The retirement thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
beeman86

beeman86

Registration date : 2014-08-02

The retirement thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 4:45 pm

I'm late in on this thread but what the heck... I retired 4 1/2 years ago now from a 28 year law enforcement carreer. It took a bit of adjustment, like the 20 minutes it took me to drive home. The only thing I miss is the morning cutting up in briefing before taking to the road - that was so much fun.

My wife and I moved north (within in Ontario) and I took a 25 year hobby in beekeeping and made a second career out of it. Being just shy of 58 when I retired I wanted to keep busy as long as health or the good Lord will allow.

I'm intensely busy from mid May to the start of August, just plain old busy August to the first week of September, slow right down through to late September as I transition to hunting season and head towards Christmas. I'm hoping starting in February/March  2021 that the business will allow my bride and I to head to Florida for a 2 - 3 weeks where we can visit my son and daughter in law on the Gulf Coast. Then it starts all over.

I realize that I am blessed to have good health and a pension which not everyone has. But I think the key to a stress free retirement is having a plan years before the day comes and having a purpose when you wake up in the morning.  

I enjoyed following your journey Brewdude and the stories/advice of others. I hope all of us retirees have a long and happy retirement.
Back to top Go down
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Well said, Beeman. Enjoy the time off.

On a different note; I seem to be busier now and wonder how I was able to get anything done before. cheers
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Great to see this thread still active, including and especially the reports of those who have retired and are thriving. Happy to report that after a full year + I'm still digging the whole retirement concept.

Keeping plenty active with my music and exercising daily. Plus lots of reading. Pipe smoking has gone down significantly however as I now only smoke outside, and the temps have not been conducive. Most days I manage an early morning bowl but that might be it all day!

Cheers,

RR

The retirement thread - Page 3 Purple11x 3The retirement thread - Page 3 Bombx10The retirement thread - Page 3 Bombx10  The retirement thread - Page 3 D6bddf10 The retirement thread - Page 3 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d The retirement thread - Page 3 Cowboy13The retirement thread - Page 3 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
peanubutter

peanubutter

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Slowly moving southward in the camper trying to stay ahead of the rain and cold. A new location every few weeks provides us with a change of scenery and new experiences. I was able to bring my remaining cigars and all of the pipe tobacco along with several pipes but limited space dictated that some items had to remain in storage.
Back to top Go down
beeman86

beeman86

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 5:51 pm

Sounds like the right thing to do Peanubutter! Safe journeys and enjoy that warmth. I think I'll be turning on the furnace tonight for the first time this year.
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 9:45 pm

Wait the Canadian hasn't turned on the furnace yet?!?!? I had to get ours going last week because of freeze warnings and they're predicting snow tomorrow.

Safe travels to you Peanut butter, enjoy the better weather and remember us slobs that choose to live in the Arctic.

Jim
Back to top Go down
peanubutter

peanubutter

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 12:14 am

The 'big' move was back to Cheyenne this time for the wife and her medical appointment. Hope to meet up with some BoB members one day.
Back to top Go down
beeman86

beeman86

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 8:33 pm

Huffelpuff, we don't turn on the heat until ice forms in your drinking glass!
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 9:05 pm

I so look forward to the retirement times. Being able to pick up and leave whenever I want with out having to get permission. Enjoy the trip peanubutter
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 10:15 pm

Last edited by GeoffC on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 10:19 pm

GeoffC wrote:
D.L.Ruth wrote:
I so look forward to the retirement times. Being able to pick up and leave whenever I want with out having to get permission. Enjoy the trip peanubutter

How do you spell retirement?  P-O-W-E-R-B-A-L-L, or at least that what my financial planner tells me. lol!

Lol I've played once or twice, haven't won yet
Back to top Go down
peanubutter

peanubutter

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 12:03 pm

I get the occasional lottery ticket but no winnings over $5.00 so far. Enjoying the adventure so far even with a few issues on the camper. A heck of a lot better than working in a cubicle either way.
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 3:41 pm

beeman86 wrote:
Huffelpuff, we don't turn on the heat until ice forms in your drinking glass!

Funny you should say that. That's my life for most of the winter. SWMBO has the window open in the bedroom and a box fan on high 365 days a year. Doesn't matter if its -30f out or not. So yeah I save a ton on ice for my drinks.

Jim
Back to top Go down
peanubutter

peanubutter

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptyMon May 18, 2020 8:44 pm

The travels have been great so far. That is until the covid pandemic shutdown a number of places to stay. Even our own spot at an RV park would not open until the 15th of May. While we appreciate the KOA places staying open for travelers it does get expensive. I mean we have our 'house' with us and still get to pay $700+ a month. Crazy to spend that much for a site, right? Some RV parks shutdown while we were there and had to find another place to stay. So on our travels we found a small mobile home with a 1/2 acre of land, 2-car garage, and a covered storage for the RV. No grass to mow either. First world problems, I know. But we will have a place now if stuff shuts down again and get to spend the winter in sunny Arid-zona and summers in Wyoming.
Back to top Go down
PapaThermodyne

PapaThermodyne

Registration date : 2020-09-06

PostSubject: Retirement   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 06, 2020 4:21 pm

I was a patrol officer for about 7 years. I then went into the radio aspect of the job and became a 911 supervisor. I served in that capacity for 26 years and retired 5 years ago. Since that time, I've survived a heart attack, a triple bypass, an abdominal aortic aneurysm and kidney failure. I quit pipe smoking a few years ago and recently decided that I'm going to do it anyway. After a set of blood tests, my doctor approached me and said, " I don't know what it is you're doing but whatever it is keep doing it."And so I'm living the good life.
I despise facebook, and so here I am on a pipe forum. I'm seriously considering getting into ham radio. That seems like it would be a good hobby.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 06, 2020 8:51 pm

PapaThermodyne wrote:
I was a patrol officer for about 7 years. I then went into the radio aspect of the job and became a 911 supervisor. I served in that capacity for 26 years and retired 5 years ago. Since that time, I've survived a heart attack, a triple bypass, an abdominal aortic aneurysm and kidney failure. I quit pipe smoking a few years ago and recently decided that I'm going to do it anyway. After a set of blood tests, my doctor approached me and said, " I don't know what it is you're doing but whatever it is keep doing it."And so I'm living the good life.
I despise facebook, and so here I am on a pipe forum. I'm seriously considering getting into ham radio. That seems like it would be a good hobby.

Glad to have you aboard Papa. Sounds like you've been though the health ringer.

In any case I'm glad you joined our little group of miscreants, and I encourage you to post in the Welcome Wagon forum.

Cheers,

RR

The retirement thread - Page 3 Purple11x 3The retirement thread - Page 3 Bombx10The retirement thread - Page 3 Bombx10  The retirement thread - Page 3 D6bddf10 The retirement thread - Page 3 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d The retirement thread - Page 3 Cowboy13The retirement thread - Page 3 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
daveinlax

daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: The retirement thread   The retirement thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 06, 2020 9:33 pm

I plan on retiring November 1st after 38 years in The Operating Engineers. I will probably do something part time but it I don’t want the long weeks on the road anymore. Shocked
Back to top Go down

The retirement thread
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: