Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law
Centurian 803

Registration date : 2008-09-10

Favorite Book? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 7:38 pm

Winslow wrote:
Shelby Footes Trilogy of the American Civil War is the best narrative history
I've ever read and it's perfect for smoking your pipe or a cigar.

Winslow sunny

Gotta agree with you Winslow. Foote's Trilogy is the best thing I ever read on the Civil War (or as we refer to it here in the south The War of Northern Aggression).
For books that are great with pipe or cigar you can't beat Sherlock Holmes or anything by Dickens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:53 am

Centurian 803 wrote:
...the Civil War (or as we refer to it here in the south The War of Northern Aggression).
As well as The War Of Southern Independence Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"
Richard Hester

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: W.E.B. Griffin   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 5:52 pm

Hello all
W.E.B. Griffin is a great author I have all but a couple of his books and love every one. men at war books are great the hardest thing is to put it down so if you dont have time to realy read then wait till you have time. I will give myself two hours on a Sunday with a pot of coffee and a large Nording freehand and I belioeve this is the best time one can have with their colthes on affraid
Back to top Go down
http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 8:43 am

Richard Hester wrote:
I will give myself two hours on a Sunday with a pot of coffee and a large Nording freehand and I belioeve this is the best time one can have with their colthes on affraid

lol! Amen!
Back to top Go down
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 3:26 pm

Walker Percy's The Moviegoer
I see much of myself in Binx Bolling.
Back to top Go down
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large
pipetongue1

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Even' All, I've been reading SF/Fantasy for almost 60 years, favs, The Puppet Masters by Heinlein, The Day of The Triffids,by John Wyndam, reading the Hickory Staff a "portal" novel now, Ken tongue
Pacem en Libris! tongue
Back to top Go down
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"
Richard Hester

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 pm

I must say at least once a year I have to read My Lady Nicotine it was my first "pipe" book . I recieved it while I was in Iraq took me about a month to read it then so from that time every year on the date I read and reflect back its a nice time
Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
Eulenburg

Eulenburg

Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 10:13 pm

I teach French literature so there are some Great Books that I must deal with all the time, like Pascal's Pensées or the Essays of Montaigne, as well as some plays by Racine and Molière.

The fabulous memoires of the Duc de Saint-Simon, the great chronicler of the court at Versailles under the Sun King, are a favourite, an endless source of delight on rainy days and bummy hours. Twelve huge volumes printed on Bible paper!

Saint-Simon had a decisive influence on all writers attempting to re-create an entire world, a whole period in history and the people who populated it, from Tolstoy and Proust to Henry James, Faulkner, Churchill, Bruce Catton and many others.

I also love Tolstoy. His great three novels, the even greater novellas and short stories, his plays. But a book I can't do without is his War and Peace. My grandparents were Russian émigrés and they loved this book above all others. I can still hear my grandmother's voice reading it out loud and explaining it to us children. It's "truer than truth itself", as Nabokov said.
Back to top Go down
clifwith1f

clifwith1f

Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 10:45 pm

My favorite book is and probably always will be:

Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Back to top Go down
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 11:41 pm

Winslow wrote:
Shelby Footes Trilogy of the American Civil War is the best narrative history
I've ever read and it's perfect for smoking your pipe or a cigar.

Winslow sunny

I met Shelby several times at conferences and meetings over in Memphis a while back. Great fellow, and could he tell a story, he'd keep everyone on the room spellbound with his topics, choice of words, and dialect.

Natch
Back to top Go down
beaupipe

beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 4:21 am

Penthouse Forum, April, 1986. The Spring Break Special Edition. Year I turned 21.

That was some fine literature. I have the Norton annotated edition.
Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsh.....a three volume edition in one binding that every human on Earth should have to read.
Back to top Go down
Leumas80

Leumas80

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:11 pm

My 2 favorite books are "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, an avid smoker of the briar I might add, and "Chosen For Life" by Sam Storms.
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
andr3wrams3y

Registration date : 2011-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 11:39 pm

I enjoyed Radical by David Platt. But one of my favorite tomes is Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias.
Back to top Go down
billmess

billmess

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 2:14 pm

I am a little suprised that 1984 and Brave New World were not mentioned.....
So I am mentioning them.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Stackle2

Stackle2

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 2:31 pm

Just finished re-reading Robinson Crusoe for the first time since I was 11. It definately holds up. Was my favorite book as a child, & I must say, its still pretty damn good.

Really on an Aldous Huxley kick right now though, can't seem to get enough of him.

Besides that, anything by Chuck Palanuik
Back to top Go down
IronKnight

IronKnight

Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: thomas harris   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Anything by Thomas Harris, Hannibal is my favorite book of all time.
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 5:14 pm

"3 Lives" by Gertrude Stein, "A Room of One's Own" by Virginia Woolf.
Back to top Go down
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 2:27 am

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
Back to top Go down
sf1973

Registration date : 2011-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:24 am

I have read many, many fantastic books, but the only one I have ever thought of immediately re-reading was the Count of Monte Cristo. Sweet, sweet revenge!
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:54 am

Two of my favorites are "Toxophilus" by Roger Ascham and "On The Road, The Scroll" by Jack Kerouac. santa
Back to top Go down
JM

JM

Registration date : 2011-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Besides the Bible...just one? Can't do it...Anna Karenina, Christian in Complete Armour, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Shogun, too many to list.
Back to top Go down
http://More then one. PM me if you want the links.
roogles

roogles

Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Favorite book of all time is actually a set (although they are often bundled together into a single physical tome).

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (trilogy?) by Douglas Adams.

Read it for the first time in ninth grade, and have enjoyed it hundreds of times since then.

Second favorite would be Lamb, the Gospel according to Biff - Christ's childhood pal by Christopher Moore.

Any other Douglas Adams or Chris Moore fans?

Back to top Go down
http://blog.roogles.com
taja-big dog

taja-big dog

Registration date : 2010-11-01

PostSubject: Favourite Book   Favorite Book? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 7:57 pm

Tinker,Tailor,Soldier, Spy by John LeCarre..the master of spy fiction.
Back to top Go down

Favorite Book?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: