A treasure...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idlefellow

Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

A treasure... Empty
PostSubject: A treasure...   A treasure... EmptySun Jan 26, 2020 1:01 pm

My wife's youngest brother is an artisan and a craftsman - he makes and sells cool bowls made from old lariat ropes, beautiful wood boxes, jewelry carved from antler, etc.   Years ago I saw some beautiful pipes made by Richard Seyfried from elk antler and he and I talked about them a couple times.  Recently a mystery package arrived with his address in the return; I opened it and was surprised to find this pipe and stand enclosed...

A treasure... Ifp37xrl

It's his first attempt at a pipe and I think it came out quite well!  A treasure to me for sure...
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

A treasure... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A treasure...   A treasure... EmptySun Jan 26, 2020 1:15 pm

That looks great. Never heard of using antler before. Let us know how it smokes and if the antler affects the flavor.

Cheers,

RR

A treasure... Purple11x 3A treasure... Bombx10A treasure... Bombx10  A treasure... D6bddf10 A treasure... 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d A treasure... Cowboy13A treasure... 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

A treasure... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A treasure...   A treasure... EmptySun Jan 26, 2020 1:50 pm

I've seen some nice antler bowls made for other smoking, but they weren't used for prolonged heat. I'm normally anti-coating, but in this instance, if it were me, I'd try pre-coating before smoking. Maybe some honey and ash or carbon scrapings from another pipe cleaning. I'm sure some guys on here have ideas for coating that are better than those. I don't think bone is as hardy as one might think. It burns.
Back to top Go down
Idlefellow

Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

A treasure... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A treasure...   A treasure... EmptySun Jan 26, 2020 2:37 pm

I agree Zeno. The elk antler pipes a saw years ago had briar bowls fitted; I've also seen some antler pipes that say they have been coated inside with a concoction made of ground meerschaum, probably like the molded "meerschaum" pipes some makers have offered. Until (and IF) I decide to so something similar I think this one will just be for display.
Back to top Go down

A treasure...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: