What Are You Reading?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 10:55 am

About half-way through "The Night Manager" by John le Carre. Always enjoyed his books, especially the George Smiley series. The book is no different, detailed, depth and complex.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 11:05 am

Brewdude wrote:
What Are You Reading? - Page 3 61eGuCnxZrL._AC_US218_

Shackleton's amazing account of his legendary antarctic expedition. Highly recommended.

+1. If you like Antarctic exploration (when are you leaving?  Laughing ), Roland Huntford's The Last Place on Earth is almost mandatory reading. Scary place.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Place-Earth-Amundsens-Exploration/dp/0375754741/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536073004&sr=1-1&keywords=the+last+place+on+earth
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Shackleton's amazing account of his legendary antarctic expedition. Highly recommended.

+1. If you like Antarctic exploration (when are you leaving?  Laughing ), Roland Huntford's The Last Place on Earth is almost mandatory reading. Scary place.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Place-Earth-Amundsens-Exploration/dp/0375754741/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536073004&sr=1-1&keywords=the+last+place+on+earth

A remarkable story indeed. I've read Alfred Lansing's account several times now. That he didn't lose one man and the chaps eagerly followed and respected him is testament to his leadership. His journey from Elephant Island to South G has to be one of the most remarkable pieces of sailing, navigation and endurance, ever.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
If you like Antarctic exploration (when are you leaving?  Laughing ), Roland Huntford's The Last Place on Earth is almost mandatory reading. Scary place.

Just checked and my library system does not carry it. May need to get a paperback in from Amazon. Sounds like I'd like it.

Stick wrote:
A remarkable story indeed. I've read Alfred Lansing's account several times now. That he didn't lose one man and the chaps eagerly followed and respected him is testament to his leadership. His journey from Elephant Island to South G has to be one of the most remarkable pieces of sailing, navigation and endurance, ever.

My library had Lansing's account so just placed a request for this. Great to get another perspective. Thanks for the prompt mate!

Cheers,

RR

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 3 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 3 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 3 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 3 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 3 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 3 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 09, 2018 8:57 am

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 41gPZJFfzTL._AC_US218_

Just finished this and have to say if it's not already considered the quintessential account of this slice of history it ought to be. Gripping and graphic.

Cheers,

RR

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 3 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 3 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 3 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 3 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 3 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 3 4G80VIc

Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2018 7:28 am

Brewdude wrote:

Cool

Cheers,

RR

I recently purchased a few books about polar expeditions.  Can't wait to start them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 9:22 am

[quote="Brewdude"]What Are You Reading? - Page 3 41gPZJFfzTL._AC_US218_

Just finished this and have to say if it's not already considered the quintessential account of this slice of history it ought to be. Gripping and graphic.

Cheers,

RR

Stephen Ambrose is one of my preferred authors for all things Op Overlord and the Europe offensive.  If you've not read it already Rande, check out his book Pegasus Bridge.  Another remarkable story.  I was there a few weeks ago with the family having first visited in '84 whilst the original bridge was still in place across the canal.  I met with Arlette Gondree again, the daughter of the proprietor of the Café Gondree, the first house to be liberated on D Day.  She was 5 on the evening of the operation and remembers it well.  She's 80+ now but still sparking on all 4 and has a glamorous Hollywood look about her.  A truly remarkable lady who has much time for members of the military both serving and retired.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 10:53 am

Stick wrote:
Stephen Ambrose is one of my preferred authors for all things Op Overlord and the Europe offensive.  If you've not read it already Rande, check out his book Pegasus Bridge.  Another remarkable story.

I will indeed check this account out. Thanks for the prompt mate.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 7:47 am

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 5172dBvaxAL._AC_US218_

Great follow up to Shackelto's gripping account of this legendary expedition. This book has much more in the way of the details the men suffered during their trials on the ice, including and especially the desperate journey made to make a whaling station and civilization.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 10:04 am

Brewdude wrote:

Great follow up to Shackelto's gripping account of this legendary expedition. This book has much more in the way of the details the men suffered during their trials on the ice, including and especially the desperate journey made to make a whaling station and civilization.

Cheers,

RR

I actually bought this one. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World by Sir Edward S Creasy. The 1957 edition which is closer to the original 1850's version.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2018 3:06 pm

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 51wNikqr4BL._AC_US218_

Saw the old B&W movie of this way long ago, and unfortunately my library doesn't have it on DVD so decided to read the book instead. Have to admit I did enjoy it, even though I didn't realize it was primarily about a young girl growing up in Brooklyn. I only really remembered the happy-go-lucky drunk of a father she had!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2018 7:26 pm

'My Twenty-five Years in Provence' by Peter Mayle. I had read 'A Year in Provence' and the sequels years ago. I lost all of them amongst the many books I lost in Hurricane Katrina. It's good revisiting the topic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 2:18 pm

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 51apWCn4yiL._AC_US218_

Just completed this as a result of brother Stick's recommendation. Very clear and concise account of what immediately preceded the D-Day invasion. Highly recommended if you are a WWII aficionado.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Brewdude wrote:
What Are You Reading? - Page 3 51apWCn4yiL._AC_US218_

Just completed this as a result of brother Stick's recommendation. Very clear and concise account of what immediately preceded the D-Day invasion. Highly recommended if you are a WWII aficionado.

Cheers,

RR

Good one Rande. You may be interested to know that I grew up in Exeter and used to fish on both the River Exe and the canal in exactly the spot where the Ox and Bucks under John Howard trained. Of course, at the time when I was pulling perch out of the canal I had no idea. As you'll recall from reading the book, this was the only place in the UK that replicated the lay of the land in Benouville, i.e., a river running parallel to a canal with a bridge over each.
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 3:51 pm

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 2005_010

Here's me with Arlette in 2005.  The chap sat to my left passed away a few years ago.  He was a member of the British special forces who settled in the area after the war and who played a part in the assault on the bridges.

This second picture shows the places where the numbers 1 and 2 gliders came to rest; 2 in the foreground, and 1 with John Howard on board in the middle distance.  You can see a bust of John Howard next to it.  The bridge is a replica of the original which now resides in the museum 100 yards away.  Remarkable how close the first glider got to the bridge flying at night on a compass bearing and stopwatch.

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 2005_011

Glad you enjoyed the book, Rande. Need to think of another recommendation!!!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Stick wrote:
What Are You Reading? - Page 3 2005_010

Here's me with Arlette in 2005.  The chap sat to my left passed away a few years ago.  He was a member of the British special forces who settled in the area after the war and who played a part in the assault on the bridges.

This second picture shows the places where the numbers 1 and 2 gliders came to rest; 2 in the foreground, and 1 with John Howard on board in the middle distance.  You can see a bust of John Howard next to it.  The bridge is a replica of the original which now resides in the museum 100 yards away.  Remarkable how close the first glider got to the bridge flying at night on a compass bearing and stopwatch.

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 2005_011

Glad you enjoyed the book, Rande.  Need to think of another recommendation!!!

Splendid pics mate, really first rate.  Cool

Jolly good, that. And you're quite the dashing chappie aren't you! Wink

And I'd love a new rec if you have one in you. In the meantime here's what I've been absorbed in-

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 51mhfLt2oQL._AC_US218_

Fascinating reading. Details the apprehension of Adolph Eichmann, among other gripping stories. And one of them is the reference of the autobiography of Rudolph Höss, who was Camp Commandant of Auschwitz and who wrote up his detailed account of the killing machine he commanded while he was awaiting trial which he eventually hanged for.

Sadly this book is not available through my library, and I'm not inclined to get a hard copy in through Amazon, however inexpensive it may be. Frankly, this first-person account might well prove to be more than I bargained for or want know.

No

Moving on, I'm now onto this-

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 51jWbpkqd2L._AC_US218_

Just only started it. And no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 30, 2018 2:23 pm

“The Sisters Brothers” by Patrick DeWitt
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Brewdude wrote:

And I'd love a new rec if you have one in you.

Cheers,

RR

Hey Rande,

Oooooo, I've got loads up my sleeve!

For a change in pace, how about a modern mountaineering epic...

Touching the Void, by Joe Simpson.

… I doubt you'll be disappointed.  Smile
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 5:04 pm

"Call It Sleep" by Henry Roth.
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Davy Jones wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Cheers,

RR

Such a great read, I've read the book and listened to the audible version. An amazing story of survival, and just how strong the human will can be. Could only imagine.
Back to top Go down
whitebriar

whitebriar

Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: What Are You Reading?    What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 5:19 pm

just beginning--25 pages into---TIME and NAVIGATION: Johnston, Connor, Stephens and Ceruzzi
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Finishing Dan Brown's Origin. Nice fast pace storyline as always. I usually end up looking at architectural buildings and artwork on Google every time I read one of his books

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 5:53 pm

D.L.Ruth wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Cheers,

RR

Such a great read, I've read the book and listened to the audible version. An amazing story of survival, and just how strong the human will can be. Could only imagine.

Didn't have time to read it yet..I started Peter Ackroyd's series on the story of England and that will take me a while to go through.

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 12500310
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Just started this-

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 41bF-0YMHSL._AC_US218_

Only a little way in, but so far it's a fascinating read!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down

What Are You Reading?
Page 3 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: