HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Melting Pipe Cake.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

Melting Pipe Cake. Empty
PostSubject: Melting Pipe Cake.   Melting Pipe Cake. EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm

It's so humid here because of the rain from the hurricane that I'm seeing the cake in a number of my pipes soften almost to the point of turning into liquid at the top of the bowls. Anybody else ever have this problem?
Back to top Go down
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

Melting Pipe Cake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melting Pipe Cake.   Melting Pipe Cake. EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Nope. Not here in CT. Knock, knock.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Melting Pipe Cake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melting Pipe Cake.   Melting Pipe Cake. EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Never even heard of that before. I wonder if cake built up primarily with VA vs Burley vs Cavendish vs Turkish (etc.) makes any difference.

Melting Pipe Cake. D6bddf10Melting Pipe Cake. 29400910Melting Pipe Cake. 114e6110Melting Pipe Cake. Ddb39b10Melting Pipe Cake. Cf77ce10Melting Pipe Cake. Dd692012Melting Pipe Cake. Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
JimInks

JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

Melting Pipe Cake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melting Pipe Cake.   Melting Pipe Cake. EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Never even heard of that before.  I wonder if cake built up primarily with VA vs Burley vs Cavendish vs Turkish (etc.) makes any difference.

I don't believe so given the variety of pipes that smoke a variety of blends that are having this problem. I'm taking a paper towel and wiping the moisture out of the bowls. There goes the cake!

Btw, none of my pipes have heavy cake. I always keep them reamed down.
Back to top Go down
lb

Registration date : 2011-10-30

Melting Pipe Cake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melting Pipe Cake.   Melting Pipe Cake. EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 2:42 pm

yes , it has happen to me. i also live in a very humid place. however , when i clean the bowl with paper towel , the cake is not removed. just a humid gunk is removed wich helps the cake to remain at the thickness i prefer (wich is very thin).
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Melting Pipe Cake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melting Pipe Cake.   Melting Pipe Cake. EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Brother Jim, now that's humidity!!! Holy water drops!! And, no, I have never experienced this phenomenon!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

Melting Pipe Cake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melting Pipe Cake.   Melting Pipe Cake. EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 5:09 pm

I have seen it get really soft when the humidity is high. I don't know if I have ever experienced anything like what you are seeing though!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
AlphaWarrior

AlphaWarrior

Registration date : 2015-10-19

Melting Pipe Cake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melting Pipe Cake.   Melting Pipe Cake. EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 10:17 pm

Happened to me today. Felt weird on my tamper going around the edges. Definitely hurricane related, I am near Augusta, GA.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Melting Pipe Cake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melting Pipe Cake.   Melting Pipe Cake. EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Maybe it has something to do with barometric pressure.

Melting Pipe Cake. D6bddf10Melting Pipe Cake. 29400910Melting Pipe Cake. 114e6110Melting Pipe Cake. Ddb39b10Melting Pipe Cake. Cf77ce10Melting Pipe Cake. Dd692012Melting Pipe Cake. Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

Melting Pipe Cake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melting Pipe Cake.   Melting Pipe Cake. EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 7:42 pm

Yes indeed, upon finishing a bowl I always take a paper towel or tissue and wipe the top of the bowl which invariably wipes the inside top cake as well.

Lotsa soft cake coming off with each swipe, which is fine.
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Melting Pipe Cake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melting Pipe Cake.   Melting Pipe Cake. EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 12:44 am

That happens to me in the really hot and humid days. I've had some days when smoking outside not only the cake softens, but the cob bowls do too! I don't smoke much those days, and try to keep my pipes near an air conditioner vent to keep them dry. Fortunately those days aren't often!
Back to top Go down

Melting Pipe Cake.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: