HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Our corpse flower

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Our corpse flower Empty
PostSubject: Our corpse flower   Our corpse flower EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 10:46 am

https://fox2now.com/2019/07/01/corpse-flower-to-bloom-at-missouri-botanical-garden/

We also have a corpse flower cam:
https://livestream.com/accounts/20357806/events/8730969
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Our corpse flower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our corpse flower   Our corpse flower EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 11:24 am

I recall seeing one at Kew Gardens in greater London some years ago. It had bloomed a few days earlier but didn't have any aroma when I was there. Very impressive size though!

Cheers,

RR

Our corpse flower Purple11x 3Our corpse flower Bombx10Our corpse flower Bombx10  Our corpse flower D6bddf10 Our corpse flower 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Our corpse flower Cowboy13Our corpse flower 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Our corpse flower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our corpse flower   Our corpse flower EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 11:46 am

Yup. They're huge too!
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

Our corpse flower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our corpse flower   Our corpse flower EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 4:42 pm

Tell me more, Bub. What on earth is it?! I'm guessing 'corpse' because it pen and inks?
Back to top Go down
Bub

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Our corpse flower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our corpse flower   Our corpse flower EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 6:31 pm

Here is the explanation:

Corpse flower or titan-arum (Amorphophallus titanum) is native to the island of Sumatra in Indonesia. Its enormous flower spike is the largest unbranched inflorescence (flower structure) in the Plant Kingdom.

Due to its odor, which is like the smell of a rotting corpse or carcass, the titan arum is characterized as a carrion flower, and is also known as the corpse flower or corpse plant (Indonesian: bunga bangkai – bunga means flower, while bangkai can be translated as corpse, cadaver, or carrion).

Carrion flowers, also known as corpse flowers or stinking flowers, are flowers that emit an odor that smells like rotting flesh. Carrion flowers attract mostly scavenging flies and beetles as pollinators. Some species may trap the insects temporarily to ensure the gathering and transfer of pollen.

It only gets worse:

Cadaverine and putrescine smell like rotting flesh. Skatole has a strong feces odor. Indole has a mustier, mothball-like smell. Hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs.
Back to top Go down
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

Our corpse flower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our corpse flower   Our corpse flower EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 9:21 pm

My last couple trips to St. Louis the wife and I have talked about going to the gardens but haven’t madd it there yet. Everyone I’ve talked to about the place have said it’s beautiful there. Seems like I always end up at the Budweiser brewery.
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

Our corpse flower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our corpse flower   Our corpse flower EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 11:19 pm

They are spectacular to see but I will pass on the aroma. I worked with enough rotting corpses in my job I really don't need to relive the smell.

I will be keeping an eye on the flower cam though. Thanks for the heads up!

Jim
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Our corpse flower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our corpse flower   Our corpse flower EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 9:50 am

Sincere congrats on your fine corpse...thing.

Our corpse flower D6bddf10Our corpse flower 29400910Our corpse flower 114e6110Our corpse flower Ddb39b10Our corpse flower Cf77ce10Our corpse flower Dd692012Our corpse flower Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Our corpse flower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our corpse flower   Our corpse flower EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 11:59 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
They are spectacular to see but I will pass on the aroma. I worked with enough rotting corpses in my job I really don't need to relive the smell.

I will be keeping an eye on the flower cam though. Thanks for the heads up!

Jim

Yah, they don't smell great. No
Back to top Go down
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

Our corpse flower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our corpse flower   Our corpse flower EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 8:01 pm

I’ve been watching the live feed at night just to check on the flower. I just opened the live feed a few minutes ago and WOW! Compared to the women that walked by it that thing is huge. I had no idea it was that big. Big flower Big stink.
Back to top Go down

Our corpse flower
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: