HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
 

 What Are You Reading?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
GrampaGrossbart

GrampaGrossbart

Age : 107
Location : The South
Registration date : 2012-03-28

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyMon Jun 19, 2017 1:27 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Lonecoyote wrote:
DrT, read this book years ago also back in High School. Now that all I have is time on my hands I'd like to enjoy reading it again. As you get older one tends to also forget, " a mind is a terrible thing to waste "! 


Also want to refresh my memory with another classic:
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller, I believe I'm a Willy Loman type of guy.....allot of travels in my life but not as a salesman. Over 34 years and at the end I got the shaft as Willy did....lol


KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Always good to be reading the good stuff!

If anyone is interested, this is what else I've assigned this semester
World Civ 1 ... The Bacchae
History of Britain (sophomore level) ... Canterbury Tales, Taming of the Shrew, Sherlock Holmes, A Murder is Announced (Christie)
World 1914-45 ... R.U.R. (Capek), The Blacker the Berry (Wallace Thurman, Harlem Renaissance), Unnatural Death (Sayers), Of Mice & Men

Late to the bacchanalia but glad to see you're teaching Euripides!
Back to top Go down
GrampaGrossbart

GrampaGrossbart

Age : 107
Location : The South
Registration date : 2012-03-28

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyMon Jun 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Have the bad habit of bouncing through half a dozen books at once, but right now I'm mostly focused on Radiant Terminus, a delightfully strange novel by Antoine Volodine.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 67
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2017 7:41 pm

I'm back to scratching my itch for more WWII books. Went trawling through the local library and came home with this - "The Holocaust: Death Camps", edited by Tamara L. Roleff. This is a compiled account from dozens of eye witnesses as well as active participants (prisoners as well as Nazis) in the horror that was the extermination camps. Very chilling and thought provoking!


Cheers?

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 38 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 38 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 38 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Age : 70
Location : southern me
Registration date : 2013-01-11

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 4:03 pm

Just finished David Baldacci's latest "The Fix", had me hooked on the first page, he writes some great stuff.
banjo
Back to top Go down
http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 67
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 3:33 pm

"Two and Two: McSorley's, my Dad, and Me" by Rafe Bartholomew.

A biography by Rafe Bartholomew of the oldest tavern in Manhatten - McSorley's. Fascinating story of its history, its employees, and incidents from the experiences of the son of the oldest bartender. Gritty and real-life. Strong non-pc language. Quite well written and highly recommended!

Cool


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 38 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 38 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 38 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 67
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptySat Jul 08, 2017 7:14 pm

Tried to read "The Last of the Mohicans" but couldn't get into it. The way it's written is too ponderous and difficult for me. Guess I'm not a scholar.

Started re-reading a favorite Bill Bryson Book - "Notes From A Small Island". More my speed I guess!


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 38 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 38 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 38 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Lonecoyote

Lonecoyote

Location : The Seventh Planet From The Sun...Uranus
Registration date : 2016-10-15

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptySat Jul 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Started reading the long version, not the paperback:

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
By William L. Shirer



KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 67
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyThu Jul 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Just started Bill Bryson's "At Home - A Short History Of Private Life". Only a few chapters into it but is has me solidly hooked! I've long been a Bryson fan primarily from his travel books.

"At Home" seems to be very well researched and superbly written as only Bryson can do. I look forward to reading the remaining pages!


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 38 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 38 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 38 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Age : 64
Location : NC
Registration date : 2010-06-21

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyThu Jul 13, 2017 9:46 pm

Still reading MF Horn- autobiography of the god of high note trumpet playing Maynard Ferguson.
Back to top Go down
Navyflake

Navyflake

Age : 54
Location : Michigan
Registration date : 2017-06-01

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyThu Jul 13, 2017 9:57 pm

Currently starting to get back into reading again. I'm halfway through the first in a series titled "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian.

I am not an avid reader and most books that I have bought or have received as gifts must capture my attention within the first few pages or I give them up. This book (and I suspect the remainder of the series) has captured my attention and I enjoy reading from it nightly.

Frank
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake
cajun

cajun

Age : 77
Location : 10 miles SW of Lafayette La
Registration date : 2013-11-19

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Dunkirk   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Refreshing my self so when I go see the Movie I will have some knowledge , read about it long ago, wanted an up date look at it.
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Lonecoyote

Location : The Seventh Planet From The Sun...Uranus
Registration date : 2016-10-15

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyTue Jul 25, 2017 6:58 pm

The Diary of a Young Girl
Author: Anne Frank



VERY SAD TIMES!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 67
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyTue Jul 25, 2017 8:15 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Just started Bill Bryson's "At Home - A Short History Of Private Life". Only a few chapters into it but is has me solidly hooked! I've long been a Bryson fan primarily from his travel books.

"At Home" seems to be very well researched and superbly written as only Bryson can do. I look forward to reading the remaining pages!


Cheers,

RR

This turned out to be a most amazing book. In fact, it's turned out to be one of my most favourite Bryson's books.

The care he took in researching this is obvious. And while it does ramble a bit at times it's always entertaining and very informative. Sometimes even brilliantly engaging.

Well done Bill, and I can't understand why I overlooked this one before. Guess I was caught up in your travel book accounts and somehow thought this would be a let down. It was anything but.

Now onto another of Bryson's non-travel books- "A Short History Of Nearly Everything". This one is rather more, shall we say, challenging..........

But I'm struggling through it.  Neutral


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 38 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 38 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 38 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 67
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptySat Jul 29, 2017 7:52 pm

Just completed Bryson's "A Short History Of Nearly Everything". Frankly it was a challenge to finish this. I'm not much of a scholar, and this is very dense with quite technical and detailed discussion about subjects that I could never grasp when I was in school. And it takes them to the PhD level and beyond!

In spite of that, I did finish it but ended up skimming many of the pages. It was just too far beyond me!  silent   

Bryson clearly did his research (from what I can gather), and for those with more developed minds this will be more relevant. For me, not so much. As always, YMMV.



Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 38 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 38 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 38 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Age : 56
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptySat Jul 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Read The Giving Tree to my youngest grandson over Skype tonight.
Back to top Go down
Bemused

Bemused

Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2015-06-08

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyTue Aug 01, 2017 1:30 pm

"But What if We're Wrong?"- Chuck Klosterman

Some good stuff in here but overall I've enjoyed most of his other stuff better than this. Couple too many thin propositions in my opinion. A fun read nevertheless, Klosterman is great overall.
Back to top Go down
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

Age : 42
Location : Kentucky
Registration date : 2011-07-28

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyTue Aug 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Read The Giving Tree to my youngest grandson over Skype tonight.

Fabulous!
Back to top Go down
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

Age : 42
Location : Kentucky
Registration date : 2011-07-28

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyTue Aug 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Just completed Bryson's "A Short History Of Nearly Everything". Frankly it was a challenge to finish this. I'm not much of a scholar, and this is very dense with quite technical and detailed discussion about subjects that I could never grasp when I was in school. And it takes them to the PhD level and beyond!

In spite of that, I did finish it but ended up skimming many of the pages. It was just too far beyond me!  silent   

Bryson clearly did his research (from what I can gather), and for those with more developed minds this will be more relevant. For me, not so much. As always, YMMV.


Cheers,

RR

OOPS! I put my reply in yours... Embarassed

A more accessible, but still fascinating one of his is "At Home". Its a history of how homes and rooms in homes have changed over the centuries.


Last edited by Fight'n Hampsters on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 67
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyTue Aug 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Fight'n Hampsters wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Just completed Bryson's "A Short History Of Nearly Everything". Frankly it was a challenge to finish this. I'm not much of a scholar, and this is very dense with quite technical and detailed discussion about subjects that I could never grasp when I was in school. And it takes them to the PhD level and beyond!

In spite of that, I did finish it but ended up skimming many of the pages. It was just too far beyond me!  silent   

Bryson clearly did his research (from what I can gather), and for those with more developed minds this will be more relevant. For me, not so much. As always, YMMV.

A more accessible, but still fascinating one of his is "At Home". Its a history of how homes and rooms in homes have changed over the centuries.

Cheers,

RR

Yes, I finished "At Home" just prior to this one and found it to be fascinating. One of his best IMHO.


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 38 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 38 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 38 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 67
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptySat Aug 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Just finished Orwell's 1984. Don't remember ever reading this in the past, but do recall seeing the B&W flick many years ago. Got the book from the library and have the movie reserved.

Now onto another Orwell book - "The Road To Wigan Pier". Saw a reference to this somewhere and am just now checking it out. Another library loan. Very interesting so far.

No political motives at all in either of these choices. Just curiosity.


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 38 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 38 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 38 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
DrT999

DrT999

Age : 62
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptySat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Just finished Orwell's 1984. Don't remember ever reading this in the past, but do recall seeing the B&W flick many years ago. Got the book from the library and have the movie reserved.

Now onto another Orwell book - "The Road To Wigan Pier". Saw a reference to this somewhere and am just now checking it out. Another library loan. Very interesting so far.

No political motives at all in either of these choices. Just curiosity.


Cheers,

RR
Orwell's 'Road to Wigan Pier' and 'Down and Out in Paris and London' are great explorations of the poorer sections of the English working class during the Great Depression, so be prepared.

Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 67
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptySat Aug 19, 2017 7:52 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Just finished Orwell's 1984. Don't remember ever reading this in the past, but do recall seeing the B&W flick many years ago. Got the book from the library and have the movie reserved.

Now onto another Orwell book - "The Road To Wigan Pier". Saw a reference to this somewhere and am just now checking it out. Another library loan. Very interesting so far.

No political motives at all in either of these choices. Just curiosity.


Cheers,

RR
Orwell's 'Road to Wigan Pier' and 'Down and Out in Paris and London' are great explorations of the poorer sections of the English working class during the Great Depression, so be prepared.


Just completed reading both, actually. "Down and Out" being the one I finished just today. Very compelling. Just like one was there. Paints a very black picture, doesn't it!

"Wigan Pier" got a little preachy for me at the end. So I gave it up when Orwell went into his Socialist treatise.


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 38 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 38 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 38 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
DrT999

DrT999

Age : 62
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptySat Aug 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Brewdude wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Just finished Orwell's 1984. Don't remember ever reading this in the past, but do recall seeing the B&W flick many years ago. Got the book from the library and have the movie reserved.

Now onto another Orwell book - "The Road To Wigan Pier". Saw a reference to this somewhere and am just now checking it out. Another library loan. Very interesting so far.

No political motives at all in either of these choices. Just curiosity.


Cheers,

RR
Orwell's 'Road to Wigan Pier' and 'Down and Out in Paris and London' are great explorations of the poorer sections of the English working class during the Great Depression, so be prepared.


Just completed reading both, actually. "Down and Out" being the one I finished just today. Very compelling. Just like one was there. Paints a very black picture, doesn't it!

"Wigan Pier" got a little preachy for me at the end. So I gave it up when Orwell went into his Socialist treatise.


Cheers,

RR

Glad you liked them! But yeah, Orwell does preach; remember it written in light of the Spanish Civil War and the prelude to WWII
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 67
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptyFri Aug 25, 2017 7:51 pm

On a George Orwell kick right now I guess.

Just finished reading Animal Farm. Think I might have read this many years ago but can't be certain. In any case it was interesting and I will not be inclined to make any political statements. Not my style. Or my intent.

So that closes the Orwell series. At as least for me.


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Purple11x 3What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 38 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 38 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Cowboy13What Are You Reading? - Page 38 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
DrT999

DrT999

Age : 62
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

What Are You Reading? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 38 EmptySat Aug 26, 2017 9:42 am

Brewdude wrote:
On a George Orwell kick right now I guess.

Just finished reading Animal Farm. Think I might have read this many years ago but can't be certain. In any case it was interesting and I will not be inclined to make any political statements. Not my style. Or my intent.

So that closes the Orwell series. At as least for me.


Cheers,

RR

There's also his account of the Spanish Civil War ('Homage to Catalonia') and three novels from the 1930s ('Burmese Days', 'The Clergyman's Daughter', and 'Keep the Aspidistra Flying'), although I prefer his other work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
 
What Are You Reading?
Back to top 
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: