Any Charatan experts?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

Any Charatan experts? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Charatan experts?   Any Charatan experts? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Did Charatan coat their bowls?  I can't remember.

Don't know about today's but never back in the '60s thru '80s when I was buying them ! Twisted Evil

Last edited by monbla256 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Any Charatan experts?   Any Charatan experts? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Rolling Eyes OOPS
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Any Charatan experts?   Any Charatan experts? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Is there any significance to whether an X-out Charatan was Xed out with the asterisk or with a simple Xs? One of my first pipes was an X-out, and Xs were used. Later on, I ran into many more X-outs where big "*"s were used to mark out the stampings. I've always wondered if it indicated something, or if it was whatever the people at the factory had handy insofar as stamping tools.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Any Charatan experts?   Any Charatan experts? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Is there any significance to whether an X-out Charatan was Xed out with the asterisk or with a simple Xs?  One of my first pipes was an X-out, and Xs were used.  Later on, I ran into many more X-outs where big "*"s were used to mark out the stampings.  I've always wondered if it indicated something, or if it was whatever the people at the factory had handy insofar as stamping tools.

The x'd out pipes were those sold when Dunhill bought Charatan the first time during the '80s. Besides just a single X they completly x'd out the name Charatan on some.This is the best explination/history I've found on Charatan: https://www.alpascia.com/moments/en/detail/81/charatan-pipes
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Any Charatan experts?   Any Charatan experts? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Right. I understand that. I'm asking about the symbols used to do the Xing out.
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Any Charatan experts?   Any Charatan experts? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2018 6:50 pm

ch as in chair, or ch as in sheep? Until recently, I'd never heard anyone say Chairatan.
Back to top Go down

Any Charatan experts?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: