HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Canoeing the James River redux

Go down 
AuthorMessage
eklektos44

eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

Canoeing the James River redux Empty
PostSubject: Canoeing the James River redux   Canoeing the James River redux EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:24 am

We had a great trip. 21 miles from Eagle Rock to Buchanan with an overnight. We forgot the camera so the pictures are taken with the phone.

View upriver from Campground:

Canoeing the James River redux NmsxPp

My wife with the old stone bridge pier in the background:

Canoeing the James River redux DDrS0y

Firing up a bowl of C&D Big and Burley #103:

Canoeing the James River redux EByJTp

The happy haze:

Canoeing the James River redux HZPXWc

Downstream:

Canoeing the James River redux XFngv8

Campsite:

Canoeing the James River redux 4pV7hb

Canoeing the James River redux Z9vqjg

With any luck we'll be Backpacking the Iron Ore trail up to Hoops Hole next weekend.  Smile
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Canoeing the James River redux   Canoeing the James River redux EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 8:59 pm

I saw those bubble wrap cozies in your other river thread and could tell you're a man who knows what he's doing. Those things weigh almost nothing and cut your fuel use in half. (I'm an old school Svea user BTW)
I've been into open water kayaking for a few years now, but your pics are making me want to get back on the rivers in a canoe. They're like pickup trucks compared to sports cars.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Canoeing the James River redux   Canoeing the James River redux EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Nice! Did you bring your fly rod?
Back to top Go down
eklektos44

eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Canoeing the James River redux   Canoeing the James River redux EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 10:11 pm

MisterE wrote:
Nice! Did you bring your fly rod?

No, no fishing this trip. Still a great float though.
Back to top Go down
eklektos44

eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Canoeing the James River redux   Canoeing the James River redux EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 10:45 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
I saw those bubble wrap cozies in your other river thread and could tell you're a man who knows what he's doing. Those things weigh almost nothing and cut your fuel use in half. (I'm an old school Svea user BTW)
I've been into open water kayaking for a few years now, but your pics are making me want to get back on the rivers in a canoe. They're like pickup trucks compared to sports cars.

My brother has a kayak, but he seems to mostly drive around with it on the roof of his car. scratch I also have an alcohol stove I made from the bottom of two beer cans. But I prefer the butane/propane canisters as it brings the water to a boil in about half the time. We bought a Katadyn Vario filter as we were burning fuel like there's no tomorrow. You really have to use one around here, amoebic dysentery is not a fun thing.
Back to top Go down

Canoeing the James River redux
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Field & Stream-
Jump to: