HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rush hour traffic

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Rush hour traffic Empty
PostSubject: Rush hour traffic   Rush hour traffic EmptyFri May 24, 2019 6:08 pm

on Mount Everest....who would have thought?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48401491
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Rush hour traffic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rush hour traffic   Rush hour traffic EmptyFri May 24, 2019 10:45 pm

People are dying to see the view. Amazing that folks will queue up like that up there.

Yah,. Like rush hour traffic, but when you run out of gas up there, you die!
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

Rush hour traffic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rush hour traffic   Rush hour traffic EmptyFri May 24, 2019 11:09 pm

And that is a solid nope!  Safe to say that would not be on my bucket list.
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

Rush hour traffic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rush hour traffic   Rush hour traffic EmptyFri May 24, 2019 11:55 pm

Never imagined it like that! Almost seems like a miserable trip. I guess I'll have to try it in the middle of winter when nobody else is foolish enough to try lol!
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

Rush hour traffic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rush hour traffic   Rush hour traffic EmptySat May 25, 2019 6:20 am

Yes, not good. This is the result of the tension between tourism, safety, and sustainability.

I see the same happening here in the UK. My local National Park is Snowdonia in Wales which is two hours from me. Snowdon is the highest summit and it is mobbed during the summer; my worse nightmare and so is rarely visited by me. I always head to the quieter corners that I've discovered over the years where it's rare I'll see anyone.

I took an exped to the Himalaya in '99 and we headed to the Kanchenjunga region in the NE. I recon I saw 5 other westerners in the month I was out there.

Yup, it's posing a huge problem at the moment. Imagine how much waste that many people generate. Seen some v worying pics of the waste, including bodies, left at the South Col.
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

Rush hour traffic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rush hour traffic   Rush hour traffic EmptySat May 25, 2019 11:55 am

Stick wrote:
Yup, it's posing a huge problem at the moment. Imagine how much waste that many people generate. Seen some v worying pics of the waste, including bodies, left at the South Col.
It's a garbage dump. Human waste and oxygen tanks in mounds. Almost anyone with money can climb Everest. It takes little actual climbing skill. So with little other requirement than having the income, the question becomes: is human life worth gambling to carry the garbage and bodies off the mountain? The answer has been: No. Don't get me wrong. Everest is said to require a good level of athleticism/health, but in actual terms of climbing, it's not there. It's one contributing reason why things get pushed further by so many trying to do it without oxygen tanks. It might not require climbing skill, but to say you've climbed without the aid of additional oxygen says a little something about your body makeup and constitution.

The real kicker, at least for me, is within the same mountain range as Everest is K2. It's around 750ft shorter than Everest, but it requires a high level of climbing and mountaineering skill. A small percentage of people who "climb" Everest have anywhere the capacity to attempt K2. So, in reality, if you're looking for honest glory and a true accomplishment, you attempt to summit K2.
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Rush hour traffic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rush hour traffic   Rush hour traffic EmptySun May 26, 2019 6:09 pm

By the way, I believe the line of "climbers" you see in that photo are like that because of the bottleneck at the Hillary Step, because you have to go one at a time up and down it. I'm surprised that article neither mentions the Hillary Step nor the bottlenecking at certain points on the mountain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Step
Back to top Go down
Bub

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Rush hour traffic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rush hour traffic   Rush hour traffic EmptyMon May 27, 2019 8:51 pm

Doesn't look any better

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/columnists/article-7073081/BEN-FOGLE-Mount-Everests-overcrowding-claim-lives.html

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/colorado-climber-dies-reaching-top-mount-everest-63310099

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-bodies-ten-tonnes-rubbish-everest.html
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Rush hour traffic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rush hour traffic   Rush hour traffic EmptyTue May 28, 2019 11:44 am

I can't believe how much this is in the news. I think they covered it every night last week on the major networks nightly news. The only thing new about any of this is their decision to cover it. People die up there in numbers every year. People with too much money and not enough skill, or not in good enough health, are given permits every year. They come to the region like privileged brats and act accordingly. It's a cash cow that has created an entire economy that has proven to have serious consequences, and nobody knows how to get a handle on it, though it is nice to read they're trying to clean up the waste up there (thanks for that article).

If you want to read an interesting story about Everest, look up Melissa Arnot. She's a climber and professional guide. Unfortunately, she'll probably eventually die on that mountain because of a wrong client or one of these human-made situations. Mountaineering is an obviously dangerous business to begin with, but the economic monster Everest has become is a whole other creature.
Back to top Go down
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

Rush hour traffic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rush hour traffic   Rush hour traffic EmptyTue May 28, 2019 6:09 pm

I would honestly have to second that I wouldn't even think about climbing such a dangerous mountain without many years of training and experience and to put somebody's life at risk for a dollar is not only selfish but not very professional if these people think for a moment that is just bragging rights that they're after they are foolish there is a thin line between bravery and stupidity and these people are crossing it this mountain is not a joke many very experienced people have died on it so I'm not sure what's going through these people's minds that have never climbed but have enough money to get a permit it's a sad sad cruel joke if you ask me
Back to top Go down

Rush hour traffic
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: