A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kaitlyn3837

kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs?   A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
kaitlyn3837 wrote:
... and now I can't find anything about a shape "73" that even remotely comes close to the shape of this pipe. I hope Riff Raff does chime in if he gets a minute!

I'M SO CONFUSED!

I'm curious: that's not a "13" is it, instead of a "73"? The number 13 would make it an oompaul (Hungarian). Sometimes numbers get a bit stylized, the "1" looking amazingly like a "7". Just a thought.

Ooh! I forgot to reply to this one too. It is DEFINITELY a "73". I checked it in 3 different lightings (with my contacts in Wink )
Back to top Go down
glpease
Dark Lord
glpease

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs?   A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 12:37 am

Thanks for the welcome!

Marechal Ruchon & Cie. sold the brand to Oppenheimer in 1902 or so, who changed it to Marechal, Ruchon & Co, Ltd, and used the mark freely. There are rumours that the MR&C brand ceased to exist once Cadogan was formed in 1920, but that's not exactly the case. Whether or not the actual brand continued to exist, Oppenheimer/GBD stamped their silver work with the MR&C marks at least through the 50s, and possibly into the 60s, though I've not seen one that recent.

ftrplt wrote:
I hear everything that's being said about this wonderful piece, including GLP's (Welcome back, sir!). How some ever, I'm still trying to get my head around the "MR&C" on the silver. Why would that stamping be on a 1957 pipe? Just askin'!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
http://www.glpease.com
kaitlyn3837

kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs?   A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 12:52 pm

glpease wrote:
Thanks for the welcome!

Marechal Ruchon & Cie. sold the brand to Oppenheimer in 1902 or so, who changed it to Marechal, Ruchon & Co, Ltd, and used the mark freely. There are rumours that the MR&C brand ceased to exist once Cadogan was formed in 1920, but that's not exactly the case. Whether or not the actual brand continued to exist, Oppenheimer/GBD stamped their silver work with the MR&C marks at least through the 50s, and possibly into the 60s, though I've not seen one that recent.

ftrplt wrote:
I hear everything that's being said about this wonderful piece, including GLP's (Welcome back, sir!). How some ever, I'm still trying to get my head around the "MR&C" on the silver. Why would that stamping be on a 1957 pipe? Just askin'!! cheers FTRPLT

It looks like the mystery has indeed been solved then! 1957 sounds right for the markings, the lower case "b", the "new standard" line, AND the perspex stem! Awesome sauce! I wish someone would follow up on your work and documentation and put together a comprehensive history, pics, and info. PipePhil and Pipedia helped me a bit but there is obviously a lot of missing information!

Thank you all for your help, expertise, and info! Now comes the hard part... Deciding whether to tuck it away or sell it to a collector of GBD's! UGH, decisions, decisions.
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs?   A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 1:04 pm

glpease wrote:
Thanks for the welcome!

ftrplt wrote:

And I thank you, sir, for all your super information! You're supposed to learn something new everyday...and I just did!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs?   A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 18, 2017 8:50 am

Kaitlyn, how often will you have such a rare pipe to smoke on a special occasion, I think you owe it to yourself to smoke it and let that help you decide since it may be your best smoker and wouldn’t it be a shame to never know?
banjo
Back to top Go down
http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
kaitlyn3837

kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs?   A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 18, 2017 4:16 pm

fishnbanjo wrote:
Kaitlyn, how often will you have such a rare pipe to smoke on a special occasion, I think you owe it to yourself to smoke it and let that help you decide since it may be your best smoker and wouldn’t it be a shame to never know?
banjo

Ohhhh you do have a good point! I better clean it up and see how it smokes Wink
Back to top Go down

A Rarity? Anyone know about GBDs?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: