What Are You Reading?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

What Are You Reading? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 6:41 pm

Rereading the Pickwick Papers for the thousandth time.
The complete works of EAP for the 9th time.
and The Dain Curse.
Back to top Go down
Professor_Briar

Professor_Briar

Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Neal Stephenson and Terry P.   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 9:19 am

Neal Stephenson's "Anathem" continues his contribution to the literary world. Frequently confusing, especially the ending, but enjoyable and well worth the effort. I became a fan of his with his first novel, "The Big U" which was amazing fun to read. I think I may have been in grad school at the time it was published (1980's) so it related well to the challenge at that time.
Currently reading Terry P's "Making Money" so another vote for that one - Pratchett is a wonderful writer who employs english to its full advantage.
Back to top Go down
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 9:27 am

Moved on to the Moviegoer-Walker Percy
Quite possibly my favorite novel.
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 10:54 am

Picked up a copy of Hackers The Ultimate Pipe Book on Amazon.com, turning out to be a pretty interesting book.

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 7:14 pm

Just completed The General's Daughter. Seen the movie years ago, figured I'd read the book. Fine read, good novel, excellent author.
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 9:43 pm

I have been carefully reading "The Man Who Moved A Mountain" that was gifted to me by a BoB. It is an outstanding biography about Bob Childress who was a minister in the area where my father was raised. An outstanding book!
Back to top Go down
http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
CPT/VSG

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 11:10 am

Reading Vladimir Nabokov's Speak, Memory, which begins:

"The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness. Although the two are identical twins, man, as a rule, views the prenatal abyss with more calm than the one he is heading for (at some forty-five hundred hearbeats an hour)."
Back to top Go down
http://www.treneff.com
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 9:40 pm

I'm enthralled by Einsteins Theory of Special Relativity,,,mind boggling, the space-time-speed inter relationship is hard to grasp
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Just started J.G. Ballard's Kingdom Come. Ballard is a favorite (wrote my thesis on his early work) and he's in good form, very lucid and paranoid and unsettling. It concerns shoppin malls and mob mentalities.

Also, an expected cameo by pipe material: the protagonist's father is murdered (randomly) by a gunman on a trip to the tobacconist to pick up his favorite Dunhill mixture. Another plus for online ordering, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 8:48 am

Started "The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism" by Andrew Bacevich. An intelligent take on the current crisis.
Back to top Go down
CPT/VSG

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 11:32 am

Reading Denis Johnson's Tree of Smoke, a Vietnam novel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.treneff.com
SmokeyTweed

SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 7:32 pm

I just finished the Dark Tower series today and while the ending was not all i hoped for in the end it was the most fitting and i will now continue to speak Stephen King's praises. An absolutley kick ass read!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 10:58 am

The Secret History of the American Empire: The Truth About Economic Hit Men, Jackals, and How to Change the World by John Perkins
A highly recommended read.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 12:14 pm

/\\
Finished that one. Excellent read, Highly recommended.
Just started Confessions of an Economic Hit Man also by John Perkins. study
Back to top Go down
jmallen5

jmallen5

Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 12:25 pm

The great hunt, book two of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyFri May 29, 2009 10:20 am

Just received and started reading The Health Benefits of Tobacco:A Smokers Paradox by Dr. William Douglas. An excellent in depth study of medical reports and reporting that are controlled by the drug and insurance industry and their loathing of smoking and smokers; and the lies and discrimination being fed to the public by them and their controlled media outlets. Dr. Douglas' remedy for most everything: "smoke three stogies a day, but don't inhale". He believes and uses medical evidence to argue that Tobacco used in moderation actually has many health benefits. He does push cigars as that's his preference, but mentions pipes and cigarettes as well. Highly recommended reading for those who must defend their hobby before family & friends. I got mine through Amazon for $27 last week but notice now they have shot up to $65, I guess the puppet masters are trying to keep it from the masses Twisted Evil .
Back to top Go down
Al in Canada

Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: finished, starting, looking for   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySat May 30, 2009 1:36 am

I just finished "The Trigger" by Arthur C. Clarke & Michael Kube-McDowell. SF novel about the problems and reactions to the invention of a device that incapacitates Guns and any other Nitrate based explosive weapon. Explores how it affects the politicians, the military, the police, criminals, NRA, and everyone else. Well thought out exploration of the "what if" of an invention that some people would think of as a "dream come true" and others a "nightmare".

Just starting Carl Sagan & Ann Druyan's "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors: A Search for who We Are".

With all the references to Holmes I have decided to root out my copies of the "Solar Pons" stories of August Derleth. For those of you who hunger for "more" Holmes stories, Derleth wrote a good pastiche starring Solar Pons. Derleth is better known today as the publisher of H. P. Lovecraft, than for his own writing, which was prolific. http://www.derleth.org/autobiog.htm

With the recent death of a friend who introduced me to Louis L'amour's novels i will be working my way through them again this summer, probably starting with Sackett novels.

Al (in Canada)
Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!
kilted1

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySat May 30, 2009 1:54 am

Recently finished 'A Rumor of War' by Philip Caputo, currently reading 'The Confessions of Nat Turner' By William Styron. Man I hope there are books in 'the next place' so many to read, so little time ...
Back to top Go down
Winslow

Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 3:11 pm

War Without Garlands by Kershaw.War on the Eastern Front 1941-42.
Interesting read if you like Military History,soldier's viewpoint of the war.

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 7:41 pm

Just finished a reread of the Hobbitt and the LOTR trilogy. Now reading Icewind Dale Trilogy. On a real fantasy kick lately. Any recommendations for "got to read" fantasy would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
flytyer

flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Just finished Public Enemies-Americas Greatest Crime Wave and The
Birth of The F.B.I. 1933-34
Was a decent read and well researched, but for some reason i dont think the movie is going to capture what the book did.
Back to top Go down
SmokeyTweed

SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 11:27 pm

Tennessee Dave wrote:
Just finished a reread of the Hobbitt and the LOTR trilogy. Now reading Icewind Dale Trilogy. On a real fantasy kick lately. Any recommendations for "got to read" fantasy would be appreciated.

You'll love the icewind dale trilogy but you should really read "Homeland", "Exile" and Sojourn first by R.A.Salvatore they are the trilogy that came before the icewind dale trilogy.

I really recommend the War of the Spider Queen series, its a six-part series that is all about the drow. but read those other two trilogies first.
Back to top Go down
Winslow

Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Just got two first person accounts of war on the Eastern Front from Amazon.
"History of the Waffen SS on the Eastern Front" and memoir of an SS soldier.

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 10:35 am

A friend at work let me borrow Stuff White People Like, which is a satirical view of Politically Correct white people. Very entertaining so far.
Back to top Go down
LV9

LV9

Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 11:48 pm

"The savage detectives" by Roberto bolano. interesting read about the exploits o0f a group poets that called themselves the visceral realists.
Back to top Go down

What Are You Reading?
Page 6 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: