What Are You Reading?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

What Are You Reading? Empty
PostSubject: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptySun Nov 26, 2017 8:44 pm

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyThu Nov 30, 2017 12:48 am

Einstein- His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson. Big-ass book
Back to top Go down
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 10:48 pm

Oliver Twist- Charles Dickens This is one of the books in my Mother's huge book
collection. She was an avid reader and I'm sure she read them all. When she
moved out by us, one of her requests was to get a house with an extra bedroom. That room was turned into a library. Every wall had shelves on it and there was also two rows of shelves up the middle of the room. And yes, the shelves were all filled with books!
Back to top Go down
CharlG

CharlG

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptySat Dec 02, 2017 4:10 am

Very cool! Both your mom and the book! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.goussardpipes.com/
GrampaGrossbart

GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 3:01 am

The Girl from Rawblood by Catriona Ward—a brilliant, atmospheric modern Gothic.
Back to top Go down
WandererOfWeirdPaths

WandererOfWeirdPaths

Registration date : 2015-01-26

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyTue Dec 05, 2017 2:35 pm

About to finish A God in The Shed by J-F Dubeau.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyWed Dec 06, 2017 8:30 pm

Several coffee table books on WWII. Plenty of pics. And commentary. From the local library.

Cheers,

RR

What Are You Reading? Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? Bombx10What Are You Reading? Bombx10  What Are You Reading? D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? Cowboy13What Are You Reading? 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Bemused

Bemused

Registration date : 2015-06-08

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 pm

What Are You Reading? 512utvvO3GL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyTue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 pm

What Are You Reading? 51AQPJVWHBL._AC_US218_

Got this from the local library. It's not the text of the book, rather it's an analysis that goes into the conditions and events that surrounded it. As I've been in a WWII kick right now, I figured I needed to check it out.

It clearly sets out the conditions that led up to this and the rise of the Nazi party. Very sobering!

This book makes it clear that the original 2-volume set of "Mein Kampf" was a disjointed and disassociated collection of rants, yet clearly spells out the blueprint that Hitler followed on his misguided and destructive quest for world domination.

No Cheers!

RR

What Are You Reading? Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? Bombx10What Are You Reading? Bombx10  What Are You Reading? D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? Cowboy13What Are You Reading? 4G80VIc

Back to top Go down
Navyflake

Navyflake

Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyTue Dec 12, 2017 10:04 pm

What Are You Reading? 51ur7f10
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake
JPatrick

JPatrick

Registration date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyTue Dec 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Navyflake wrote:
Wonderful series you're reading.
Back to top Go down
Navyflake

Navyflake

Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyTue Dec 12, 2017 10:37 pm

JPatrick wrote:
Navyflake wrote:
Wonderful series you're reading.

Absolutely agree. Very addicting reads ....

Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:23 pm

What Are You Reading? 51FH8CFR32L._AC_US218_

Now re-reading this for the umpteenth time. Guess I reach for it at least once/year and never get tired of it. Seems like I have whole passages of this memorized! Bryson at his best, IMO.

Sadly, the movie did not live up to the expectations I had. Despite Robert Redford and Nick Nolte in the key roles of Bryson and Kath, the screenplay was lacking and didn't follow many key elements that made the book so riveting.

Thankfully the book remains worth returning to again and again!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Over the break, I hope to get through 2 monographs on Roman history: (Praetorian by Guy de la Bedoyere; and The Fate of Rome by Kyle Harper; a biography of Maximinus Thrax (emperor 235-38) by Paul N. Pearson; and a novel I assigned next semester, Parable of Sower by Octavia E. Butler
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

One of the best books I have ever read. Being only 91 pages long, I'll likely read it multiple times.
Back to top Go down
JPatrick

JPatrick

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Evidence for Christianity by Josh McDowell
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 2:49 am

Brewdude wrote:
What Are You Reading? 51FH8CFR32L._AC_US218_

Now re-reading this for the umpteenth time. Guess I reach for it at least once/year and never get tired of it. Seems like I have whole passages of this memorized! Bryson at his best, IMO.

Sadly, the movie did not live up to the expectations I had. Despite Robert Redford and Nick Nolte in the key roles of Bryson and Kath, the screenplay was lacking and didn't follow many key elements that made the book so riveting.

Thankfully the book remains worth returning to again and again!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

I love this one too Rande. A giggle per page!
Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 10:54 pm

The End of Faith- Sam Harris
Back to top Go down
JPatrick

JPatrick

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 12:30 am

Mere Christian Apologetics by James Stroud
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 9:05 pm

What Are You Reading? 51pdj2jt7xL._AC_US218_

After having seen the movie several times, I figured it was finally time to read the book that inspired it.

Many more details revealed here, and also many inconsistencies with the filmed version! Have to say that at times, the author spun out too many pages of floridly written descriptions that frankly were largely lost or bordering on boring. I kept thinking that he could have used fewer words to say more.

But wtf do I know. I'm not some accredited and recognized critic with rave and celebrated reviews under his belt.

Still, I did enjoy it. And I might get in the movie from the library again soon.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 8:49 pm

What Are You Reading? 51hbIskpF3L._AC_US218_

Forgot to mention this one I read the other week.

"A Christmas Story" by Jean Sheppard is one of my most favourite books of all time, but for some reason I never read this one which supposedly was his prequel to the aforementioned.

Great book. Thoroughly enjoyable and recommended if this kind of writing is your fancy.

Need to get back and re-read "A Christmas Story". It's been many years.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptySat Dec 30, 2017 12:50 pm

I have the new Anne/Stan Rice book on the way. Ramses the Damned: The Passion of Cleopatra. So I re-read - Ramses the Damned: The Mummy.

And until it arrives, I am re-reading Anne Rice's - Servant of the Bones.

I want to re-read her Witch series. Yes, I am a fan of Anne Rice.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyTue Jan 02, 2018 8:38 pm

What Are You Reading? 51XSGncxZzL._AC_US218_

Just now reading "Last Call - The Rise and Fall of Prohibition" by one Daniel Okrent.

This is arguably the definitive and most comprehensive account of the events which led up to the enactment of the 18th amendment. And while I was familiar with some of the accounts, this book spells it out in exacting detail!

Very illuminating to see how contemporary issues of that era such as women's suffrage, the vote for blacks, and much more played into the hands of the drys.

Now only part of the way through, and it's a very big book at some 400+ pages in a large hard cover format. And admittedly, some of the text is dense with details - and the details have details. So a bit hard to follow at times for me. But I get the general idea, which is the main thing.  

In any case, if one wanted to know about this misguided period in US history this is the one to read!

drunken

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Just finished this fascinating account-

What Are You Reading? 410e829u5JL._AC_US218_

I've always been intrigued by this story, and have seen the flick as well as read various other accounts. But this is the quintessential document and should be read by anyone seeking the complete story, with myriad and full disclosures of all who were involved with Joseph Merrick, a.k.a. the Elephant Man.

This clearly serves to fill in all the details that were omitted in any other account. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
PipedJimmy

PipedJimmy

Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm listening to Greek myths retold by Stephen Fry read by the great man himself. Completely enthralling.
Back to top Go down

What Are You Reading?
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: