Favorite Book?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Buckshot

Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

Favorite Book? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Fishfuzz wrote:
While not a single book, per se, The Dark Tower series has to be one of my top (followed closely by The Princess Bride).

The Dark Tower series is one of my all time favorites. Have you heard that he has another volume in the series that is supposed to fit somewhere in the middle of the series, like volume 4.5 or something like that? I think it is already out in hardcover. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Fishfuzz

Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Buckshot wrote:
Fishfuzz wrote:
While not a single book, per se, The Dark Tower series has to be one of my top (followed closely by The Princess Bride).

The Dark Tower series is one of my all time favorites. Have you heard that he has another volume in the series that is supposed to fit somewhere in the middle of the series, like volume 4.5 or something like that? I think it is already out in hardcover. cheers cheers

Favorite Book? - Page 4 1the-wind-through-the-keyhole
The Wind Through the Keyhole
http://goo.gl/UsPDu

I found it to be an excellent addition to the series.
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 10:18 am

Terry goodkind's sword of truth series are the best ever.
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 11:20 am

Just saw the posts on the Dark Tower series.

Coincidentally, I'm in the process of a good re-read of the entire Dune saga (including prequels and all that...so it's gonna take some time). As soon as I wrap that up, DT is next on the list!

...I'm also "re-reading" The Count of Monte Cristo for the the umpteenth time (by which I mean I'm listening to the unabridged version on CD whenever I"m in the car).
Back to top Go down
klause

klause

Registration date : 2012-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 3:49 pm

The book I re-read most often, or sometimes, just dip into is the Gormenghast trilogy, by Mervyn Peake.

Peake was, first and foremost, an artist.

To me, he painted with words - and created a work of unsurpassed beauty.

Back to top Go down
WaydeG

WaydeG

Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 4:30 pm

i.keenum wrote:
Terry goodkind's sword of truth series are the best ever.

That and Raymond Feist's Magician. One drawback to these series are the sheer number of books in the series. Three is plenty.
Never picked up Robert Jordan.

David Gemmell Troy series is one of the best I've ever read. I like historical fiction.
Back to top Go down
Jers

Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: No Country For Old Men   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 5:10 pm

My most read book and one of my enduring favourites - “No Country For Old Men" by Cormac McCarthy.

I love the Sheriff's monologues and McCarthy's unique style of writing (without adherence to accepted grammatical rules).

Plenty of other books that I would describe as favourites but this is one that I keep going back to.

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
GrampaGrossbart

GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 10:41 pm

klause wrote:
The book I re-read most often, or sometimes, just dip into is the Gormenghast trilogy, by Mervyn Peake.

Peake was, first and foremost, an artist.

To me, he painted with words - and created a work of unsurpassed beauty.

Glad to meet another Peake freak, Klause--I'm reading them for the first time, and having recently finished the second, I'm taking a break to get caught up on some less intense works before finishing the series. I never want it to end! It really is a phenomenal, one of a kind work--he breaks every rule you hear people trot out about good writing, and just soars. Here's what I said about the books, a while back on the "what are you reading" thread.
Back to top Go down
Anasazi6

Anasazi6

Registration date : 2013-01-16

PostSubject: Favorite Book   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 3:25 am

"The Grapes of Wrath", "Travels With Charley", and just about anything by Steinbeck. Another book similar to "Travels With Charley" is "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. I must have read it at least 5 times. Also, anything by Charles Kuralt
Back to top Go down
geordiebooker

geordiebooker

Registration date : 2013-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 2:48 pm

My favourite books are:

The Ragged-Trousered philanthropists by Robert Tressell.

Waterlog by Roger Deakin.

Any any book by Lloyd Kahn from Shelter Publications.

If you haven't come across any of these I seriously recommend that you check them out.......You won't be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Hard to pick just one book. Birds of Prey or Monsoon by Wilbur Smith. Liked them so much i've read everything he's published. His Egyptian series was awesome as well.
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 1:00 am

Probably Dostojevsky's The Possessed. Or Dead House... really hard to pick between those two.

Or.....

The Loser by Thomas Bernhard
Setting Sun by Osamu Dazai
The Nonexistent Knight by Italo Calvino

This is impossible! Very Happy I hope of course that the ultimate favourite is yet to come.........
Back to top Go down
Trifecta13

Trifecta13

Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Anasazi6 wrote:
"The Grapes of Wrath", "Travels With Charley", and just about anything by Steinbeck.
This. With a strong recommendation for Cannery Row. As a huge fan of good humor writers I would also suggest "Lamb" by Christopher Moore and "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
Back to top Go down
CareyBlueBoar

CareyBlueBoar

Registration date : 2013-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Haunted Bookshop and Parnassus on Wheels, by Christopher Morley, are among my favorites. Easy reading, not extensively long, and have the mention on pipe smoking throughout. Great books for a rainy afternoon.
Back to top Go down
petertschantz

petertschantz

Registration date : 2010-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 8:11 pm

mine would be the the Bible and Hemingway's Short stories as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.petertschantz.com/
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 11:34 pm

I'll play along and not make any excuses for not being decisive, though I'm often indecisive.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig. I've read it several times; always enjoy it and get something new from it. Not much room remaining in the borders for more personal notes.
Back to top Go down
camky

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Book?   Favorite Book? - Page 4 EmptySat May 18, 2013 1:47 pm

anna karenina tolstiy
Back to top Go down
http://www.swisscubancigars.com/

Favorite Book?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: