What Are You Reading?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Just started this-

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 41bF-0YMHSL._AC_US218_

Only a little way in, but so far it's a fascinating read!

Certainly a classic!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Stick wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

And I'd love a new rec if you have one in you.

Cheers,

RR

Hey Rande,

Oooooo, I've got loads up my sleeve!

For a change in pace, how about a modern mountaineering epic...

Touching the Void, by Joe Simpson.

… I doubt you'll be disappointed.  Smile

Can't think how I missed this, but just put in a request from my local library. Thanks mate, you haven't steered me wrong yet.

In the meantime, I'm firmly stuck into this and will take some little time to get through it. It's very comprehensive and one has to read slowly and carefully to take it all in!

Cheers,

RR

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 4 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 4 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 4 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Davy Jones wrote:
I started Peter Ackroyd's series on the story of England and that will take me a while to go through.

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 12500310

Actually just got this in from my library. Looking forward to it. Thanks mate!

Cheers,

RR

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 4 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 4 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 4 4G80VIc

Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 pm

This is more my kind of Foundation...

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 E57de810

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 D6bddf10What Are You Reading? - Page 4 29400910What Are You Reading? - Page 4 114e6110What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Ddb39b10What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Cf77ce10What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Dd692012What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Really though, just bought this one through Amazon with a gift card. This book literally carried me through a year of college Physics. Asimov clearly explains all the underlying concepts involved in the various elements of motion, electricity, nuclear physics, etc. so that normal humans can understand what’s going on. Using this, in conjunction with lectures and the assigned text I got the highest score on the final in Nuclear Physics...because the Prof. gave an essay test, asking us to EXPLAIN what was going on. Brilliant. All the pre-med and math majors were literally crying during the test. It was a beautiful thing. At the time I was a Fine Arts major. To this day I consider that test to be one of my life’s significant achievements. I was, and am, a lifelong math phobic. Flunked Algebra. Flunked Geometry. But Asimov brought clarity to this visual learner.

Chemistry is still like Chinese to me though. Oh well.

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 7ca03710

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 D6bddf10What Are You Reading? - Page 4 29400910What Are You Reading? - Page 4 114e6110What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Ddb39b10What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Cf77ce10What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Dd692012What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2018 1:57 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
This is more my kind of Foundation...

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 E57de810

Read those as a kid. Great series!
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Just started this-

Cheers,

RR

Thanks to you, I bought it and received it today.
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Currently into L'expédition allemande à l'île d'Anticosti (The German Expedition to Anticosti Island).

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 L9782810
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 7:58 pm

Davy Jones wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Just started this-

Cheers,

RR

Thanks to you, I bought it and received it today.

And just today, I finally finished it!

Have to say that it was a very long and detailed read. At times I got bogged down in the details and footnotes, of which there are plenty. In this, one has to read carefully.

Being as the author was actually present during this period as a correspondent and personally witnessed much of what transpired, as well as having direct access to the captured documents I can only conclude that his account is an accurate one.  

It's very graphic in part and quite sobering. One of the most gripping accounts of the period I've read.

Highly recommended, but do set aside some time for this.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Just starting Fezziwig: A Life by Danny Kuhn

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Fezziw10
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 2:13 pm

So, is “Fezziwig” very Dickens in style and character...or is it something else entirely?

Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
So, is “Fezziwig” very Dickens in style and character...or is it something else entirely?

Yes, it is a novel based on the Fezziwig from Dicken's A Christmas Carol. I love Dicken's novels, so I'm really looking forward to this. I have heard some really good reviews of it. I will update as I progress.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Rogue Protocol: The Murderbot Diaries - Kindle Edition

Rogue Protocol is the third entry in Martha Wells's
Hugo, Nebula, Alex, and Locus Award-winning,
New York Times and USA Today bestselling series,
The Murderbot Diaries.

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 69436310

Martha Wells is one of the most loved SciFi authors...
rivaling Lois McMaster Bujold for the queen’s crown.

Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 8:10 pm

SimpleMan...I think my favorite Dickens is (are) The Pickwick Papers. With all his ponderous grim stories it’s good to know the great Dickens had both a subtle and slapstick sense of humor.

Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
SimpleMan...I think my favorite Dickens is (are) The Pickwick Papers. With all his ponderous grim stories it’s good to know the great Dickens had both a subtle and slapstick sense of humor.

Yes, very good. I read The Pickwick Papers for the first time Summer before last. Thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorites still remain A Christmas Carol (the book is so much better than any of the movies) and David Copperfield. I also enjoy The Old Curiosity Shop. I guess I am just an old soul. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 12:53 pm

I discovered that I had downloaded the 4th in the series...”Exit Trategies: The Murderbot Diaries. Finished that one too. Really well written and fun series.

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 C85fd610

I finally pulled up a novella I have been saving for some time...”The Flowers of Vashnoi: Vorkosigan Saga”. (Kindle) The Vorkosigan Saga was the recipient of the first Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Series. That was 2017.

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 F0b02510

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Stick wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Cheers,

RR

Hey Rande,

Read "Touching the Void" recently guv'nor. Held my interest right enough, but have to admit that much of the technical jargon was lost on me as I'm not a climber as you are. Still, I got the general idea and it was amazing that the author managed it at all!

I've tried to get in the movie but sadly it isn't available through my local library. Pity, that. Great rec though mate and keep them coming!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 am

Brewdude wrote:
Stick wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Cheers,

RR

Hey Rande,

Read "Touching the Void" recently guv'nor. Held my interest right enough, but have to admit that much of the technical jargon was lost on me as I'm not a climber as you are. Still, I got the general idea and it was amazing that the author managed it at all!

I've tried to get in the movie but sadly it isn't available through my local library. Pity, that. Great rec though mate and keep them coming!

Cheers,

RR

Well done mate. I've met both Joe Simpson and Simon Yates; both interesting and very different characters. The film would be great as it would fill in the technical gaps that you allude to.
Back to top Go down
leonardbill1

leonardbill1

Registration date : 2018-02-22

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 11, 2018 2:25 am

Introduction to Tantra by Sir John Woodroffe.
Back to top Go down
http://billleonard.net
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2018 12:37 am

A novel that George Orwell once referred to as “a dirty book worth reading.” Henry Miller’s “Tropic of Cancer.”
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2018 6:57 am

Giving To The edges of The Earth a shot...

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 35430510

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2018 7:17 pm

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 516jj8i8TsL._AC_US218_

Just finished reading this. It's an unauthorized bio of Stevie Nicks and her ascendancy to the the fairy godmother of R&R through Buckingham/Nicks in the pre-Fleetwood Mac Days through her solo career and up to the present.

She has embarked on a fresh Fleetwood Mac tour which will bring her to Phoenix this coming week and has all the original band members save for Lindsay Buckingham. I'm strongly considering attending as the "Mac" was one of my favorite mid-70's pop rock bands.

Apparently Stevie is pushing 70 and this may be one of the last chances anyone will get of seeing her and the band performing the old tunes that are much loved by many, including myself!

This book makes fascinating reading for a fan like me.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 01, 2018 8:25 am

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 5100NmA6OjL._AC_US218_

This most excellent biography of Sir George Martin's meteoric career was fascinating and detail oriented. It cronicles his rise to fame starting with his pre-studio days and concludes around the production of Rubber Soul. I have the next series on reserve from the library and am looking forward to it.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 11:45 pm

Mark Twain’s “Roughing It.”
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 6:50 pm

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 51Lg8uoYcgL._AC_US218_

Fascinating account of the 1933 Worlds Fair and how it was planned and built during the worst years of the great depression. And at the same time crime boss Al Capone was running all the operations that brought illegal booze to the speakeasies, since this was during the final years of Prohibition.

Well written if not a little over-dramatic at times. Sure held my interest though.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down

What Are You Reading?
Page 4 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: