 1169348_219253134909622_60858966_n

And I also ran in to this dangerous fellow recently

Let's see some fish 10011456_534196896693051_286167924_n

Would love to go after some much larger warmer water fish!
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 7:35 pm

My biggest was a 75.7 pound Amberjack that I speared at about 130' on the Louisiana oil rigs.  
(I know a bunch of divers that shot AJs over 100 pounds, so not that big a deal.)
Let's see some fish Aj751110
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Hell yeah Hermit!!  cheers 

Admin
mark

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 8:32 pm

Let's see some fish <a href=Let's see some fish IMGP0763-10-sm_zps74612798" />

<- Chinook,,,,,,Coho ->

Back to top Go down
gnossos

Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 10:56 pm

Hermit wrote:
My biggest was a 75.7 pound Amberjack that I speared at about 130' on the Louisiana oil rigs.  
(I know a bunch of divers that shot AJs over 100 pounds, so not that big a deal.)
Let's see some fish Aj751110

Now that's a damn fish. You musta had to bathe in the outhouse for a week after that picture. Trying to imagine what it's like to be elbow deep in some gills.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 11:35 pm

gnossos wrote:
I was at the Salmon River in fall of 2013 too!

You must have had your hands full using a fly rod. I have enough trouble using heavy tackle.

Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 9:37 am

Those are some amazing salt water fish gents.
Here are a couple large mouth bass from mid coast Maine. No comparison to your monsters but still a ball to catch.Let's see some fish NiceBassLet's see some fish IMG_2052_zps52104edb
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 11:16 am

Let's see some fish PB290047

This was the drum I caught camping on the Outer Banks in NC.   Borrowed my brother-in-laws rod/reel.   Waiting for the new Cabalas to open in Garner soon to pick my own gear.   I only like 2 hours from the beach so I plan on doing a lot of surf casting this year.
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 3:26 pm

Lower Stoney fall of 2013
Let's see some fish Photo110

Shiso's winter of 2014   Laughing 
Let's see some fish Photo111
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 8:58 pm

[quote="Hawker"]Lower Stoney fall of 2013
Let's see some fish Photo110

Ahhhhhh,
Brook Trout, or Speckled Trout as you call them in Canada. The most beautiful fish in the world IMO, and the finest quarry on a fly rod. Love 'em.
Thanks for the photo.
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Doc. Out west we call em Brookies as well.
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 11:41 pm

Out west in California/Nevada we call em Brookies too, but they're rarely bigger than 12 inches.

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: Let's see some fish   Let's see some fish EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 6:04 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Out west in California/Nevada we call em Brookies too, but they're rarely bigger than 12 inches.

I have old photos that I want to convert to digital format of brookies that I caught in the Northern most region of Quebec. They were 4 1/2 to 5 pound brook trout, and Lake Trout over 50 pounds. The most amazing fresh water fishing I've ever experienced. I returned every year for over 10 years back in the 1970's. The memories will be with me forever. Up in Quebec they do call brook trout Speckled Trout, unlike the rest of us. Life is a little different up there.
Back to top Go down

Let's see some fish
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: