Cobs aren't that pretty to begin with, but if you want to spruce it up here is something you can do pretty easily.
Posted this elsewhere in fish's section.
1. First sand the cobs lightly using 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
2. Then apply Fiebings saddle tan stain to the cob and shank ( I usually put a pipecleaner through the shank with a bend on the
end to keep it from falling out, and for hanging it up to dry. Make sure you wear gloves.
3. Make sure you apply an even coat to the cob and shank. You may want to stain it twice to make sure you have an even coat.
4. Let it dry for several hours (if tacky, let it dry longer)
5. Apply Dura Clear High Gloss Polyurethane Gloss Varnish. Usually
6. Let dry for 3-4 hours to make sure it is dry to the touch.