Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Empty
PostSubject: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Well number 15 didn't go so well, took too much off the rear of the bowl and flatten the corresponding side of the shank with one fatal Oops of the shaping disk. No So it's been delegated to be a shop pipe.
Not real bad look'en and smokes pretty dadburn good if I do say so my self, had a half bowl of Erinmore
this afternoon in it. Wink It's got a Yellow Bakelite stem and I'm really not sure if I like it with the Olive wood or not, I reckon it's okay. I could smell formaldehyde in the stem, cause that's one of the ingredients in Bakelite so I'm unsure if that'll go away after a few smokes or not but, I won't be using it for any other pipes again, unless it's a replacement.
Oh yeah, that sad look'en nickel band used to be square but, I was able to make it round to hide that flat side of the shank, so good enough for a shop pipe. So without further ado here's the Olive wood turd. Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Cheesy11

Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Pipe_110

Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Pipe_111

Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Pipe_112

Working on a nice Algerian Briar Cutty too and thankfully it has gotten the blunt of my bad luck and is coming along nicely. Oughta be done by the end of the week if my back holds out. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 6:59 pm

Nice! 😀

Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 7:26 pm

I like the Bakelite with the olive wood. It strikes a small resemblance to a meerschaum with yellow Bakelite that has colored with use.

BTW - love the pipe
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks guys Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Liftha11
I'm unsure why the stem colored turned out like that. It began as a dark kinda orange yellow (to me anyway) and as I sanded and shaped it got lighter and started showing streaks of white. Another reason I won't use it again.
Back to top Go down
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Love the contrasting grain with that olive wood Ron, most olive wood pipes I've seen are rather boring grain wise. This one pops nicely. I'm sure it's a good smoker too, shame about the Bakelite not working out for you, a Cumberland stem would look good too in my humble opinion.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 7:56 pm

Timbo wrote:
Love the contrasting grain with that olive wood Ron, most olive wood pipes I've seen are rather boring grain wise. This one pops nicely. I'm sure it's a good smoker too, shame about the Bakelite not working out for you, a Cumberland stem would look good too in my humble opinion.

Cheers

Tim

Thank you Tim Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Liftha11
I think your right about a Cumberland stem, the Bakelite one is too light a color for the pipe.
Shame I haven't any, it's a lot more expensive then Ebonite and Acrylic and I just can't afford
buying a rod when I'm unsure if these turds I make will even sell for long. Back to basic black
and maybe some amber Acrylic. Wink
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 8:02 pm

Despite your misgivings Ron this turned out pretty nice. I've always liked the grain on Olive wood pipes and this one has it in spades. And the choice of stem color is great. Really nice contrast.

Never smoked a pipe with a Bakelite stem so can't comment there on the taste you get. 

Cheers,

RR

Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Pipe_112

Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Purple11x 3Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Bombx10Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Bombx10  Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe D6bddf10 Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Cowboy13Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Thank you BD Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Liftha11
Maybe I'll just find a home for it where someone can appreciate it more then me.
I realize it's not a real bad look'en pipe (otherwise I would have posted it), it's just rather disappointing
to me. I want to make Great pipes not okay ones.................it's gona be a long ride my friend.5)
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:16 pm

Love the olive wood! I agree the stem is a bit too light (for my tastes anyway)

Still, a great looking piece
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Love the olive wood! I agree the stem is a bit too light (for my tastes anyway)

Still, a great looking piece

Thank you OW! Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Liftha11
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 9:20 am

Sorry for barging in here, as I've been away for a while and just catching up on some of the posts. Ron I sure as hell can't see any flaws in that pipe. It looks great and like others have stated, the stem is a great match for the Olive wood grain and color shades. Now I have to go back and search other posts to see what you have been up to. Keep up the good work, that pipe is excellent IMO.
cheers
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 10:54 am

docwatson wrote:
Sorry for barging in here, as I've been away for a while and just catching up on some of the posts. Ron I sure as hell can't see any flaws in that pipe. It looks great and like others have stated, the stem is a great match for the Olive wood grain and color shades. Now I have to go back and search other posts to see what you have been up to. Keep up the good work, that pipe is excellent IMO.
cheers

Thank you Doc Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Liftha12
It may look nice in the photos but, it has it's problems aesthetically in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 11:23 am

Well done! I've never tried a pipe with a bakelite stem. Looks cool!

Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
RobJ

RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 11:59 am

Another great looking creation, I like it. The stem color looks good to me too.

Btw curmudgeonpipes.com is available.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 12:03 pm

RobJ wrote:
Another great looking creation, I like it. The stem color looks good to me too.

Btw curmudgeonpipes.com is available.

cheers

Jump on it, Ron!
Back to top Go down
SPUD 15

SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 12:41 pm

My .02 looks great as do all the pipes you have made. I am sure anyone would really appreciate it. Stem looks great with the Olive wood. MIKE
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 12:51 pm

Thanks Guys! Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Liftha13 But, I reckon I'll stick with RDPipes. Wink
Curmudgeon implies I'm a mean nasty unhappy character and we all know that's just not true. Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Cheesy12
Back to top Go down
AJ

AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Ron the pipe looks great to me however I would prefer a Cumberland stem. Personally I don't see any flaws. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 4:49 pm

Thank you Mike and AJ Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Liftha14
Your both too kind Wink
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Personally, I'm not partial to Olive but I sure do like the shape.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 9:56 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Personally, I'm not partial to Olive but I sure do like the shape.

Thank you sir! Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Liftha21
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Well..........

As it turns out this pipe has found a new home!

cyclops 

Here's an abbreviated version of what I told Ron in a pm. (Hope you don't mind Ron).

Had the initial voyage with the pipe today, and am happy to report everything went great.

I chose PA for the task, as that's what I usually break in all my pipes with. It always burns fine with few re-lights and I do like the flavor.

It smoked effortlessly all the way down. I did have to pace myself since I didn't want it to heat up too much. In fact it did get a little hot near the end of the bowl, but that was down to me trying to get to the bottom of the bowl. So I quit before it got too hot as I didn't want to do any damage.

Very impressed with the ease of the draw. The engineering on this is spot on. Also love the feel in the hand. The glossy finish of the bowl is impressive, and the unique Bakelite stem is new to me. I didn't get any Formaldehyde character from it. It's certainly a more firm material than Acrylic, but not uncomfortable in any way.

And I really love the color of it - perfect compliment to the Olive wood bowl. It's kind of swirly like a Cumberland, which is one of my favorite stem choices.

I had read that Olive wood imparts a unique flavor, at least in the initial break in. Not sure if I caught this but there was a certain something lurking there. Not unpleasant at all though.

Altogether this has all the potential to become one of my go-to pipes. Absolutely love the feel of it and can't stop looking at the lovely grain, the slick finish, and being a bent fits me perfectly.

Ron, you have a winner here and no mistake. And you can quote me on that! You clearly have the craft down. Don't kid yourself, you are a talented carver. And I'm humbled you chose me to receive this work of art.

Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Herz

Cheers,

RR

Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Purple11x 3Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Bombx10Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Bombx10  Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe D6bddf10 Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Cowboy13Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Well..........

As it turns out this pipe has found a new home!

cyclops 
(Hope you don't mind Ron).

Cheers,

RR

That's quite alright sir. Wink
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 8:02 pm

Phuqueing cool.......

You guys rock.

Human beings, at last.....

Filtered through forum regulators and security software, of course... Oh, and distance......

Otherwise, it's good for my heart to see this..

That is all!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe   Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe EmptyThu Sep 24, 2015 11:05 pm

I can see the little area that you mentioned as being slightly off round...with my microscope. But I'd be upset too I guess...if it was me and I was intending perfection and it fell short in my eyes. We are our own harshest critics.

The color combo? Certainly a very individual thing. I wouldn't like a swirl or even Cumberland stem...thinking it would fight with the grain pattern in the Olive, which is very nice indeed. I like the solid color choice and even the two light tan/buttery colors look pleasing. Proof that blondes have more fun? Whatever. That with the slightly abused (snicker) look of your band (nice save there by the way) give it a sort of antique feel. Overall, I think it's a winner.

Shop pipe my ®¿#.

Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe D6bddf10Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe 29400910Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe 114e6110Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Ddb39b10Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Cf77ce10Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Dd692012Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe Cowboy13
Back to top Go down

Pipe 15 Olivewood Calabash Shop Pipe
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next