HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alexander The Great Recommendation?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
wintermute

Registration date : 2009-04-21

Alexander The Great Recommendation? Empty
PostSubject: Alexander The Great Recommendation?   Alexander The Great Recommendation? EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 11:07 am

Anyone have a recommendation for a book on the military campaigns of Alexander? Good maps are a must. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
babysinister

babysinister

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Alexander The Great Recommendation?   Alexander The Great Recommendation? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:30 pm

The best introduction is probably the Campaigns of Alexander the Great installment of the Osprey Military Campaign series. It's focused concisely on the military campaigns, a bit less on the other biograpnical aspects. This short book is full of battle and campaign maps as well as detailed illustrations of the different soldiers and weapons used: hypaspists, phalanx, Persian Immortals and Macedonian Companions, the sarissa, Alexander's cavalry, etc. The best full formal biography, IMO, is the one by Peter Green, which I believe is the standard modern text. Also, of course the documentary In Search of Alexander and the book based on that BBC series.
Back to top Go down
babysinister

babysinister

PostSubject: Re: Alexander The Great Recommendation?   Alexander The Great Recommendation? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Begin this link, then look for other similar titles: http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Great-War-battles-Military/dp/1846033284/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244683967&sr=1-5
Back to top Go down
the macdonald

the macdonald

Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Alexander The Great Recommendation?   Alexander The Great Recommendation? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 11:13 am

I have the Napoleon book from the Osprey Military Campaign series. They do a great job just delivering the facts. This one includes lots of dispatches from Napoleon that are as entertaining as informational. He tells his brother, while trying to not loose Spain, do what I tell you and wewill win, do what you want and you will loose.
Back to top Go down
babysinister

babysinister

PostSubject: Re: Alexander The Great Recommendation?   Alexander The Great Recommendation? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 12:10 pm

He should have said instead: "Do what you want, and I will replace you before we lose!" But that's a good quote. All Ospreys are a great introduction to generals, campaigns and battles. I read one of their battle books, this one on Hannibal's incredible triumph at the Battle of Cannae against the Romans. These books really come into their own because their graphic-intense format allows readers to clearly visualize what they're reading in the text. Also, there's no discursive fat in these books: they deliver what you're looking for and what you need to know about a specific subject.
Back to top Go down
wintermute

Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Alexander The Great Recommendation?   Alexander The Great Recommendation? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Oh yeah, Osprey! I have a bunch of their books regarding the Napoleonic Wars, all being in the Campaign series, and thus not very long. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to pick it up in my next order.
Back to top Go down
momus

momus

Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Alexander The Great Recommendation?   Alexander The Great Recommendation? EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 6:31 pm

This is an old post...but, heck, read Arrian's account of Alexander. Its where historians get 80 percent of their info about him anyway.
Back to top Go down
OldWorldMonkey

OldWorldMonkey

Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Alexander The Great Recommendation?   Alexander The Great Recommendation? EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 11:36 pm

As an historian I recommend Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army which focuses less on glory and more on what truly mattered in the case of Alexander.
Back to top Go down
http://Twitter.com/OldWorldMonkey
alfredo_buscatti

alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Alexander The Great Recommendation?   Alexander The Great Recommendation? EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 11:44 am

Mary Renault's novel on Alexander might give you a different perspective, but in all honesty, the other titles suggested above would seem to be more of a fit for your stated need.
Back to top Go down

Alexander The Great Recommendation?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: