Favorite Book?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
skullnbones

skullnbones

Registration date : 2011-09-28

Favorite Book? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Keep the Aspidistra Flying - George Orwell

The Hobbit & LOTR Series - J.R.R. Tolkien

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

These are the six that I always come back to every couple of years. Nothing too eye opening, just good fun to read.
Back to top Go down
Behike54

Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 2:35 am

The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles

The Sparrow by Marie Doria Russell
Back to top Go down
Briar_Bear

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 3:43 am

The Hobbit is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
sam a

sam a

Registration date : 2012-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Milan wrote:
Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace

great book... DFW's Oblivion takes the cake for me though.
Back to top Go down
Behike54

Behike54

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:23 pm

sam a wrote:
Milan wrote:
Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace

great book... DFW's Oblivion takes the cake for me though.

DAMN and shame on me. EVERYTHING by DFW is a favorite and Infinite Jest is a masterpiece.

Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 10:17 pm

I've read Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy several times. Great read and the remake last year was enjoyable as well.

All time favorite puffing a pipe while I read has been The Hobbit. I cannot attempt to recount how many times I have read this book. Heck, I guess I'll read it next!

Another great series and it took me 2 years to read, was The Wheel of Time series. There are something like a dozen books and each is about 800-900 pages long. Great detail has been put into the descriptions of the the imaginary world, culture, clothes, customs and characters. I believe book 4 was one that most people had the most trouble getting through as it was a bit slow.

Read Clancy novels that kept me up way past my bed time. There was always that one chapter you read where 3 sub-plots come together and you have no choice but to finish the novel at that point.

H.P. Lovecraft. A great turn of the century horror writer of short stories. If you grew up in the gloomy New England coastal winters, you will enjoy these horror classics.

On the business book side, Lean Startup, E-Myth Revisited, Purple Cow, and Presenting To Win are books I have reread.

For problem solving I have read Think Better several times.

Back to top Go down
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:14 am

Geoff, we have much in common.

Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy is a GREAT book. If you like John Le Carre and the whole spy novel genre, Daniel Silva is a modern novelist whose Gabriel Allon series is, for my money, unrivaled by modern thriller novelists.

Wheel of time has been on my "to read" list for a while. I think I'm probably going to dig into this spring.

My favorite book? How do you choose only one! Depending on my mood, I could say Jude the Obscure, A Tale of Two Cities, To Kill a Mockingbird, or The Count of Monte Cristo.

I will say this, though - I've loved reading for a very long time, and it has played a very large role in who I am and how my life has been shaped. I think a lot of this is thanks to a book I read as a child which sort of "set me on the path" of being an avid reader from an early age. I owe a lot to Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.
Back to top Go down
Behike54

Behike54

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:21 pm

idbowman wrote:

My favorite book? How do you choose only one!

I will say this, though - I've loved reading for a very long time, and it has played a very large role in who I am and how my life has been shaped. I think a lot of this is thanks to a book I read as a child which sort of "set me on the path" of being an avid reader from an early age. I owe a lot to Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.

Agreed. Books are a lighting rod into ourselves about the world, past, present, and future. I cannot imagine what my life and sensibilities would be not having read certain books.

Sometimes I think "important" books (to the person) is often more interesting than favorite.

"Illusions" by Richard Bach is such a book for me.
"The Color of Water" and "The Glass Castle are such books.

I often love biographies for this reason, usually those of great artists or visionaries.
Back to top Go down
Tim_Haggerty

Tim_Haggerty

Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 6:49 pm

I try to make a point of reading "The Dead" by Joyce every New Year's Eve. It is a novella, really, but the last page never fails to move me, more so as I get older.
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 7:53 pm

idbowman I'm going to put Daniel Silva on the list of to-reads. Never read his books.
Back to top Go down
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:51 pm

If I were being prescriptive, I'd rec the Great American novels: Huck Finn, Scarlet Letter, Moby Dick and Grapes of Wrath. MD has special themes for this board. Cap'n Ahab and Stubb, one of the mates, are both briar bros. Ahab throws his pipe overboard as a symbolic rejection of human comforts. Stubb keeps six (I think) pipes loaded and ready to go for each day. Some readers have said MD has too many digressions, but I can't think of a single one of 'em that the book would be better without.

If you'd just like a fun read try Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon. Fellow Pittsburghers should read Annie Dillards, An American Childhood.

You may also enjoy Cormac McCarthy's The Road, or No Country for Old Men, though I like better one of his earlier books, Suttree, in which McCarthy offers a sub-plot in which our hero takes up with a fetching young thing when every fiber of his being should scream nononononoNO! But McCarthy follows the trail well past the point of consummation, and, faced with the need to put a bow on this package . . . Well, no, I won't spoil it.
Back to top Go down
idbowman

idbowman

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 10:37 am

If anyone is having a go at the American Classics, I think A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith, 1943) is a must.
Back to top Go down
kodos44

kodos44

Registration date : 2011-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:56 am

The Game of Thrones series (thus far) by George RR Martin (fantasy)
Mission Earth, umm dekology hah, by L Ron Hubbard (sci fi)
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card (sci fi)
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Back to top Go down
Variable

Variable

Registration date : 2012-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Can't pick just one!

"The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy" by Douglas Adams
I read the collected stories of H.P Lovecraft year round for some reason. I have four of the compilation books published by Arkham House some years ago.
Back to top Go down
idbowman

idbowman

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:02 am

kodos44 wrote:

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card (sci fi)

My favorite sci-fi book/series, hands down. Truly excellent.
Back to top Go down
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:32 pm

The Life of Johnson by James Boswell, Esq., is arguably the greatest biography in the English language. Johnson was a writer in 18th C. England, Boswell was his buddy and the the two rambled around London and England with Bozzy taking notes on everything J said and did. It's like a visit back a couple centuries to another country. Yes, the book is a real doorstop, but Johnson was such an interesting, politically incorrect (for today) and outrageous character that the book can be memorable if it selects you as its right reader. Besides, it doesn't have to be read from beginning to end. It lends itself to serendippity.
Back to top Go down
WilliamtheWorldEater

WilliamtheWorldEater

Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Geeeeezus, where to start?
If I named a specific book as being my favorite, Id probably end up revising it within a few minutes.

My universe of favorite writers probably runs like the Mayan pantheon.....

The writers who have had, and continue to have, the most profound effect on my life and thought:
HENRY MILLER!!!!(read the Tropic books more times than I can count)
Hermann Hesse
William S. Burroughs
Hunter Thompson

Ive been reading the work of Chuck Palahniuk, off and on, since I was in Iraq in '08/'09.

Recently, I read Burroughs' Red Night trilogy(Cities Of The Red Night, The Place Of Dead Roads, and The Western Lands). Couldnt recommend them highly enough; however, they contain subject matter a lot of people cant seem to handle, which is a shame, because they are cheating themselves out of wholly unique and profound literary experience.
Back to top Go down
GamleVking

GamleVking

Registration date : 2012-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptySat May 19, 2012 6:44 am

This is one of the first books I ever read on the subject of pipes. This is a great read for someone just getting into the hobbie.

Favorite Book? - Page 3 Thepipe
Back to top Go down
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptySat May 19, 2012 11:56 am

Herment's book is a terrific read. Only problem is I'm pretty sure it's been out of print for quite some time. So the BofB's should do this -- Go on Amazon, do a search in books and click the link that says it should be published in Kindle format. (I'm assuming that the publisher doesn't see enough demand to do another hard copy edition.) You can get it used, of course. The line art in the book is excellent; hope they'd include it in an e-version, but they ofen do not:-(
Back to top Go down
Hurckles

Hurckles

Registration date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: favorite book is...   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 4:22 pm

The Count of Monte Cristo.
...an Amazing book...have not read it in years, but it surely is deserving of the title "a Classic"...unfortunately hollywood trashed the ending in a decent attempt to tell the story, but hey, happy endings sell movie tickets i guess.
Back to top Go down
http://perpetualstateofautumn.blogspot.com/
Hurckles

Hurckles

Registration date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: excellent   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 4:29 pm

sf1973 wrote:
I have read many, many fantastic books, but the only one I have ever thought of immediately re-reading was the Count of Monte Cristo. Sweet, sweet revenge!

I just posted this as my favorite, glad to see another CMC fan out there.
Back to top Go down
http://perpetualstateofautumn.blogspot.com/
MrFox

MrFox

Registration date : 2012-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:46 am

As a seminary student, am I obligated to say The Bible (ESV)? Lol.

Well, besides that I'd say:

The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul

The entire Harry Potter series. I've read through the first 4 books 10+ times (Nerd!) and the last 3 multiple times as well.

I also absolutely love anything by Dumas. Particularly The Count of Monte Cristo, which I've now read 3 times and is the longest book I've ever read. That is, until I manage to finish War and Peace someday.
Back to top Go down
http://www.adriennefoxphotography.com
GrampaGrossbart

GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 1:20 pm

I realized a long time ago I wasn't the sort of person who could ever settle on a favorite anything for very long--too many beloved great works to narrow it down to just one! That said, I certainly have texts I return to again and again, and find both familiar comforts and new nuances each time I do so. Fiction-wise, my tastes are quite broad, extending from the supposed lofty heights of classic works and "literary fiction" all the way down to the so-called ghettos of sundry genres. As the weather warms and the skeletal aspen copses again thicken with leaves, I find myself recalling passages from two of my favorite Italo Calvino novels, The Cloven Viscount and The Baron in the Trees. Both are marvelous works that balance the profound with the whimsical, and fit a late spring mindset to a T.

Of course, if I did have to pick just one, Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian; or, The Evening Redness in the West might fit the bill--probably his least accessible work, it's the sort of once-in-a-generation novel that demands the reader's full, careful engagement with the text lest they be lost in a whirlwind of poetic prose that spins them out of the narrative. It's as brilliant a meditation on the human condition and our inherent brutality as I've ever read, and that it's rendered in such beautiful yet elegiac language is what elevates it to masterpiece status. If you enjoy a challenging Western along the lines of John Hillcoat's film The Proposition, where the meticulously researched history imbues the proceedings with a haunting inevitability, then this is the book you've been waiting for.

Also recommended to those who just want to read about the baddest of badasses shooting it out in a vision of the West that borders on the surreal but is probably closer to the reality than your average Buckskin Brown paperback!
Back to top Go down
TheSmokeamater

TheSmokeamater

Registration date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Joris-Karl Huysmans, Against Nature.
Back to top Go down
Fishfuzz

Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 2:21 am

While not a single book, per se, The Dark Tower series has to be one of my top (followed closely by The Princess Bride).
Back to top Go down

Favorite Book?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: